• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen quicker way to get yur dragonair to evolve into a dragonite

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    but i still prefer shed skin to inner focus
    anyway the best moveset for dragonite is
    Outrage
    Wingattack
    dragon rage
    hyperbeam
    the 1st 3 has stab move and the last one is a final resort

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    While you prefer Shed Skin to Inner Focus, Dragonite ONLY has Inner Focus as a trait.

Not to be rude, but your moveset is not the best for Dragonite. Outrage is a horrible Dragon move. It locks in for 2-3 turns, preventing you from being able to do anything else, and then confuses your Poke at the end. A complete waste. Dragon Claw is a much better option, but neither are good for Dragonite. Dragonite's strength, as I said before, is its much higher base Atk (134, compared to 100 base SAtk). Wing Attack does give STAB, but Aerial Ace is much better as it throws accuracy out the window, which comes in handy against the pathetic AI that is in love with the crappy accuracy-dropping moves like Double Team and such. Two turn moves like Hyper Beam are also wasted here. Dragonite can do more damage attacking twice in two turns with Aerial Ace than it can attacking only once in two turns with Hyper Beam. Plus Aerial Ace gets Super Effective damage while Hyper Beam doesn't. Lastly, having two Dragon-type attacks on the same Poke only limits the effectiveness of it. Using better moves (i.e. Earthquake, Rock Slide, Ice Beam) allows Dragonite a better chance to deal more damage.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    Note: The Dragon Dancing Dragonite mentioned doesn't get STAB on Earthquake. It was just poorly worded. If one wants to use it as such, Salamence is far better, with slightly higher attack stats and intimidate. Dragonite should take advantage of its ability to use Focus Punch and the Ice Beam/Thunderbolt combination.

Second Note: Dragon Rage does not receive STAB. It does a set 40 damage, making it *quite* inferior to the more powerful Seismic Toss, which does a set 100 damage (or 2.5x more damage than Dragon Rage) if the user is level 100.

Third Note: The moveset above this post is terrible. It doesn't bring out Dragonite's strengths at all and limits it by using Outrage. Outrage should *only* be used in D/P, where its greater power and use of the attack stat means that it is much more useful and dangerous.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Note: The Dragon Dancing Dragonite mentioned doesn't get STAB on Earthquake. It was just poorly worded. If one wants to use it as such, Salamence is far better, with slightly higher attack stats and intimidate. Dragonite should take advantage of its ability to use Focus Punch and the Ice Beam/Thunderbolt combination.
    Meh. DDnite is superior to the SubPunch variety. You shouldn't use it the same way as DDmence, or yes Salamence is a better option. It can survive a non-STAB Ice Beam though, something Salamence cannot. I prefer Thunder over Thunderbolt, but since this is obviously in-game, Thunderbolt can be used against the non-EV'd, random natured Pokes you will run across there.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    but outrage isn't horrible, it is the most powerful 3rd gen dragon move next to dragon claw, aerial ace is pretty good stragety but wing attack is more likely to be a KO move (not to be confused w/ one hit ko moves) and further more as i said hyper beam is a last resort only to be used in battling stronger foe, it is not guaranted to ko the enemy but deals great damage and dragon rage ehh you can replace it w/ any move

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    but outrage isn't horrible, it is the most powerful 3rd gen dragon move next to dragon claw, aerial ace is pretty good stragety but wing attack is more likely to be a KO move (not to be confused w/ one hit ko moves) and further more as i said hyper beam is a last resort only to be used in battling stronger foe, it is not guaranted to ko the enemy but deals great damage and dragon rage ehh you can replace it w/ any move
    The most powerful moves aren't always the best. Outrage and Hyper Beam are perfect examples. It is the locking down of the move that makes Outrage crap. For example, if you use Outrage and then your opponent switches to a Steel-type Poke, which resist Dragon attacks, you are stuck. The next turn your Poke will use Outrage again, and maybe even the turn after that. It is even worse in 2v2 since you cannot even control which Poke it will attack.

Wing Attack has no added benefit over Aerial Ace at all except more PP (35 vs. 20). Personally, having a move that will always hit wins against more PP, especially since in-game battles don't last nearly as long as competitive battles do.

