• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Question

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2007
    ok, whats up, my names lance and ive been playing these kind of games for a long time, but i have a few questions to ask.

firstly, is it better to have balanced levelled pokemon, or just use one throughout the entire game and train the others later with an xp share? i dont mean to sound cynical or anything, but this has worked for me in past games, and it seems to be superior to balancing your pokemon's levels in many ways. it does however, make the game absurdly easy and may take the fun out of it.

the main pro of this strategy is that you wont have to put lame HM moves like cut on your main pokemon, you can just use filler pokemon for it so you will have the HM's wherever you go. it can be a pain to constantly withdraw and deposit pokemon so you can use HM's.

anyway, ive started again and im planning to just train one pokemon. should i keep only using one or start balancing some levels around?

DarkDragonite12

Inner Focus Boi!!!
    Years
  • It depends. I wouldn't suggest to train a Pokemon and simply neglect everyone else, because there is always a chance of it fainting. But if you want to go that way, make sure you have a "back-up".

In Diamond, I went through the whole game with Infernape and a "back-up" Luxray that worked well. :)

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • I used the obvious Empoleon, Luxray, Staraptor combo through most of the game, then swept the Elite Four with just Palkia and Empoleon. *shrug* Whatever works. The storyline was really just a formality so I could start breeding a competition team.

ihaveaquestion

idonthaveaquestion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    u breed... thats disgusting... but yea... thats kinda wat i did... i purposefully just got a female torterra... beat elite 4.. bread it with breloom to get seed bomb... got a tutwig or w/e it is... bread it with a ditto (adamant nature holding everstone) and got myself a perfect pokemon that learned seed bomb

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • ok, whats up, my names lance and ive been playing these kind of games for a long time, but i have a few questions to ask.

firstly, is it better to have balanced levelled pokemon, or just use one throughout the entire game and train the others later with an xp share? i dont mean to sound cynical or anything, but this has worked for me in past games, and it seems to be superior to balancing your pokemon's levels in many ways. it does however, make the game absurdly easy and may take the fun out of it.

the main pro of this strategy is that you wont have to put lame HM moves like cut on your main pokemon, you can just use filler pokemon for it so you will have the HM's wherever you go. it can be a pain to constantly withdraw and deposit pokemon so you can use HM's.

anyway, ive started again and im planning to just train one pokemon. should i keep only using one or start balancing some levels around?

I normally have very few Pokes on my team... I usually only get a 6th right before the final gym. But it's stupid to use just ONE Pokemon throughout the entire game, because if you come across an extreme weakness, you may be SOL and JWF.

I normally do a bit of research... find out what Pokes you want, and where they are located. Don't fill your team until you get there, and then get to the next one, and so on. Seems to work for me. So you kind of utilize the trick of having a few high level Pokemon at first, but it balances out later in the game, leaving room for a bit of a challenge.

Oh, and even with a full team you don't have to use HM moves on them. Just use random Pokes, and pull them out of the PC when you need to use it. I call 'em HM-whores.

Zyph

Game developer. Hax0rz!
    Years
  • I've always used just one Pokemon since I played Red, but when I got Pearl, I decided since there is this whole online battle thing, I was going to train my team equally. So I did. And it's a REALLY good idea, epecially when you get to the Battle Tower. If you want your team to be good, actively select the members of it, and replace them with others if necessary (I just replaced my Lucario with a Gallade, because with Lucario on my team, I had two Steel types [had an Empoleon]). You cant just EXP share a pokemon and expect it to be really good. EVs play a huge part in the growth of your team. I trained my Gallade on Machokes while holding a Macho Brace. He's an absolute MONSTER now, and there is no way he would have been this powerfull had just EXP shared him.

Best of luck to you.

ihaveaquestion

idonthaveaquestion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    um... sry 2 break it 2 u... but...... w/ exp. share... you get the regular ev points....

-representin

ihaveaquestion

idonthaveaquestion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    i don't think that it really matters...cause once they get good enough w/ exp share... then u can just give them the macho brace n ev train.... its all cool..

-if u represent... don't copy and paste this...

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • I love how you're willing to settle for mediocrity. Makes me all the more confident that I could beat you down effortlessly If I ever got to battle you. :P

Back