• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real pokemon guru

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    This was indirectly discussed, I believe. Pokemon are fundamentally different from humans, and (after the incident with the rice ball in the anime, I think) it's been shown that pokeballs only work on wild pokemon, unless otherwise stated (snag balls being the thing in my mind). I'll expand on this further, later.

As for absorb, the no-contact thing would fit in with my Aura theory. It's about a page or two back...
    The Pokemon using absorb uses Grass aura to infiltrate and extract raw life aura (aka, HP) and uses it for itself. This is an inefficient process, however, and only about half of the life aura gets use from the absorber. Zubat and the like use Bug aura in tandem with close physical contact, so almost all of the extracted aura gets used by the extracter.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • That seems interesting, but I was thinking that Grass pokemon would be able to absorb nutrients through contact, or through using extensions of their body, like vines in most cases. For example Bulbasaur could grab an enemy with its vines, and small barbs on the vines would be able to pierce the enemy pokemon's skin and drain nutrients and energy from its bloodsteam.

Absorb is listed as a non-contact move, so I tried to avoid the more... direct route.

I see a huge flaw here:

Note that Absorb isn't very effective against these Pokemon. Anyway, when absorb is used on a mechanical Pokemon like Beldum or Magnemite, a bit of electricity is drained. The same way electrical pulses can be used in muscular therapy in order to "heal" injuries, the Absorbed electricity can do the same. It also likely provides a small energy "jolt" (YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE).

This was probabbly asked before, but um how is it possible for a pokemon not to get killed after receiving such beat ups, or is it becuase they were born for that?

Pokemon can be killed; when under the command of a Trainer, Pokemon hold back their full destructive power, which is why Pokemon don't usually die in regulated matches. In the wild, however, there's no reason for a Pidgey to pull back on its Aerial Ace if it really wants to eat that Wurmple. Of course, though, Pokemon are much more resistant to injury than humans.

Note: in episode 105, "Charizard Chills", Ash's Charizard gets hit with a Poliwrath's Ice Beam that freezes it solid. Ash clearly fears that Charizard may die from its injuries.

come up with a new question: If pokemon can be taken into balls, I mean, on the common basis of biological mechanics, then human being could also be captured? (since i suppose that pokemon and human are both consisted of cells at least)

PokeBalls are manufactured with a fail-safe device. Each Ball is imprinted with a copy of the basic human genome (it's only 20MB!) with a clause that basically says "DO NOT CAPTURE THIS".

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    Absorb is listed as a non-contact move, so I tried to avoid the more... direct route.

Ah, didnt think of that. Well the pokemon using Absorb or any of its variants may focus on one thing, the pokemon being attacked, and use some sort of magnetic force (not actually magnetic, but some sort of attraction) that sucks the energy right out of the Pokemon being attcked.

Years
  • This was indirectly discussed, I believe. Pokemon are fundamentally different from humans, and (after the incident with the rice ball in the anime, I think) it's been shown that pokeballs only work on wild pokemon, unless otherwise stated (snag balls being the thing in my mind). I'll expand on this further, later.

em...cannot help thinking about how the balls distinguish other trainers' pokemon between wild pokemons as well as we human bodies. it would really be funny if invented incidently.

The Scientist

Years
  • This was indirectly discussed, I believe. Pokemon are fundamentally different from humans, and (after the incident with the rice ball in the anime, I think) it's been shown that pokeballs only work on wild pokemon, unless otherwise stated (snag balls being the thing in my mind). I'll expand on this further, later.

em...cannot help thinking about how the balls distinguish other trainers' pokemon between wild pokemons as well as we human bodies. it would really be funny if invented incidently.

lol that's not how you >greentext.

Every PokeBall has a serial number. When a Pokemon is captured and digitized for the first time, a copy of that serial number is imprinted onto it. PokeBalls are built so that they cannot capture anything except the Pokemon that has its imprinted code.

For example, I have a PokeBall with a serial number of SD000000001. I catch a Natu with this ball. Natu is now imprinted with its PokeBall's serial number. If I try to catch or recall another Pokemon with Natu's PokeBall, it won't work because the serials don't match up. If another PokeBall (with a different serial number) is used on my Natu, it won't work for the same reason.

