• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    With regards to the Honey Trees in Diamond/Pearl (I'm playing Pearl if that makes any difference), are there any trees that are better than others in throwing up Munchlax ? Or is it just a 'luck of the draw' kind of thing ?
    Also, is there any minimum or maximum limit of Honeys to use on said tree ?

Spanking you :)

According to Bulbapedia, of the 21 trees across Sinnoh, 4 of them have a chance of attracting Munchlax. Which 4 they are is pretty much randomly decided and is different for everyone. Each of those 4 trees also only has a 1% chance of attracting Munchlax.

Basically you just need lots of luck. Or get a Snorlax through Pal Park and breed your own Munchlax ;)

Good luck!

Oh and to answer your other question: I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but there is no limit to how many times you can use Honey on a tree. You can only do it one at a time though, and it takes a minimum of 6 hours for a Pokémon to appear on a tree after you've slathered Honey (and it disappears after 24 hours). Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I've got an odd question in regards to breeding...something trivial that I never thought of before. :P

If I put a male Staravia (that learned Double Team as a Starly by levelling up) in the daycare with a female Golbat, will the offspring Zubat know Double Team (since it's a compatible TM) or will it not be passed on since Staravia learned it through level?

Jamie88

4th Generation Newb :)
    Years
    @ FalconsDrummer - Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah so it's pretty much all down to luck at the end of the day then...I feared that :( Time for some Honey Tree grinding it seems..!
    Also, to stand a chance of catching Heracross, am I right in saying I have to hunt for him at night on the Honey Trees ?

EDIT - One other thing, how do I go about deciding which pokemon should have which nature ?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Hey
    when I ev train I can't get my pokemon stats over 300 and when I see someone elses evd pokemon they have at least 2 stats over 300 can someone tell me why that is

Last edited:

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
    Years
    yer i have the same problem too its probaly because you are not killing enough wild pokemon and always start at a low level some pokemon can be at like lv 90's and then start thier ev traing and be maxed out, but to be honest im not to sure

and do you you use things like power items make sure the ones your ev training have pokerus and you battle only the pokemon that give out the ev's your needing

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    yer i have the same problem too its probaly because you are not killing enough wild pokemon and always start at a low level some pokemon can be at like lv 90's and then start thier ev traing and be maxed out, but to be honest im not to sure

and do you you use things like power items make sure the ones your ev training have pokerus and you battle only the pokemon that give out the ev's your needing

do you mean like calcium and berries

FalconsDrummer

Years
    @ FalconsDrummer - Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah so it's pretty much all down to luck at the end of the day then...I feared that :( Time for some Honey Tree grinding it seems..!
    Also, to stand a chance of catching Heracross, am I right in saying I have to hunt for him at night on the Honey Trees ?

EDIT - One other thing, how do I go about deciding which pokemon should have which nature ?

Nah, time of day doesn't matter with Honey Trees. The Pokémon that will appear is determined by the inner workings of the game the moment you slather Honey. As for natures, this page on Bulbapedia nicely explains how natures work and, specifically, which natures do what.

I've got an odd question in regards to breeding...something trivial that I never thought of before. :P

If I put a male Staravia (that learned Double Team as a Starly by levelling up) in the daycare with a female Golbat, will the offspring Zubat know Double Team (since it's a compatible TM) or will it not be passed on since Staravia learned it through level?

Hmm . . . you know, I'm not exactly sure, but I think with the way the programming works the game probably doesn't care how Double Team was learned by Staravia, to use your example, especially since Staravia can also learn it from a TM.

Last edited:

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    do you mean like calcium and berries

No he means to power items like the power band, power lens, power anklet, power weight, and so on that ad 4 to the evs like this:

If you kill a Bidoof with a pokemon that holds the power weight instead of 1 hp ev you would get 1+4 = 5, and with pokerus that would be 1+4 x 2= 10 hp evs/bidoof

Jamie88

Years
    Nah, time of day doesn't matter with Honey Trees. The Pokémon that will appear is determined by the inner workings of the game the moment you slather Honey. As for natures, this page on Bulbapedia nicely explains how natures work and, specifically, which natures do what.

Oki doak, thanks for the help and the Nature link, that will come in very handy! :)

Years
    Berries

Hi can someone explain to me how I make more berries, I thought I would plant it, but then I only get one berry back-so its like bury one get one!!! Doesnt work what Im doing!
    Thanks

Jamie88

Years
    Here's one for the breeders or those in the know. When breeding two pokemon to get an egg, for example, I want to add a Sneasel to my team, and instead of catching them wild at lvl 29+ and traning from there I'd like to catch two and breed for a lvl 1 Sneasel.. are there any things I should look out for so I can gaurantee success ? Natures, levels etc ? Obviously the sex of the two Sneasels have to be male and female but are there any other deciding factors ?

