• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
  • I would but I modified all the trades and can't remember which one was which again :/
    So...? If you get all the old trades' locations, then the new ones should be in the same places. You just need to do a tad more work~
    Unless if I'm totally misunderstanding how this works?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2016
    Hey There I am a newbie...Iam hacking Pokemon fire red and this is my first hack...can anyone tell me how can start the game from a different town??I mean I wanna start the game from a different place not from pallet town...If anyone can help me I'd be very happy ^_^

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2018
    hey guys I was
    hoping someone could solve the ouzzle in the beginning for Pokemon light platinum ds it is impossible I just cant do it help me

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Miksy has very graciously injected some sprites into a rom file for me to copy the hex values across. However, I'm having a little bit of trouble finding the offsets for sprites I need to replace. He's away for the weekend so asking him may not be the easiest/quickest.

Does anyone know where the start and finish offsets for:

Executive Male
    Executive Female
    Mewtwo Front
    Mewtwo Back

The number of bytes for the sprite data he has given be seems to differ with each one, so I can't calculate the precise points.

I'm working with Crystal, but if you now the offsets for GS then that's fine. I can use that info to locate the data in crystal.

Thanks!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Is adding abilities basically trying to find a place to branch off of "ability_something" (as defined in knizz's IDB) to add in a reference to the ability? If this is so, why don't we just repoint the sub-routine ability_something and make our own custom one that just checks for each ability and then goes to the respective routine? Or would this be CPU intensive and all that...?
    Rather, am I totally misunderstanding what really goes on in battles...?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see now. Are abilities just references to what may happen in the battle engine, then? Like, Pressure is located in the subroutine "atk03_ppreduce", and there are only a few abilities actually located in "ability_something"...
    Am I getting closer?

EDIT2: To give an example, the ability Super Luck would best be placed somewhere inside "atk04_criticalc" because it is a modification of how the game calculates critical hits, yes?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Hey there!

I'm trying to make a simple ROM Hack of Pokemon Heart Gold that replaces a few pokemon species. So far, I've tried using PPRE. A problem I've run into, though, is that even though I can change a pokemon species's stats, attacks, evolution, ect, it doesn't seem to be letting me change the name or pokedex information. It has boxes to type that stuff in, but it doesn't actually save the changes. Is there a way to fix this?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Hey there!

I'm trying to make a simple ROM Hack of Pokemon Heart Gold that replaces a few pokemon species. So far, I've tried using PPRE. A problem I've run into, though, is that even though I can change a pokemon species's stats, attacks, evolution, ect, it doesn't seem to be letting me change the name or pokedex information. It has boxes to type that stuff in, but it doesn't actually save the changes. Is there a way to fix this?
    all numbers refer to ppre's text editor <3
    not that it matters, but it might later: ability names are 720 and 721, with 722 being the descriptions. 735 is type names. 750 and 751 are move names, 749 being descriptions.
    now here for what you asked for:
    pokemon names at 237
    802 is like everything pokedex options, 803, 804, and 805 are pokemon pokedex descriptions (i think hg uses 803, ss uses 804, and idek about 805, maybe a european? lol), 806-810 are alternate languages. 812 and 813 are the weights, 814 and 815 are the heights, 816 is the "pokemon category" thing (like bulbasaur is a seed pokemon). 817 is pokedex pokemon names (separate from pokemon names used elsewhere), 818-822 are alternate language pokemon dex names. 823 is another english "pokemon category" thing? dunno which of the two is used, sorry </3 (but you can easily check!) 824-828 are "pokemon category" lists in other languages~

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks!

One more question: Using PPRE 2, how do you create a ROM or a patch? I'm hitting the "export ROM as" button, but nothing happens...

Thanks!

One more question: Using PPRE 2, how do you create a ROM or a patch? I'm hitting the "export ROM as" button, but nothing happens...

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I'm having trouble getting wild pokemon to appear in an underground area I made in firered. I have it set to "underground" in the header. I've noticed that the tilesets of caves have a lot of blocks with the behavior byte of 08. Is that what allows pokemon to spawn without tall grass tiles? I'm not using a cave tileset; I'm using tileset 63 instead. If I create some tiles in the block editor with the behavior byte of 08, will pokemon appear? Or is something else the issue?

