• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project New Kanto

Forever Forbidden

Takes the longest shortcut.
Years
  • Project New Kanto

Contents;
    Introduction
    Progress
    Maps
    Credits
    Help?

Introduction
    Project New Kanto, or PNK, is the complete and total remastering of the current Pokemon region of Kanto. Kanto is the first region to be explored by Ash in the anime, and the first place you go in the game, Pokemon Hall of Fame. The original maps from the original games were very small and petite, you could walk from one side of a city in just a few strides. The aim of PNK is to vastly expand the gameplay with large, realistic and geologically correct maps. PNK will then introduce Anime Exclusive maps, such as ones that May, from the anime, travel to for Pokemon contests.

I am working directly with InMooseWeTrust, who is giving me the geographical information i need. We plan on making the maps public once its released, but we may end up giving it to one game, should it get our interest.

Progress
    Progress is currently on hold.

Maps

Towns and Cities
    Spoiler:

Routes
    Spoiler:

Other Areas
    Spoiler:

Credits
    Kyledove - Tilesets
    rhevarhe_duh - Tilesets
    Speed - Tilesets
    Alex - Tilesets
    Wesker - Tilesets
    Pio - Tilesets
    Aten974 - Tilesets
    Newtiteuf - Tilesets
    Venom 12 - Tilesets
    Wesley FG - Tilesets
    Jonny Chleevas - Tilesets

Help?
    I need very little help on the project, however, i do need lots of tilesets and i could use a few extra helpers for things like caves.​
    [/COLOR]

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I did not know that this project would keep going even after the hof team disbanded.
    I fully support the project.

Whatever help you need, just ask.

Evilpkmn

Evilmad says Bonjour
    Years
  • I support this project !
    Pewter City is a little empty but I like it and Viridian City :)

Years
  • Looks really good.
    I once saw a project like this..and it didn't turn out so well.
    I wish you the best of luck.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • Last edited:

~PokeJosh~

Pimpatune
    Years
  • These are pretty good, makes me wish Lost Worlds was still going...

One thing though, I don't like the way the city edge tiles overlap in Viridian City, near the top left.

-PokeJosh

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • The maps look pretty and all but I'd kill myself if I'd had to walk\run all these big routes to get to the next town... Also, on a 240x160 screen, you would only see grass on the screen...

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Awesome project, I love how big the maps are.

It's a shame I wouldn't be able to use them (released or not). Keep up the good work. :)

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • These are pretty good, makes me wish Lost Worlds was still going...

One thing though, I don't like the way the city edge tiles overlap in Viridian City, near the top left.

-PokeJosh

One of the reasons that many large games (I took out the names to avoid any misunderstandings) collapsed is because they were too ambitious in what they were trying to accomplish. We're trying to avoid that as much as possible, so we're limiting ourselves only to working on maps in ONE region. This will still be a lot of work because of the sheer scope of what we're doing, but that's why we're not coming out with a game.

The maps aren't supposed to be perfect at this point. Jonny is an amazing mapper, but he has made some errors. After we're done mapping almost all of the overworld, we'll worry about mapping errors as we try to put the final product together.

The maps look pretty and all but I'd kill myself if I'd had to walk\run all these big routes to get to the next town... Also, on a 240x160 screen, you would only see grass on the screen...

You can always change the screen size. Wichu doesn't have to be the only one to do that.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

Ugh, I realize that you're trying to recreate Kanto.. But you could really use some more practice.
    You're maps are to open, and the spots that aren't open, are to cluttered. Try and balance that out.
    Pewter city is horrible... There is WAAAAYYYYY to much open space, and the mix match of city and small town homes doesn't look good. You should really try and not mix and match buildings. It end up looking bad. But yeah, you need to like, redo pewter completely.
    Oh, and if you're trying to recreate Kanto, why wouldn't you make roofs of homes in Pallet... Red? It's a very simple thing that would make it look a lot better. Put more effort into it is all I'm saying...

