• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real vs... Real?

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Random Person said:
    Hostility on an internet forum is ridiculous. Seriously, there's nothing more pitiful than wasting your time arguing with someone that you don't know and most likely will never meet. If you're at a point where you need to argue with someone on an internet forum, maybe you could try doing something else with your life for a while until you cool down a bit.

Lol seriously?
    Real Life and Internet, are the same, one just through a computer. Tell me something.
    You can sh*t in a toilet, or you can sh*t in a hole.
    Does that make sh*ting any different?
    It may be a different location, but your expecting the same out come.

Seriously though, lol all this talk about, "Drama on the internet, why are you being so serious on the internet."
    Lol, as opposed to what?
    Saying it face to face?
    How is it any different then a phone call? Or a text, or a letter?
    The only thing thats different from the real world, and the internet, is that your in a different location, and your staring a monitor.
    The feeling, the emotions, the outcome, is all going to be the same.

(I apologize for the language.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    This is a SPAM thread, but I gotta agree with you, at least until the thread is locked. People are people. Internet or not. If people could stop comming with their E-Superiority, it'll make it an easier place. If you don't like how the internet works, stay off the internet.

Internet has people that gets pissed all the same, and you (the people saying that, not "you", the OP) aren't the internet messiah. You go out & 'live your life', stay out of mine.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    This is a SPAM thread, but I gotta agree with you, at least until the thread is locked. People are people. Internet or not. If people could stop comming with their E-Superiority, it'll make it an easier place. If you don't like how the internet works, stay off the internet.

Internet has people that gets pissed all the same, and you (the people saying that, not "you", the OP) aren't the internet messiah. You go out & 'live your life', stay out of mine.

What?
    How are you going to call this a spam thread?

No seriously, I wanna hear your reason for calling this a spam thread.
    Is because I am a new member?
    If so, you obviously have no clue how to forum.

sims796

Years
    No. Because of the cursing. Because of lack of real discussion. Most likely to be closed.

But is that the only thing you got from my post?

You are saying something about people on the web, but I ain't allowed to think this a SPAM thread? Or I must agree with you? Yeah, maybe random person was right.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    No. Because of the cursing. Because of lack of real discussion. Most likely to be closed.

But is that the only thing you got from my post?

No, no. I read your whole post.
    But the fact that you think it's spamming, wow.
    The swearing? I typed this on another forum, that of which there censorship is what you see in that post.
    Aparrently it isn't enough censorship -.-"

The lack of discussion?
    One, I just made this thread.
    Two, it is cause for more discussion, then the thread about a raccoon biting a guys penis.

So, your reasons for this being spam, are invalid.

Anyway. Your comment, the one actually pertaining to the thread, totally missed the purpose of my statement.
    My statement, being that of which both real life, and the internet are the same. Same crap, different location.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    There's a fine line between offline life and online life and that's real-time. Someone says something to your face offline, and it's expected that you reply quickly where as online, you have a chance to step back, take a deep breathe during an argument, and refrain yourself from doing something you're going to regret. It's really as simple as that. I agree; arguing, unless for valid reasons, online is something that is just showing that you have nothing better to do. This especially goes for forums. You can't honestly contrast going to the bathroom with arguments. You don't go on the computer to have arguments with people; especially if you engage in forum activity (with the exception of the debate forums, that is). You typically go on it to escape the pressures of everyday life. You want to get away from the arguing, not attract yourself to it.

With that said, obviously I strongly disagree with your logic.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    There's a fine line between offline life and online life and that's real-time. Someone says something to your face offline, and it's expected that you reply quickly where as online, you have a chance to step back, take a deep breathe during an argument, and refrain yourself from doing something you're going to regret. It's really as simple as that. I agree; arguing, unless for valid reasons, online is something that is just showing that you have nothing better to do. This especially goes for forums. You can't honestly contrast going to the bathroom with arguments. You don't go on the computer to have arguments with people; especially if you engage in forum activity (with the exception of the debate forums, that is). You typically go on it to escape the pressures of everyday life. You want to get away from the arguing, not attract yourself to it.

With that said, obviously I strongly disagree with your logic.

But the internet is merely that of the real world, just without consequence.
    Morals you stand for in the real world, should still qualify on the internet.

Arguing on the computer, is exactly the same as arguing in real life, except on the internet your expecting not to receive any consequences.

You the person, will be the same in an argument either on or off the internet.
    and If you change your demeanor for the sake of being on the internet, then your just being fake, and the consequences you would receive in the real world for being fake, would be just the same on the internet.

sims796

Years
    Ok.

One, it was a MINOR COMMENT.