Snag Balls override the serial number check.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Neiteio, you're a genius. I have a small question though - how do trainers distinguish between their Pokeballs. In Pokemon Special, the tops are semi-transparent, revealing a shrunken-down version of the pokemon (though this could arguably be an image on the top), but in the anime and in the games, no sign of this has been shown. So how come Ash never accidentally calls out Staravia instead of Gliscor?

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
  • Well that has nothing to do with the Pokemon... Just the trainers... I figure in the anime they have like tens of thousands of out takes of them sending out the wrong Pokemon over and over again xD... That's my scientific theory.... And in the games you're just lucky XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Oh and the whole soul thing: Sorry to smash religious beliefs and all, but everything from itelligence to morals to what you'd call a "soul" is stored as chemicals in the brain. There is no soul, there is just chains chemical reactions that appear to be a set of morals and habits. And if you had the chemicals, you could build an exact replica of a living being. But since you'd need impossible precision, and to know everything about more than hundreds of billions of particles, it's often considered impossible.
    Are you telling me that science has, without any shade of doubt or uncertainty, proven that souls do not exist?

The Scientist

Years
  • how do trainers distinguish between their Pokeballs. In Pokemon Special, the tops are semi-transparent, revealing a shrunken-down version of the pokemon (though this could arguably be an image on the top), but in the anime and in the games, no sign of this has been shown. So how come Ash never accidentally calls out Staravia instead of Gliscor?

I vaguely remember in the first season of the anime, Misty would occasionally call out Psyduck by accident. Also, Richie had stickers on his PokeBalls to tell them apart. This implies that Trainers sometimes do have trouble picking out the right Ball.

I think AlphaMightyena's got it: Trainers arrange their PokeBalls on their belt in a specific order. Also, not all of the Pokemon may be in the same type of Ball.

Ash's Pikachu's Ball has a lightning bolt mark on it (Episode 1).

Are you telling me that science has, without any shade of doubt or uncertainty, proven that souls do not exist?

On the contrary, a body in a vegetative/comatose state can be physically sound, but is just missing that "spark" of consciousness. If anything, SCIENCE has proven that there is an intangible source of sentience.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Neiteio said:
    On the contrary, a body in a vegetative/comatose state can be physically sound, but is just missing that "spark" of consciousness. If anything, SCIENCE has proven that there is an intangible source of sentience.
    Well I was kind of hoping for a response from Down with the darkness, but thanks.

The Scientist

Years
  • Pokemon DO eat each other. This is referenced by multiple Pokedex entries:
    Wurmple's Sapphire Entry said:
    Wurmple is targeted by Swellow as prey. This Pokémon will try to resist by pointing the spikes on its rear at the attacking predator. It will weaken the foe by leaking poison from the spikes.
    Gorebyss' Emerald Entry said:
    A Gorebyss siphons the body fluids of prey through its thin, tubular mouth. Its light pink body color turns vivid when it finishes feeding.
    Pidgeot's Blue Entry said:
    When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Magikarp.

As far as humans go, the only mention of Pokemon and food is in Canalave Library:
    Veilstone Myth said:
    A young man, callow and foolish in
    innocence, came to own a sword.
    With it, he smote Pokémon, which gave
    sustenance
    , with carefree abandon.
    Those not taken as food, he
    discarded
    , with no afterthought.
    The following year, no Pokémon
    appeared. Larders grew bare

The anime provides references of people eating, though, and there are apparently non-Pokemon animals that inhabit the world and are used for food. Ash dresses up in a cow [not Miltank] outfit in one episode, and fish are seen outside of the sunken S.S. Anne in its episode. After the exchange with James' Magikarp and Meowth, It is implied that humans can/will eat Pokemon in times of desperation.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    Question to keep this thread more active:
    Why is it that nearly every Pokemon can use the TM Toxic, and why many pokemon can use moves seemingly impossible, like Aggron being able to use Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.

Back