Well, good luck with this. I hope to see some better maps in the future =/

Years
  • The houses in Pallet Town are all butting up against water or trees. If you scooted them out a bit you'd be able to fill up some of the empty space and get rid of that awkwardness.

And they're all so... big. It's like you're trying to give yourselves more work than you have to. I applaud your effort though. Good luck with this project.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • You can always change the screen size. Wichu doesn't have to be the only one to do that.

You mean he right? I really don't thing he will go over the ds resolution as he would have to change some scripts, make new battle scenes and other menus graphics etc.

Forever Forbidden

Years
  • The houses in Pallet Town are all butting up against water or trees. If you scooted them out a bit you'd be able to fill up some of the empty space and get rid of that awkwardness.

And they're all so... big. It's like you're trying to give yourselves more work than you have to. I applaud your effort though. Good luck with this project.
    Thanks.

Might as well.
    I was helping Johnny before.
    >.> well, if you can, you can.

Ugh, I realize that you're trying to recreate Kanto.. But you could really use some more practice.
    You're maps are to open, and the spots that aren't open, are to cluttered. Try and balance that out.
    Pewter city is horrible... There is WAAAAYYYYY to much open space, and the mix match of city and small town homes doesn't look good. You should really try and not mix and match buildings. It end up looking bad. But yeah, you need to like, redo pewter completely.
    Oh, and if you're trying to recreate Kanto, why wouldn't you make roofs of homes in Pallet... Red? It's a very simple thing that would make it look a lot better. Put more effort into it is all I'm saying...

Well, good luck with this. I hope to see some better maps in the future =/
    Good points. I will change Pewter City for sure. The tiles aren't final, and once we have the shell of the maps, i will be making unique tiles for each city.

Awesome project, I love how big the maps are.

It's a shame I wouldn't be able to use them (released or not). Keep up the good work. :)
    And why not? You WILL use my maps, mortal! >.>

These are pretty good, makes me wish Lost Worlds was still going...

-PokeJosh
    I had made the map before Moose joined, so when i will be changing it at one point.

The maps look pretty and all but I'd kill myself if I'd had to walk\run all these big routes to get to the next town... Also, on a 240x160 screen, you would only see grass on the screen...
    The goal was to no over-kill it like i though CA did with his maps, but to give a sense of realism to the maps size. No town should ever be 'Oh, i can walk three steps and hey, i'm at the neighbors house, thats on the other side of town.'

Cool idea. I wish I had that tileset. -.-

anyway, isn't this supposed to be in the games showcase?:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126

Anyway, cool idea.
    I personally asked Neo-Dragon where to put the thread, and he said that i should put it here, and then he will see if it is to be moved.

Looks really good.
    I once saw a project like this..and it didn't turn out so well.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Thanks to ya.

I support this project !
    Pewter City is a little empty but I like it and Viridian City :)
    Thanks.

I did not know that this project would keep going even after the hof team disbanded.
    I fully support the project.

Whatever help you need, just ask.
    Thanks ye.

Years
  • I don't care what anyone says, I think the openness of Pewter suits it, as a desolate mountainous town. Plus the traveling the trainer would have to do would put more work into the game I think, along with all the little secret pathways you can find, I think these maps are amazing.

Although I do have one suggestion; the stairs in Viridian City that lead left shouldn't be that close to the stairs leading into the gatehouse. Other than that, great job! I can't wait to see Celadon and Cinnabar and Saffron!

-Krobelus

Forever Forbidden

Years
  • I don't care what anyone says, I think the openness of Pewter suits it, as a desolate mountainous town. Plus the traveling the trainer would have to do would put more work into the game I think, along with all the little secret pathways you can find, I think these maps are amazing.

Although I do have one suggestion; the stairs in Viridian City that lead left shouldn't be that close to the stairs leading into the gatehouse. Other than that, great job! I can't wait to see Celadon and Cinnabar and Saffron!

-Krobelus
    Thanks for the input >Morale +2<

Viridian will be completely redone once Moose has made the info for the city.

Back