• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quantity of moves?

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    Okay, I want to know what you people think about the amount of moves we work with to this day in the franchise of Pokemon. Every generation, a handful of new moves are created and distributed over the old and new pokemon. I want to know if you think GameFreak should incorporate a lot more pokemon moves in the future gens, or less, or the same amount as they do every generation.

I really think that GameFreak needs to create a lot more pokemon moves, I want atleast 50 moves for every type if not more. I battle competitively, and I think the current amount of moves per type is rediculously small, it makes the every battle more predictable and repetitive. Here are the current standings, they might surprise you:

Fire: 19
    Water: 23
    Grass: 30
    Normal: 152
    Rock: 14
    Electric: 15
    Ground: 16
    Flying: 20
    Ice: 16
    Fighting: 33
    Psychic: 42
    Ghost: 15
    Dark: 25
    Poison: 17
    Bug: 18
    Dragon: 12
    Steel: 15

*Hidden Power Variations included in this move count*

Yes, you see right. 13 rock type moves! Spread out over 493 pokemon that have the potential to learn atleast one Rock type move (hypothetically)! Only 14,15,16,and 17 etc. for the other types, and take a look at the Normal type, 152 moves! I think they've spent enough on the Normal type. Its surprising to see such a little quantity of moves spread out over 493 different pokemon. This was hand-counted by me twice in Serebii's DPPt Attackdex. I just want atleast 50 different moves for each type. And only one type meets that demand right now!

Please, share your opinions.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I battle competitively, too. The amount of available moves are okay the way there are. More moves wouldn't hurt, though. :s But then again, having more moves doesn't mean all those moves will be useful, though. Take a look at Water Sport, no one uses it. But is it a Water type move? Yes.

The only reason that the Normal type has so many moves is because there are so many possibilities for Normal types and so many Pokemon that can learn Normal type moves. I mean, you don't need a special ability to lash out a Tackle. I mean, that's being pretty realistic right there. Sometimes, there aren't many possibilities for a Pokemon typing. The type Dragon doesn't have a diverse range of ideas. The word "Dragon" is a noun, a physical being - unlike the other types, where the majority of them is an element. It's going to be hard to make ideas for a move based off of a physical being. "Dragon" isn't an object you can throw, an element you can control, or a force that you have. That's the main reason why it has less moves than the others. I mean, you can't have as much as a "Dragon Beam" for an attack. I mean, what is it going to do, chuck out dragons from the user's mouth? I don't think so. It ties down to being a little realistic, and the number of possibilities you have for each type.

Now, I'm certainly not against the creation of more moves, though. I would love to see more moves; they only make the game much more interesting.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    You can add one more to each type considering Hidden Power variations.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    I battle competitively, too. The amount of available moves are okay the way there are. More moves wouldn't hurt, though. :s But then again, having more moves doesn't mean all those moves will be useful, though. Take a look at Water Sport, no one uses it. But is it a Water type move? Yes.

The only reason that the Normal type has so many moves is because there are so many possibilities for Normal types and so many Pokemon that can learn Normal type moves. I mean, you don't need a special ability to lash out a Tackle. I mean, that's being pretty realistic right there. Sometimes, there aren't many possibilities for a Pokemon typing. The type Dragon doesn't have a diverse range of ideas. The word "Dragon" is a noun, a physical being - unlike the other types, where the majority of them is an element. It's going to be hard to make ideas for a move based off of a physical being. "Dragon" isn't an object you can throw, an element you can control, or a force that you have. That's the main reason why it has less moves than the others. I mean, you can't have as much as a "Dragon Beam" for an attack. I mean, what is it going to do, chuck out dragons from the user's mouth? I don't think so. It ties down to being a little realistic, and the number of possibilities you have for each type.

Now, I'm certainly not against the creation of more moves, though. I would love to see more moves; they only make the game much more interesting.

No, no, no. You are thinking this through too literally. Its not about the name of the move! I can think of atleast a hundred dragon type moves that have decent names and effects. GameFreak Inc. is amazing! They have creative minds working there everyday, I'm sure they can deal with it. More moves, plain and simple.

You can add one more to each type considering Hidden Power variations.

Oh, good point, I'll do that now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    You might think you're able to think of one-hundred dragon moves, but ask yourself; Would they be useful? Would they drastically change the meta-game?

