• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Oak or Ms.Ketchum

Who is more supportive?

• Professor Oak

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Ms.Ketcum

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

supertails

Dictator
Years
  • Who do you find as more of a support in Ash's adventures and training, Professor Oak or Ash's mom. For me I have to say Professor Oak because he really seems to always be their to talk to Ash and give him helpful advise. Professor Oak gives him encouragement and is a good friend to him. His Mom seems to just not really want him to be home. Though she acts motherly around people, I have never even seen her touch him not alone a hug. Ash is probably gone for months at a time and you never once to them hugging. If I was gone for months I know my Mom would hug me but that's a different story.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • I'd say professor Oak.. he wants ash to follow his dreams and such..
    His mum simply worries about him..

For some reason.. hugging isn't exactly what you would see in the anime.. the closest thing you'll get to see is a handshake.

Have you ever seen 2 ppl hug in the anime?
    The only hugs we see are between ash and his pokemon.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    His Mom seems to just not really want him to be home. Though she acts motherly around people, I have never even seen her touch him not alone a hug. Ash is probably gone for months at a time and you never once to them hugging. If I was gone for months I know my Mom would hug me but that's a different story.

His mum just wants Ash to be happy and he's happy Pokemon training. Its not that she doesn't want him home. And they did show her caring, she was completly fussing over all the stuff he should take with him on his first day, encouraging him on the telephone after his first day and she was sad to see him leave in Home is Where the Start is. I'm pretty sure there were tears in her eyes.

Years
  • I think it's a constant, Oak is the rock while his mother is his hope. Both are his motivation (give Oak many Pokemon and to succeed for his mother), but what context and how he goes about it. Lately, there has been more focus on the mother (the Sunday episodes and the most recent anime appearance), so she's catching up.

I'm going to say draw.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • I think it's a constant, Oak is the rock while his mother is his hope. Both are his motivation (give Oak many Pokemon and to succeed for his mother), but what context and how he goes about it. Lately, there has been more focus on the mother (the Sunday episodes and the most recent anime appearance), so she's catching up.

I'm going to say draw.

You make a good point but I still have to go with Oak. Did you vote though or did you just leave it blank.?

.Azelf

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2008
    I'm going with Prof.Oak on this one as well. He helped Ash alot more than his mom ever did in the anime.

darkphoenixdude

Phoenix Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    Professor Oak because he is very clever ^_^ And he has helped Ash along the way ^_^ But he doesn't provide any emotion for him, or encouragement really...That's his mom's job ^_^

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • I think Professor Oak is very encouraging. I think he as provided a lot of support and he trust Ash too. Ash is the one he trusted with the GS ball. I don't think Ms.Ketchum is that trusting of him.

darkphoenixdude

Phoenix Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    How can she not trust him? XD He is her son! :P I don't think Professor Oak provides like..emotional support :D Like he doesn't say: You can do it Ash, or stuff like that much.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • Families aren't alway loving and trusting. Forgive me for going off topic a bit but anyway a lot of parents are abusive to their kids. True Ms.Ketchum isn't like that but just because she doesn't hit Ash doesn't mean she trust Ash. It's not good to believe in universal family support because it's very rare. Mom and Dads have been known to kick their own kids into the street just being different. 40% of it is because of them being gay. Family doesn't [SIZE=-1]guarantee[/SIZE] anything. True Professor Oak doesn't really you can do it much but I think he's a better support for Ash.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    I'm pretty sure she did hug in once in the earlier episodes. Maybe she knows it embarrasses him.

I can't really decide, but Oak did help him out a lot more.. but I wouldn't say one was more supportive of the other.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Miss Ketchum seems to care for Ash, but once when Ash returned home she was only happy to see Pikachu and use Ash's trophy as a weight for exercise. Prof Oak is like a role model and it seemed he was a decent guy when he was younger from the celebii movie.

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • I'll agree with though. Do you think Ash fingered out Professor Oak was his friend in the movie? I'm pretty sure Oak knew but I'm not sure if Ash did though.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • Professor Oak. For the win.
    And on diamond and Pearl when they were in their little dream land, and Dawn's mom was there, and Oak was there for Ash. Just saying. XD

Back