• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Project Dragonite

Lord Caduceus

Phantom Thief of Hearts
    Years
    Hi, this is my first post here, so I apologize if I get any formatting wrong.

With so much time on my hands due to current events, I've decided to attempt to make an Essentials fangame, which is something I've dreamed about ever since I started playing Pokémon. I figured I'd post here since I'm a long-time lurker, and I've seen this community be really supportive when it comes to people wanting to make fangames.

Right now, I'm just calling the game "Project Dragonite" as a placeholder, and I have a few details decided.

Story: I'm definitely going to make this grittier, darker Pokémon game, since I've always personally felt dissatisfied with how light and campy Pokémon games are. In terms of the rest, I'm definitely going to have major boss trainers like Gym Leaders and E4 have more plot involvement, and I'm going to have it take place in an entirely new region, but beyond that, I don't have anything specific set in stone.

Pokémon: My plan is to include everything from Generation 1-8 in the final release, which may not be for years. I'm also hoping that each Legendary gets a little spotlight in the plotline at some point. I'm also going to including both existing and new Mega Evolutions, as well as regional variants. I will not be including Fakemon, since I personally dislike them.

Current Progress: Everything's just on the drawing board right now since I'm waiting to get RMXP 'till I get a new computer sometime next month, currently just working on the story, characters, and new Pokémon-related stuff. I'm open to anyone helping, but I'm not going to officially recruit just yet. I'm a complete novice to RMXP, having only used it once during a summer camp, so I'm definitely open to ideas and help. I also fancy myself somewhat of a writer, and I'm looking for people to help brainstorm story ideas. Hopefully, if the stars align, I'll be able to put together a dev team, since I know there's no way I'll be able to do this alone. Feel free to let me know your thoughts and opinions, and thanks for taking the 2-3 minutes out of your day to read this post!

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
    Years
    I think darker pokemon storylines have become cliché and don't justify the plot by themselves. I mean, it's not like we're contestant of any form of contest, but I think you should develop the storyline a bit more to make it appealing.
    When I read "Project Dragonite" and "Elite four involved" I think about something like "Lance had a problem because both Blue and Red beat it, so he decided to mutate his dragonite in some ways to make it more powerful"

Idk that sounds cliché as well, but your imagination is the limit

Lord Caduceus

Phantom Thief of Hearts
    Years
    Yeah, I'm trying to make a unique storyline without making it the whole cliché "edge-edge-edge-onscreen-death-edge" that's been around for a while in fangames. That said, it'll still probably be darker, but just more unique than everything else out there. (At least, I hope)

Lord Caduceus

Phantom Thief of Hearts
    Years
    Update: After some friends showed interest in the project, I decided to make a Discord server for it, which you can find here. Feel free to join and discuss what you want to see in the game, or just to get more frequent updates on the game's progress. If the link's not working, please message me so I can fix it.

Last edited:
    Years
    Although the dark genre isnt in my field, I'd recommend taking it slow and having an eye out for people who can do skilled mapmaking and programming.
    And welcome a few extra knots of writing from some added source when it gets tight or inspiration is dry. It could also make it harder for gamers to psycho-analyze the expectations ahead.

Take it slow.
    Pause when needed.

Set up mini-goals. Maybe see if other projects could do some exchanges of ability on occasion for dual benefits.

Or place your work in the makings of another project to see it all come to life within a shorter time-span.
    A dark story can work well on any themathic project.

Good wishes

Back