The thing is, if the move isn't useful, then there's no love lost in it being absent from the game. But if it IS useful, presumably, its not in there for a reason. A lot of moves would be obscenely "useful" if they were in the game, but they might radically unbalance gameplay.

Besides, Pokémon generally boils down to a game of staples and standards. Rarely do players stretch the boundaries of the "standard" movesets, and if they do its usually to their own team's detriment. Unless the moves you think should be added would improve the metagame (they probably wouldn't), I don't think its a great idea. However, I'm all for improving under-used pokémon's movesets.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    No, no, no. You are thinking this through too literally. Its not about the name of the move! I can think of atleast a hundred dragon type moves that have decent names and effects. GameFreak Inc. is amazing! They have creative minds working there everyday, I'm sure they can deal with it. More moves, plain and simple.
    Did I ever say it was about the name of a move? I was making a comparison about how an uncommon attack type compares to a common attack type, such as Dragon vs. Ice. Read it carefully. =/

And as far as I can see, GameFreak & Co.'s idea tank is running dry. Diamond and Pearl's ideas for some Pokemon are perfect examples of why.

To add on, they're gradually adding to the quantity of moves all for realism. It's not like you discover a region, and you discover 100 more dragon type moves all of a sudden.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    Did I ever say it was about the name of a move? I was making a comparison about how an uncommon attack type compares to a common attack type, such as Dragon vs. Ice. Read it carefully. =/

And as far as I can see, GameFreak & Co.'s idea tank is running dry. Diamond and Pearl's ideas for some Pokemon are perfect examples of why.

To add on, they're gradually adding to the quantity of moves all for realism. It's not like you discover a region, and you discover 100 more dragon type moves all of a sudden.

Now, you are taking my post the wrong way at an extreme. I did not say that GameFreak needed to create 100 dragon type moves off the spot! Not even in all of the pokemon franchise's history! No I simply used it as an expression to show how much creativity can be stretched out if you focus. All I ask is to have 50 moves for each type. Give or take a few.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    You should still list 152 Normal-type moves; there is no HP Normal.
    I don't really see any problem; after the special/physical split, the battle field got really diverse. I'm sure in generation V it will be as interesting as in the anime.

DeathlyHallows

I NEED A BATTLE!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2008
    I think the number of moves is fine.
    I battle competitively too,
    but the number of normal type moves is too much for a type that is scarcely used, I mean most non-normal pokemon don't use normal type moves as they're not supereffective against any type,
    and about the predictibality of the moveset, it depends on the pokemon, if the pokemon has very good sp.att & att, and has a wide movepool in both, then it's very unpredictable like Lucario.
    That's what I think

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    but the number of normal type moves is too much for a type that is scarcely used, I mean most non-normal pokemon don't use normal type moves as they're not supereffective against any type,
    and about the predictibality of the moveset, it depends on the pokemon, if the pokemon has very good sp.att & att, and has a wide movepool in both, then it's very unpredictable like Lucario.
    That's what I think

You're ignoring that normal is also the classification for moves like swords dance, and any battler worth their salt isn't going to not put SD on a pokémon because its not "super-effective".

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    That's what I think

That's what I mean. Lucario and a few others are unpredictable, that doesn't make the whole game and every wifi battle interesting and a surprise.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    I want moves to be added at a faster rate though, because so far, we have had 4 generations of pokemon, and we still have these small amounts of moves.

DJ Lorik

Honey, I just forgot to duck.
    Years
    Yea, that is true. They haven't exactly bothered trying to add more moves to each Pokemon. On average a Pokemon had/still has around 4-5 moves. It would make a lot more sense if they do add more movies, but then again as we've seen in the past 10+ years it's very unlikely to happen.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Yea, that is true. They haven't exactly bothered trying to add more moves to each Pokemon. On average a Pokemon had/still has around 4-5 moves. It would make a lot more sense if they do add more movies, but then again as we've seen in the past 10+ years it's very unlikely to happen.
    I would love to have more moves! You are right, I never actually seen nintendo put more moves dramaticly.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years

Thank you for agreeing and realizing the truth.

Is this total moves or attack-based moves? I'd like to see the amount of attack-based moves if this list isn't that.

Its the TOTAL number of moves. If it was an attack based moves list it would be much, much smaller.

Back