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I'm having trouble getting wild pokemon to appear in an underground area I made in firered. I have it set to "underground" in the header. I've noticed that the tilesets of caves have a lot of blocks with the behavior byte of 08. Is that what allows pokemon to spawn without tall grass tiles? I'm not using a cave tileset; I'm using tileset 63 instead. If I create some tiles in the block editor with the behavior byte of 08, will pokemon appear? Or is something else the issue?

The byte for getting wild Pokemon to appear is actually 01 in the Background Byte section for all grass tiles. Cave tiles count as grass tiles even though they obviously aren't grass. For water tiles, put 04 in the right box in the Behavior Byte section.

Then just set the Pokemon you want under Grass in the Wild Pokemon tab in AdvanceMap and you're good to go.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Years
  • Hey There I am a newbie...Iam hacking Pokemon fire red and this is my first hack...can anyone tell me how can start the game from a different town??I mean I wanna start the game from a different place not from pallet town...If anyone can help me I'd be very happy ^_^

One way you could do is move the map 4.1 to another map bank, and it would be like starting in another town because 4.1 is the map in Pallet Town you start a new game on (it's the player's room in vanilla FireRed).

Another way would be to change the starting map with Start Map Chooser Advance by HackMew. The download link should still be in this post.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Ok, so I decided to instead try modding Pokemon FireRed, since that's something I have real experience with. Very quick question: if I make it so gen II or III pokemon is a starter pokemon instead of a gen I, will that cause any game glitches?

Years
  • Alright I'm trying to do a little translation. I was wondering if there is a way to translate the Menu to English from Spanish. Like for Pokémon, Bag and such. Also a way to translate the Spanish replacement "...wants to battle" when fighting trainers back to "wants to battle."

Years
  • The byte for getting wild Pokemon to appear is actually 01 in the Background Byte section for all grass tiles. Cave tiles count as grass tiles even though they obviously aren't grass. For water tiles, put 04 in the right box in the Behavior Byte section.

Then just set the Pokemon you want under Grass in the Wild Pokemon tab in AdvanceMap and you're good to go.

I see now. Thanks!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Ok, so I decided to instead try modding Pokemon FireRed, since that's something I have real experience with. Very quick question: if I make it so gen II or III pokemon is a starter pokemon instead of a gen I, will that cause any game glitches?

Likely some PokéDex problems (like Pokémon not evolving, but this is fixable). None will be glitches, simply just things that the game prevents from happening. Porygon won't evolve into Porygon2, for example...

AkameTheBulbasaur

Years
  • Alright I'm trying to do a little translation. I was wondering if there is a way to translate the Menu to English from Spanish. Like for Pokémon, Bag and such. Also a way to translate the Spanish replacement "...wants to battle" when fighting trainers back to "wants to battle."

All you'd need to do, most likely, is use a program like AdvanceText to search for the strings in Spanish and then replace them with their English equivalents. Of course if the string in English is longer you will have to repoint.

Sometimes AdvanceText won't be able to find a pointer, so you will have to work within the character limit. This is mostly for stuff like in battle strings like for moves and items etc.

If you're using a Spanish ROM then the offsets might be different, but the search function in AdvanceText should still work.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Years
  • In FireRed, where is the palette offset for the player character for selecting boy or girl? Both of them. Is there a command in XSE to do a random number? Where is the script to start the Raikou/Entei/Suicune roaming event? And is there a way to create one's own roaming Pokemon event?

1. There are two palettes for each of the player character sprites (the big ones)

Hero Palette 1: 0046161C
    Hero Palette 2: 004615FC

Heroine Palette 1: 00460ED0
    Heroine Palette 2: 00460EF0

2. The XSE question was already answered by someone else.

3. The roaming legendary dogs are triggered by special 0x129. There's a post by DoesntKnowHowToPlay describing the roaming events in the game here.

4. One way you can make new roaming events is with JPAN's Hacked Engine. There might be a better way but that's one way that I know. There's a guide on how to use the specials here.
    The roaming Pokemon specials specifically are under the Wild Battle Pokemon section.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Likely some PokéDex problems (like Pokémon not evolving, but this is fixable). None will be glitches, simply just things that the game prevents from happening. Porygon won't evolve into Porygon2, for example...

Oh, ok. How do you fix that problem? Is there a way to make it so you start with a national dex, for example?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back