• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Prototype Starters for an Australian Based Romhack

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 20, 2022
So I've never had any experience in drawing or in RomHacking. I've given myself a bunch of goals to work on over the last few months in lock down, one of them is to work on coding, I know that RomHacking isn't really coding, but it is helping me understand and internalise the logic behind coding and has really helped me with some basic coding stuff I have been learning.

I also wanted to learn how to draw, so creating some Fakemon for a new game would be a great way to combine some of these interests.

Here are the prototype models for the starters I am working on. They will definitely change over time, especially as my artwork improves, but I figure it is best to get some rough ideas onto "paper" to build the base for what I am trying to create and just revise, revise, revise until I get a more polished product.

I know at the moment they're pretty basic, but they will develop their secondary themes as they evolve.

A rough overview of them is:

- Echidna Grass Mon
Will be a Grass / Fighting mon, will end up with a build similar to Typhlosion, however will have long pikes down his back which he will be able to pluck to use as a spear / javelin type weapon. Them based on aboriginal warrior / hunter/

- Tasmanian Devil Fire Mon
Will be a Fire / Dark mon, will remain a quadriped. His them is based around the aboriginal concept of lighting controlled fires to prevent bushfires. Essentially they would burn large, circular controlled fires which would enable wildlife to escape, but ultimately lead to large areas of deforestation preventing future bushfires from having the fuel they need to get out of control. This mon will use fire spin and smoke screen type moves.

- Platypus Water Mon
Will end up a Water / Psychic mon, will end up with a Golduck type build, but more muscular - think shoalin monk. Will be an Avatar-esque "water bender".

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 28

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
They look nice! Very unique silhouettes when compared to each other, which I feel like is very important when designing starters.

Some advice I can give on the designs though is that you should try making their colors a little more distinct, and more evident of the types they represent. Right now, the fire and grass ones both have a main color of black, which I believe should be different as to better set them apart. Additionally, the fire starter could use some red or orange somewhere so it at least has a subtle hint that it is fire-type.

Other than that, these are really cute! I hope to see your romhack develop!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 20, 2022
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

The grass mon base is actually supposed to be more of a real that a black but I don't have much experience with colouring so they've all turned out a lot more washed out than I intended but will definitely try and make it a bit more obviously greenish in the next iteration.

Agree with the fire mon, I was playing around with some reds but I felt it looked a bit too much of a Litleo knock off, will keep experimenting. The second and third stages will likely have some flames running along its back which should also make it a bit more obvious, in my mind it's a little bit like Taz from Looney Tunes that it will run circles around its opponent leaving a trail of fire and smoke in. Fire spin type move.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I agree with Sunfished -- I'm getting more Poochyena vibes from the Fire starter than I am "fire type". I think you can honestly just add some flames to its feet and call it good.

I'm glad you went with a quadrupedal design though! Not enough of those nowadays. They're great looking starters none the less! I love the face of the duck. :)

Back