You are giving too much credit to Hyper Beam. With your moveset, the almighty Hyper Beam will do max damage of 29% to Metagross. With my Dragon Dance moveset, however, an unboosted Earthquake will do max damage of 77%. After one Dragon Dance, it is a OHKO. With the SubPunch moveset, Focus Punch still does 58% max damage, or twice as much damage as Hyper Beam, plus you don't have to be locked into a turn to recharge.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    you're right powerful moves arent always the best just like you said but for one thing what are the odds of your opponent switching steel poke
    anyway in double battles outrage is not like earthquake which affects all poke's it's like razor leaf, swift and etc. and you have a good point but dragonite doent learn dragon dance to cover up outrage teach dragonite safeguard or keep it dragonite naturally learn safeguard and dragonite vs matagross ,dragonite uses hyper beam as a last resort so he(dragonite) could always use dragon rage sure it takes forever to knock metagross down but its worth a shot

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    you're right powerful moves arent always the best just like you said but for one thing what are the odds of your opponent switching steel poke
    anyway in double battles outrage is not like earthquake which affects all poke's it's like razor leaf, swift and etc. and you have a good point but dragonite doent learn dragon dance to cover up outrage teach dragonite safeguard or keep it dragonite naturally learn safeguard and dragonite vs matagross ,dragonite uses hyper beam as a last resort so he(dragonite) could always use dragon rage sure it takes forever to knock metagross down but its worth a shot
    Seeing as you are packing two Dragon moves, a Flying move, and a Normal move, that would be the first thing I did since all of the moves do .5 damage to Steel-types. If you were to battle competitively, you would see just how common Steel-types (i.e. Metagross, Skarmory, Forretress, Jirachi, etc.) really are.

Outrage is definitely not like Earthquake in which you can plan for and have your other Poke either immune to it or resist it. Outrage is not like Razor Leaf and Swift. Those moves hit both opponent's splitting the damage. Outrage hits only one Poke and the target is random. You have no control over it.

Dragonite certainly does learn Dragon Dance. It is what is called an Egg move. You breed a male Gyarados that knows Dragon Dance (Lv50) with a female Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite, and the baby will be born with the move.

As I said before, Hyper Beam isn't a great last resort and Dragon Rage certainly isn't, especially against Metagross. While you are chipping away at 29% max damage with Hyper Beam or 40 HP damage (13%) with the pathetic Dragon Rage, Metagross can do 65% max damage with a Rock Slide or STAB Meteor Mash, or even a OHKO with Explosion.

Siigari

NU Addict
    Years
    Holy crap you guys.

lol, this is a great argument.

I say, just have your Dragonite use Explosion. That's my 3 cents, adjusted for the inflation of this silly conversation.

edit: beaten on the Explosion, rofl

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Sorry, but Dragonite cannot learn Explosion, although an exploding Puff the Magic Dragon would be an interesting sight.

Lunux

<-- My recolours!!!
    Years
    Get a good flying pokemon, go to the ember spa and go in heal there and then give your Dragonair a EXP.share. Go out use your vs trainer and fight all of the fighting trainers with fighting pokemon. go back into the spa to heal and by the time you get there and back the vs. seeker will be charged again. quick and easy.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    Sorry, but Dragonite cannot learn Explosion, although an exploding Puff the Magic Dragon would be an interesting sight.

teehee, indeed it would =)

Get a good flying pokemon, go to the ember spa and go in heal there and then give your Dragonair a EXP.share. Go out use your vs trainer and fight all of the fighting trainers with fighting pokemon. go back into the spa to heal and by the time you get there and back the vs. seeker will be charged again. quick and easy.

you're still disregarding that fighting all those will boost the Attack EV count. if that's not something he doesn't want to do, then i definitely don't suggest it. besides, Island 7 is better for training. there, you can boost 5 different kind of EVs between 4 different trainers, all of which are nearby a pokemon center.

so i emphasize... ISLAND 7. heaven? no, but it's a good alternative.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2008
    i'd say train:

in the E4
    in the curileun cave/unknown dungeon (i have NO idea why some people call it unknown dungeon)
    or in island 7-6.

Lunux

<-- My recolours!!!
    Years
    you're still disregarding that fighting all those will boost the Attack EV count. if that's not something he doesn't want to do, then i definitely don't suggest it. besides, Island 7 is better for training. there, you can boost 5 different kind of EVs between 4 different trainers, all of which are nearby a pokemon center.

Sorry but i don't care about EVs so that's how i did it. i didn't mean to upset anything.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Is that so?
    Isn't dragon rage a bit weak?
    If you read the entire thread, you would know that has been discussed ad nauseum.

Sorry but i don't care about EVs so that's how i did it. i didn't mean to upset anything.
    Not caring about EVs is certainly your choice, although it is akin to driving a Ferrari everywhere in only second gear. So much wasted horsepower. Kinda like Dragon Rage on a Dragonite. LOL

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    in the curileun cave/unknown dungeon (i have NO idea why some people call it unknown dungeon

Because in the older games, the cave was called "Unknown Dungeon." Since it was the cave with the strongest pokemon in the game, and the end, people liked the name "Unknown Dungeon." You were unable to enter it unless you beaten the game. They changed the name, but people prefer the more mysterious name.

Back