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    Here's one for the breeders or those in the know. When breeding two pokemon to get an egg, for example, I want to add a Sneasel to my team, and instead of catching them wild at lvl 29+ and traning from there I'd like to catch two and breed for a lvl 1 Sneasel.. are there any things I should look out for so I can gaurantee success ? Natures, levels etc ? Obviously the sex of the two Sneasels have to be male and female but are there any other deciding factors ?

Give an Everstone to a Ditto with the nature you want (you want Jolly) and breed any gender Sneasel with that Ditto. You don't have to breed two of the same Pokemon together to get the baby you want. It will always be the lowest evolution of the female as long as the two Pokemon are in the same egg groups.

In HGSS you can make sure you pass the IVs you want to your Pokemon with the Power Items (For example, if the parent Sneasel had 31 IVs in Speed, then give it the Power Anklet and the baby Sneasel will have 31 Speed IVs), so that's something to keep in mind, if you care about IVs.

I have a question, although it might seem silly. Does Inner Focus prevent damage from Confusion? My Crobat has Inner Focus, and on the AbilityDex on Serebii it says nothing about protection from confusion, but Crobat has never taken damage from confusion and it always seems to recover quickly.

Years
    Hi can someone explain to me how I make more berries, I thought I would plant it, but then I only get one berry back-so its like bury one get one!!! Doesnt work what Im doing!
    Thanks

It may be the berry you're planting. Which one is it? Also, using the Sprayduck may help get you more berries.
    I have a question, although it might seem silly. Does Inner Focus prevent damage from Confusion? My Crobat has Inner Focus, and on the AbilityDex on Serebii it says nothing about protection from confusion, but Crobat has never taken damage from confusion and it always seems to recover quickly.

You got lucky. That's pretty much all it is. Ability has nothing to do with it.

Jamie88

Years
    Give an Everstone to a Ditto with the nature you want (you want Jolly) and breed any gender Sneasel with that Ditto. You don't have to breed two of the same Pokemon together to get the baby you want. It will always be the lowest evolution of the female as long as the two Pokemon are in the same egg groups.

In HGSS you can make sure you pass the IVs you want to your Pokemon with the Power Items (For example, if the parent Sneasel had 31 IVs in Speed, then give it the Power Anklet and the baby Sneasel will have 31 Speed IVs), so that's something to keep in mind, if you care about IVs.

Hi Yamikarasu, I suppose I should have mentioned, but I only have 1 DS and a real old gameboy, plus I don't have trade leads or anything...or is there a relatively easy way of getting a Ditto in-game in D/P ?

FalconsDrummer

Years
    Hi Yamikarasu, I suppose I should have mentioned, but I only have 1 DS and a real old gameboy, plus I don't have trade leads or anything...or is there a relatively easy way of getting a Ditto in-game in D/P ?

The only place Ditto can be found in D/P is on Route 218. You have to use the PokéRadar, and even then they are very rare. Good luck though.

FalconsDrummer

Years
    I have a question regarding power items. When a Pokémon is holding one of these, it still has to fight a Pokémon that gives the correct kind of EVs to have an effect, right? For example, if a Pokémon holding a power weight fights a Magikarp, it will still get 1 Speed EV, not 4 Attack EVs, correct?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I think I'm having a(nother) stupid moment...
    but, according to Bulbapedia, legendary Pokemon reappear where they're usually found a week after originally fainting them in battle, but they don't reappear if you capture them. A few weeks ago I'm pretty sure I *fled* from Azelf, saw it go back into its cavern, and now it's not there. How do I get it to come back? >_>
    A few sources have said that I need to re defeat the Elite Four for them to reappear, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here.

RyannJ

Training in Pearl! FC in Sig.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2010
    Where can I train?

Where do I train lvl 55/56 Empoleon?!
    Staravia lvl 42.
    my gawd, i got to the elite 4, and i'm getting cleaned on the 2nd elite.
    PLEASE HALP!

Years
    Question reguarding SID's; To find my own, I need to have caught my own shiny pokemon and get it's IV's right? Can I use the event Pichachu to find my SID? And if not, is there any other way to find it? :L

Thanks in advance

Jamie88

Years
    I would say, grind it out on Victory road and also make good use of the Vs Seeker to re-batlle all the trainers etc in the game.
    Also, is it just those two pokemon in your team ?

Back