• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Quick question

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    Alright, I am using a Charizard to EV train my Growlithe. I have a macho brace attached to Charizard and a macho brace attached to Growlithe. Just to make sure, how many EVs do I get normally and after every level?

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    You mean to say you're sending Growlithe out first, then switching to your Charizard? If that's what you meant, then both will get double the EVs they should get.

Although your wording has me a bit confused, leading me to think that maybe you're a bit confused...?

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    Oh, ok, then Growlithe gets the normal, and only Charizard benefits from the doubling effect of Macho Brace.

Edit: Basically, if you want to accelerate the rate your Growlithe gets EVs, you'll need to give it the Macho Brace and do the switching-out method, as Pokémon using Exp. Share don't feel the effects of the hold item the actual fighting Pokémon is using (meaning other EV items and Lucky Egg don't work in conjuction with Exp. Share either).

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    Alright, so if I do the switch method, how many EVs do I get since I have pokerus and macho brace if I attack, lets say a Machoke which gives off 2 attack evs.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    Four times as much, as long as Growlithe has/has had Pokérus and is holding Macho Brace.

Edit: Oh, you put up an example. Against Machoke, that would be 8 Attack EVs total (2 EVs * 2 from Macho Brace * 2 from Pokérus).

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    You mean the switch-out? No, every Pokémon that is sent out against a Pokémon will get the EVs. Whether they get more than the normal amount, though, depends on whether they are holding a special item or not.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    Alright, so lets go back to that situation again. If I switch out my Growlithe holding the macho brace and kill the opponent with Charizard, Growlithe still gets the full 8 evs?

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    Not if you want to EV-train your Growlithe fast, no. Exp. Share is only useful for keeping them out of battle, but since you want to get as many EV points as you can, doing a switch-out is much more beneficial.

Edit in response to wolfie1177 below:

Er, wow, thanks, I guess lol.

Last edited:

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    pkmn trainer alex, you are a much greater pokemon alex than i...

:bows:

Back