• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Problems with Trading

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2021
    So, here's the deal. I bought Blue and started playing and soon I got into it pretty well. So now I'm at Lavender Town and thought I'd trade a few of my pokemon around so I can get their evolutions (Gravlier and Kadabra) but trying to trade between Blue and Silver didn't work. By the way I have 2 GBA SP's that I'm doing this on. I don't have GBC's.

It kept saying that the Time Capsule was being Adjusted. So, I found out you need to get half way through the game and see Bill in a Poke Center to have that fixed. So, not wanting to fight all the way through Silver just to trade a few pokemon I figured I'd just get Red.

So, the next day (no joke) a friend of mine I haven't seen in a long time needed help with a computer. I go to her house to help and tell her about my Pokemon problem. She stops me, goes into her room and pulls out pokemon RED! She hands it to me and says, "it's yours, take it"! hahaha I was like WTF!? She got it for 10 cents and didn't want it so she gave it to me!

So, today I was like, "awesome!" and decided to trade some pokemon around. So I go get a ways in Red and get some new pokemon. I didn't defeat the first Gym leader but I wanted to just trade so I can get my Evolutions!

So, I finally get enough in Red to trade around... So I link em up and one GBA-SP says "Apply Here" so I do. The other one doesn't look like it's responding. Then the one that said "Apply Here" says,

"Please Wait. The link has been closed because of inactivity."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T I JUST TRADE SOME POKEMON AROUND!?!?!? I thought this was supposed to be easy!

So here I am now. I'm pretty confused and flustered because all I want to do is trade. :(

Please help! I've looked for other topics on this and I couldn't find anything so if you can help it would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Hm... Which link cable are you using? You have to use a Gameboy Colour link cable to trade.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2021
    It is true, I am using a normal GBA link cable. Do GBC cables work with the GBA-SP?

Years
    • it/its
    • Seen Nov 26, 2022
    Synchronize said:
    No. Only GBA Cables work with GBAs.

*BZZT!* Wrong! GBC Link-cables work perfectly fine with GBA/GBA SP/GB Player IF you are using a GBC game to trade or do battle! I've tested this myself to trade from Silver to Crystal, and to battle from Crystal to Crystal. And you might want an official Nintendo brand link cable if you can lay hands on it, if not, get a GameStop or EBGames brand one for short-term use.

Fl0W:HHGURU

Used to be pokEMOn UseR =]
    Years
  • Im guessing that because it says
    "Please Wait. The link has been closed because of inactivity."
    Then this must mean that the other gba console must not be working, when it cleary is. I think you could need a new cable, but you should try a freinds link cable before you buy a new one. It might be something else.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2021
    hhmm, interesting.

With the GBA link cables there's a Player 1 and a Player 2 end. The player 1 end works just fine to "Apply for Trading" but the Player 2 side is always the one that won't recognize that there's a cable in.

I didn't think about getting an official Nintendo cable. I'll check into it. This is just frustrating because I'm getting tired of not being to trade when I have all the "equipment" for it. Ya know?

Thanks for the responses.

****Update. I bought a Nintendo Brand Link Cable. Hopefully it will work now. I'm also going to buy a Game Boy Color link cable and see if that works in my GBA-SP. Hopefully they'll work.... all I want to do is trade my pokemon. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2021
    More lube? o_O Sounds dirty. lol

I still haven't been able to. I think my Pokemon are trapped for eternity in their respective colors... :/

Back