• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question on free space

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi all!

So I'm making a very script heavy hack, and I have a question regarding free space.

If I make a big script into a dynamic offset, but later on decide to make a change to the script (therefore needing a new dynamic offset), will I risk running out of rom space if I put the entire script into a new dynamic offset? (therefore wasting the old one)

Cheers

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Third Gen Pokemon games have a lot more free space than you probably think. Small scripts can take up maybe a dozen bytes while huge scripts (1000+ lines) will probably be in the area of 2000 - 4000 bytes. That might seems like a big number, but is still dwarfed when compared to the size of free space avaliable. You would have to insert a ton of scripts to even make a dent in the amount of free space available to you and that's not even bringing up the possibilities of an expanded ROM.

If you're still concerned about limited free space then XSE has a nifty preprocessing directive that should be exactly what you're looking for. The #removeall command fills the script starting at a chosen pointer with free space. Just include it at the beginning of a script like you would with the #dynamic command.

If you want more information about XSE's directives just open 'Help > Guide > Practical Classroom > Preprocessing Directives".

Years
    • Seen today
    That's very reassuring thank you :)

I'll be fine then. I'm not going around wasting space left right and centre as I backup before doing an advanced script, keep editing until it's right, then apply the correct script to the backup so it's done in one go. It'll literally just be "Oh I can add a feature there".

Thanks man.

Back