• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] [Q] FRLG - Where is the Oak Intro map/script stored? Gen 3 FireRed Rom Hack

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Sep 27, 2022
    Hello hack friends!

I'm quite new to hacking and loving the many, many helpful tutorials. I'm well on my way with a nifty hack concept for FRLG, but...
    I don't know how to find the "map" where Prof. Oak gives the game intro?? 😅

90% of my editing thus far is through AdvanceMap, and I've got a script editor connected (PKSV).
    No success with searching forums and even via Google, likely I need better search terms.
    Tried just manually browsing the list of maps but nothing stood out. Not skilled enough with "map connections" yet to backwards trace, if that's even a thing?

Can anyone here please help me out? 😊

Thanks!
    - Hyro aka Hyrulistic

SIlverstanfan04

A Pokenerd like no other
    Years
    • He/They
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Download hex maniac advance, its an (almost) all in 1 tool for binary hacking with a helpful UI to find specific things such as menu backgrounds. You can find the BG in graphics > newgame > background

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Sep 27, 2022
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out, but editing hex is definitely beyond my current skills 😅

Graphics isn't quite what I'm looking for, apologies if I asked this wrong...

If I'm mostly using AdvanceMap, is there a way to change Prof. Oak's intro dialogue? "Welcome to the world of Pokemon!" etc

Or if using Hex editor, any info on where the intro text is stored?

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Sep 27, 2022
    Good news actually - with some exploring (and the handy built-in search feature)...

I found what I was looking for, and it practically works as expected even after edits! 😅
    Now the fun begins of "edit and troubleshooting" ;)

Back