• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen RBY - RSE Changes

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2007
    Ok, I was bored and I am probably best at RBY, so I decided to share some changes with you that often occur in Competitive Battling.

1. Thunder Wave + Agility

This is when the opponent uses Thunder Wave on lets say, your Dragonite. If your Dragonite then uses Agility, unlike in the RSE Generation it gets the +2 Speed Boost. The odd thing is, is that you get the Speed, but you also still have the Paralyze. That means that you are fast, but you have a 1/4 chance of being Fully Paralyzed.

2. Sleep Powder > Substitute

Another change is that Substitute doesn't block these things. Lets give an Example. If my Rhydon uses Substitute against the opponent's Exeggutor, and then the Exeggutor uses Sleep Powder it will go through the Substitute and put me to sleep. In RSE, if this happens it will be blocked. This also works for Stun Spore too. It does however block Toxic / Poisonpowder.

3. Special Stat / Critical Hits

In RBY, you may have noticed that there is only 1 Special Stat carefully named "Special". In RSE there is Special Defense / Special Attack. This affects moves like Growth, where it boosts the ability to not only Attack harder, but also take more hits. One of the common reasons why things like Slowbro are good in RBY. Also, Critical Hits in RBY are determined by Speed instead of having common ratio. That means that faster Pokemon like Persian, combined with Slash have a Critical Hit nearly every turn.

4. 99.6% Chance

They lied to us in RBY. Every move that has 100% accuracy really has 99.6%. This means that things like Surf / Explosion / Ice Beam can miss every once in a while. This actually happened to me once with Explosion, so watch out for that. 1/256 is nothing much to be worried about.

5. Counter

Counter in RBY, instead of countering back every Physical move only counters back the Normal and Fighting type moves. Nothing big, but just don't make this mistake in a certain situation.

Thank you for your time.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    Be sure to note that even Swift used to miss once in a while. It had 99.6% accuracy, but it was just not affected by Accuracy/Evade modifiers, nor Fly and Dig.

Yeah I remember that when I was using fly against the elite 4 my pokemon was in the air and when it was about to attack it said "MISSED" Then it apeared back on the ground. Same with dig.

But I always thought swift was always 100% acuracy

dude_dude

Cool dude
    Years
    I'm gonna say that swift and faint attack always make contact even if the oponent is flying or digging, the only reason it wouldnt is if the other guy uses protect or detect.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    wow I never knew this, I'm happy that substitute can block any stat effect because I love using Substituting Shuckle and then using protect while the foe is intoxicate

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Back