• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Question? Remakes or Orginal Games

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2011
    now i've played the orginal versions of Red,Blue and Gold and Silver (a LONG time ago) but i was wondering since i restarted the anime (but recently skipped the original episodes (As i got tired of seeing filler episodes) and the Orange Island (Since those from what i heard where all filler anyway) should i play the original games or just the remakes or both?(the reason i play the games in the coruse of the show is because it helps me decide which Pokemon i like)

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • Well, the reason they make remakes is to enhance the old experience, and FR/LG/HG/SS were all very enjoyable. If I were you I'd play a new one, probably HG/SS - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Out of all people. I think HG/SS has been played the most times so Guarenteed you enjoy playing one of those. ;)

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2011
    Skip LG and FR... HG and SS are good though.
    To be honest LeefGreen was a fail.. Just wasnt the same

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • The only thing FR/LG really had to offer over R/B/Y was general tidyness (fewer glitches, slightly rethrought dialouge and better graphics/sound) and generation 3 game mechanics. They didn't really build on the originals much.

However, HG/SS heightened the experience brilliantly, I've played through G/S/C more than any other generation and enjoyed HG/SS for reasons of nostalgia and all the new stuff they put in there. I especially enjoyed the bit in the game freak room in Cleadon City where a guy talks about remaking a game but not just doing the same thing, but making some new.

Censen.Morris

Sceptile is my Homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2011
    The Remakes. In my opinion the ability to get new pokemon from later versions is one of the best 'ups'. Can you use a metagross in Red version? No. But in FIREred...

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    For Red and Green, both originals and remakes.

For Gold and Silver, I'd stick with the remakes. The original just isn't good at all to be honest with you guys. The biggest flaw has to be Kanto. Kanto got nerfed so that you are unable to explore Seafoam Island, and Cerulean Cave, and Viridian forest has been nerfed to being a part of Route 2 other than its own area, which turns me off disappointingly. The remake gave it a huge improvement (especially Kanto being what it was meant to be unlike the original) with the addition to the new feature such as Pokeathlon, and the Safari (The original being the only games prior to Gen V to not have Safari). One thing that sucks about the Remake is that the phone feature from the PokeGear, especially when it comes to Trainer Rematches is still kept which, *frustrated sigh* you're going to train at Elite Four a lot to level grind (which is faster to get to level 100 unlike the original, since after the first time, you get to fight those that are level 60+, and good if you farmed Lucky Eggs at Route 13) and money farm, and you get annoying calls from trainers such as Youngster Joey who bribes about his "Rattata." So yeah, I'd stick with Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Play the originals and then play the remakes. Get a taste of history first then come to the remakes to see how the times have changed. It'll blow ya mind.

Back