Two, it was NOT the main point of my post, to get all worked up over.

Three, I actually agreed with what you just said. I got your point, didn't misunderstand a thing.

Maybe that random person was right.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Ok.

One, it was a MINOR COMMENT.

Two, it was NOT the main point of my post, to get all worked up over.

Three, I actually agreed with what you just said. I got your point, didn't misunderstand a thing.

Maybe that random person was right.

I thought we were passed this, when you negged me.

The Random Person is myself.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Morals you stand for in the real world, should still qualify on the internet.

Arguing on the computer, is exactly the same as arguing in real life, except on the internet your expecting not to receive any consequences.

You the person, will be the same in an argument either on or off the internet.
    and If you change your demeanor for the sake of being on the internet, then your just being fake, and the consequences you would receive in the real world for being fake, would be just the same on the internet.

Arguing online has consequences. Clearly you haven't made any friendships with anyone from forums, otherwise you would know that arguing eventually leads to fighting and that could lead to you breaking a friendship up with someone. Don't go around saying that there aren't any consequences online if you obviously haven't been in the position that consequences occur in.

As per your second part of the post, you're going around in a circle of words that don't belong together attempting to make your post more intelligent but failing horribly. I got your point, which was wrong, and responded to it. You're becoming a virtual headache with your replies. Honestly, there's more to discussions than invoking an argument. Now I see what the quote on the first post was directed to.

Bottom line, there's consequences online. But just because there are consequences online does not make online life remotely the same as to offline life as you believe.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Arguing online has consequences. Clearly you haven't made any friendships with anyone from forums, otherwise you would know that arguing eventually leads to fighting and that could lead to you breaking a friendship up with someone. Don't go around saying that there aren't any consequences online if you obviously haven't been in the position that consequences occur in.

As per your second part of the post, you're going around in a circle of words that don't belong together attempting to make your post more intelligent but failing horribly. I got your point, which was wrong, and responded to it. You're becoming a virtual headache with your replies. Honestly, there's more to discussions than invoking an argument. Now I see what the quote on the first post was directed to.

Bottom line, there's consequences online. But just because there are consequences online does not make online life remotely the same as to offline life as you believe.

I don't believe I said that there wasn't the chance of consequence on the internet. I did however say, that you go about, not EXPECTING consequence.
    I am on several forums, each in their own rights bringing consequence, only because I went looking for it.
    That being said, I do not believe my replies to your post, were to invoke arguing, or anything remotely near it.
    Just conversation, which, if done right, would bring more light onto the situation.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Now I am inclinded to agree with Aura more than before.

Maybe some people take the internet too far.

Or maybe some people realize that forums are really only good for, posting, and or causing some sort of entertainment.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't believe I said that there wasn't the chance of consequence on the internet. I did however say, that you go about, not EXPECTING consequence.
    I am on several forums, each in their own rights bringing consequence, only because I went looking for it.
    That being said, I do not believe my replies to your post, were to invoke arguing, or anything remotely near it.
    Just conversation, which, if done right, would bring more light onto the situation.

You honestly don't believe that you're invoking arguments? I've seen two threads started by you resulting in the same thing occuring; arguments and that's due to you being too headstrong to admit to the fact that people, other than yourself, have opinions. Someone states there opinion, and that's the end of it. It's not your responsibility to attempt to get them to change their mind. It is, however, your responsibility to accept the fact that they shared their opinion with you and accept that it's different than your own. With that said:

^ That right there states that arguing on the internet does not include consequences where as arguing in the real world does. That comes from your post. Clearly you don't proofread your posts before posting or you'd know that that's what you said.

Finally, to the last sentence; now you're just being annoying. I'm starting to see what Sims was saying. Eventually, if you continue to basically bash other opinions like this, you are going to find yourself earning infractions before you know it and that's a real shame. Had this been Other Entertainment, I'd be considering this as a disrespect to opinions, and you'd have received about three infractions for continuing it. I highly suggest you stop while your behind, though because believe me.. Chibi and Ray will honestly eat you alive if you continue to do this. Unless this is your attempt at creating an argument for an example to feed your own post.. which contradicts itself.

Edit: Yet again, you're arguing with someone's opinion and that was in the timespan of me typing my response. Dude, seriously, you're not God. Stop acting like it.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    You honestly don't believe that you're invoking arguments? I've seen two threads started by you resulting in the same thing occuring; arguments and that's due to you being too headstrong to admit to the fact that people, other than yourself, have opinions. Someone states there opinion, and that's the end of it. It's not your responsibility to attempt to get them to change their mind. It is, however, your responsibility to accept the fact that they shared their opinion with you and accept that it's different than your own. With that said:

^ That right there states that arguing on the internet does not include consequences where as arguing in the real world does. That comes from your post. Clearly you don't proofread your posts before posting or you'd know that that's what you said.

