• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preparing for Black E4

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    I have just finished the eight gym and want to finalise my team before hitting Victory Road. My current team is all level 47-48. I have captured almost everything available up to this point (no Throh), for possible adding/changing. I especially want to add a sixth before I go any further! I cannot trade, so no Conkeldurr, etc.

Samurott @ Mystic Water
    Torrent
    Quiet Nature (+SAtt, -Spd)
    Surf
    Megahorn
    Grass Knot
    Focus Energy

Probably a pretty standard-looking starter. Focus Energy is just sitting there until I replace it with something I will actually use. His Hidden Power is Electric, but testing suggests it is *very* low power. I guess his IVs were ideal for a mixed attacker. Despite Quiet nature, Attack and Special Attack have been within a few points of each other the whole time.

Gothitelle @ Magnet
    Frisk
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    Fake Tears

The reason I picked Black. I was expecting a fast Striker, like Alakazam, but got something quite different. She has comparable speed to Samurott with higher defences and lower Special Attack. She is providing good type coverage, however.

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
    Sand Force
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Rock Slide
    Swords Dance

Undoubtably the power-house of my team. This guy take hits, and dishes them out, better than any other Pokemon I have tried (in this generation). Good type coverage and able to switch into just about anything comfortably, I doubt I have anything more reliable.

Mienfoo @ Expert Belt
    Regenerator
    Adamant Nature (+Att, -SAtt)
    Jump Kick
    U-turn
    Rock Slide
    Drain Punch

Fantastic type coverage, not to mention the usefulness of easy HP recovery. He is extremely fragile, and this not-yet-evolved form is a step behind everything else in all regards, I expect he will be my fast sweeper once he does evolve. I could see that dropping Drain Punch for another element would improve his already fantastic coverage, but am hesitant to lose the drain effect.

Chandelure @ Charcoal
    Flash Fire
    Quirky Nature (no change)
    Shadow Ball
    Flash Fire
    Will-O-Wisp
    Memento

This guy has disgusting stats and (for me at least) useful typing. I want to replace Memento with another attack (or a buff). Possibly replace Will-O-Wisp too, to better abuse his Special Attack. Since evolving, he has been one of my most useful Pokemon, so seems a pretty solid stayer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2011
    I have just finished the eight gym and want to finalise my team before hitting Victory Road. My current team is all level 47-48. I have captured almost everything available up to this point (no Throh), for possible adding/changing. I especially want to add a sixth before I go any further! I cannot trade, so no Conkeldurr, etc.

Samurott @ Mystic Water
    Torrent
    Quiet Nature (+SAtt, -Spd)
    Surf
    Megahorn
    Grass Knot
    Focus Energy

Probably a pretty standard-looking starter. Focus Energy is just sitting there until I replace it with something I will actually use. His Hidden Power is Electric, but testing suggests it is *very* low power. I guess his IVs were ideal for a mixed attacker. Despite Quiet nature, Attack and Special Attack have been within a few points of each other the whole time.

Gothitelle @ Magnet
    Frisk
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    Fake Tears

The reason I picked Black. I was expecting a fast Striker, like Alakazam, but got something quite different. She has comparable speed to Samurott with higher defences and lower Special Attack. She is providing good type coverage, however.

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
    Sand Force
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    Earthquake
    Metal Claw
    Rock Slide
    Swords Dance

Undoubtably the power-house of my team. This guy take hits, and dishes them out, better than any other Pokemon I have tried (in this generation). Good type coverage and able to switch into just about anything comfortably, I doubt I have anything more reliable.

Mienfoo @ Expert Belt
    Regenerator
    Adamant Nature (+Att, -SAtt)
    Jump Kick
    U-turn
    Rock Slide
    Drain Punch

Fantastic type coverage, not to mention the usefulness of easy HP recovery. He is extremely fragile, and this not-yet-evolved form is a step behind everything else in all regards, I expect he will be my fast sweeper once he does evolve. I could see that dropping Drain Punch for another element would improve his already fantastic coverage, but am hesitant to lose the drain effect.

Chandelure @ Charcoal
    Flash Fire
    Quirky Nature (no change)
    Shadow Ball
    Flash Fire
    Will-O-Wisp
    Memento

This guy has disgusting stats and (for me at least) useful typing. I want to replace Memento with another attack (or a buff). Possibly replace Will-O-Wisp too, to better abuse his Special Attack. Since evolving, he has been one of my most useful Pokemon, so seems a pretty solid stayer.

Good going so far! But... like you said, you need a sixth member.

For the last move on Samurott, I suggest Aqua Jet. I've always hated it when I lose to the Elite 4 just because I didn't have a priority move.... If not that, then maybe Blizzard/Ice Beam or Night Slash.

Gothitelle is looking good. Fake Tears to soften up and then maul them. Not bad.

Excadrill is looking fantasitc as well. Swords Dance then maul. What I don't like about him though, is his lack of a good Steel type move. If only he got Meteor Mash... Ahh well, whatever, looking good nonetheless.

Mienfoo looks amazing as well. It's nice how you make use of his ability with U-Turn so he gain regain some HP. That and Drain Punch is some deadly stuff. I would tell you to replace High Jump Kick with Fake Out for some opening damage, but Drain Punch has low PP so you need another move to back it up. Nice work on this guy.

Chandelure needs some work. I'm not sure if you mean Flamethrower instead of Flashfire, but if not, get him Flamethrower. All I can say is get him Energy Ball or Psychic, to counter Water and Fighting Pokemon, in place of Momento.

Now, you explained your need for a sixth pokemon. If I may, I suggest Haxorus. I have one myself and let me tell you, he is goo-oo-ood! He's got a pretty good movepool so I can only tell you to check him out. Mine knows Earthquake, Brick Break, Swords Dance, Outrage. (I've beat the Elites so I got Earthquake, so replace that with something.)

Heads up though, make sure you stock up on healing items and ultra balls, because right after you beat the Elites, you have to catch your legendary dragon, and battle 2 of the most powerful trainers in the game (not telling for spoiler purposes).

Good luck!

Back