• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Principal assualts student for wearing GSA t-shirt

Years
  • Can we have one thread that doesn't sound like a boring version of my Political Science classes?

This coming from the state that tried to outlaw "sharia Law" which made no sense for a multitude of reasons. Tell the principal I said I like my burgers medium rare.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2011
    [SIZE="a"]To all the people say stuff about tennessians, your no better than a homophobic person[/SIZE]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Well, I think that the discussion about teaching tolerance to students is a tough struggle, but I do think that tolerance is something that the school faculty should have to learn without dispute. Okay, so people might say that the faculty's rights may be trampled on, but in reality, like the military, public schools are in a totally different arena of free speech; you cannot go up to a black student and make a racial slur, let alone physically intimidate him/her. I know at the university here, it is required to take cultural diversity for all degrees, and in the education program, you must take diversity in the classroom.

I am not sure what Tennessee's curriculum is, but I think that in order to make schools a better environment for learning, that the staff should be required to take a course in the understanding of diversity in schools. Does this sound fair? Would this at least help to prevent incidences like this? I don't know, what do you guys think?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well, I think that the discussion about teaching tolerance to students is a tough struggle, but I do think that tolerance is something that the school faculty should have to learn without dispute. Okay, so people might say that the faculty's rights may be trampled on, but in reality, like the military, public schools are in a totally different arena of free speech; you cannot go up to a black student and make a racial slur, let alone physically intimidate him/her. I know at the university here, it is required to take cultural diversity for all degrees, and in the education program, you must take diversity in the classroom.

I am not sure what Tennessee's curriculum is, but I think that in order to make schools a better environment for learning, that the staff should be required to take a course in the understanding of diversity in schools. Does this sound fair? Would this at least help to prevent incidences like this? I don't know, what do you guys think?

Here's my stance on that:
    In a public school, which is run by the government, for faculty is fair game. I'm uneasy about requiring it of private schools, though.

Not really teaching tolerance, but just training staff on how to deal with issue that could arise with LGBT students.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Can we have one thread that doesn't sound like a boring version of my Political Science classes?

This coming from the state that tried to outlaw "sharia Law" which made no sense for a multitude of reasons. Tell the principal I said I like my burgers medium rare.

Sad to say, but any topic dealing with the rights or lack there of for certian groups is occasionally going to sound like a boring version of your political science class.

Imo, if you find that class boring then you should have gotten out.

And I call blasphemy. Everyone knows the burgers are only good when well done or rare. This 'medium rare' is for people who can't decide what they really want.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Here's my stance on that:
    In a public school, which is run by the government, for faculty is fair game. I'm uneasy about requiring it of private schools, though.

Not really teaching tolerance, but just training staff on how to deal with issue that could arise with LGBT students.

Yeah, that is a good distinction. I was like, I am not quite sure how to teach tolerance, but yes, teachers/administrators should be knowledgeable about how to deal with conflicts that arise from LGBT students.

Private schools, yeah, they are not funded by government so..nyeah I guess there is not much to be done to prevent this behavior. A private school student could always take legal action if he/she is assaulted in such a fashion. So if a private school administrator didn't learn the proper way of dealing with the conflict, he can just face legal repercussions, lol.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've got this:

Principal assualts student for wearing GSA t-shirt

Seriously, even in a Bible-thumping, gay-hating state like Tennessee, how does somebody who is such a thug reach a position where he has power over an entire classroom, let alone a school? This should never have been allowed to happen - there needs to be more of a sophisticated screening process for potential educators. I think what states like Tennessee need to do is start outsourcing teachers from states where the people are... you know... sane.

Though I'm glad this happened, because as Penatrait said, now the law will get this mofo and that's one less anti-gay bully that future students will have to deal with.

Back