Finally, to the last sentence; now you're just being annoying. I'm starting to see what Sims was saying. Eventually, if you continue to basically bash other opinions like this, you are going to find yourself earning infractions before you know it and that's a real shame. Had this been Other Entertainment, I'd be considering this as a disrespect to opinions, and you'd have received about three infractions for continuing it. I highly suggest you stop while your behind, though because believe me.. Chibi and Ray will honestly eat you alive if you continue to do this. Unless this is your attempt at creating an argument for an example to feed your own post.. which contradicts itself.

Edit: Yet again, you're arguing with someone's opinion and that was in the timespan of me typing my response. Dude, seriously, you're not God. Stop acting like it.

This, this right here, prooves what I was told about this forum.
    First, about the consequence thing, if you read I then went on to say the bit about not expecting. I forgot to edit it, forgive me.

Also, this is why discussion on this forum fails.
    Simply leaving your comments, and not being allowed to reply to them defending your opinion, is absurd, and completely takes away from the meaning of this forum, even the name "Other Chat".

If I was god, I wouldn't leave any room for argument on the other side of this conversation.

In-Fractions?
    If I am breaking any rules, then warn me.
    If I am not, then leave it be.

sims796

Years
    Because not all threads are discussion threads. Some are purely "how do you feel", such as that baby thread. Those threads do not warrant defending of posistions, as they are merely personal opinions.

The reason why debates fail here is because nobody feels like making a direct debate thread. Most importantly, nobody directly insults, annd (usually) takes posts personal. For example, I agreed with your position, yet the only thing you focused on was the fact that I think this is a SPAM thread.

Random (be it you or not) & Aura were right, e-arguing as a whole is pointless, & not the same as IRL arguing.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Because not all threads are discussion threads. Some are purely "how do you feel", such as that baby thread. Those threads do not warrant defending of posistions, as they are merely personal opinions.

The reason why debates fail here is because nobody feels like making a direct debate thread. Most importantly, nobody directly insults, annd (usually) takes posts personal. For example, I agreed with your position, yet the only thing you focused on was the fact that I think this is a SPAM thread.

Random (be it you or not) & Aura were right, e-arguing as a whole is pointless, & not the same as IRL arguing.

An argument is only pointless if you cannot prove your side of it.

How are personal opinions, not able to defend?
    The reason I focues on the spam part, was because you had the audacity to come out, and call it that of such.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Simply leaving your comments, and not being allowed to reply to them defending your opinion, is absurd, and completely takes away from the meaning of this forum, even the name "Other Chat".

You're ignoring the reason behind my posts now. It's one thing to reply to someone else's opinion, but it's another thing to tell them that their opinion is wrong and then try to a full extent to try to prove that their opinion is inaccurate. You're basically debating now. I don't see why debating is necessary on a topic that asks if offline life and online life are any different. This thread already has been full of debating. That doesn't typically welcome any more discussion than others feeding the fire and this turning into a flame thread of opinions. That's as far as I see it going if this continues to happen, but it's not my place to say that.

Regardless of what I said and however wrong you think I may be, I still stand by what I said in that, though they are both real (which I never disagreed with), they have strong differences that make them pro and con against each other that can be taken both ways depending on the situation and are most certainly not the same. With that being said, there are ways to make them more alike. For example, having it done via webcam and microphone. That is as close as you're going to get in discussions to being the same (I'm sure everyone can agree with that).

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    You're ignoring the reason behind my posts now. It's one thing to reply to someone else's opinion, but it's another thing to tell them that their opinion is wrong and then try to a full extent to try to prove that their opinion is inaccurate. You're basically debating now. I don't see why debating is necessary on a topic that asks if offline life and online life are any different. This thread already has been full of debating. That doesn't typically welcome any more discussion than others feeding the fire and this turning into a flame thread of opinions. That's as far as I see it going if this continues to happen, but it's not my place to say that.

Regardless of what I said and however wrong you think I may be, I still stand by what I said in that, though they are both real (which I never disagreed with), they have strong differences that make them pro and con against each other that can be taken both ways depending on the situation and are most certainly not the same. With that being said, there are ways to make them more alike. For example, having it done via webcam and microphone. That is as close as you're going to get in discussions to being the same (I'm sure everyone can agree with that).

I never said your opinion was wrong.
    And this thread was created to debate the standings of whether offline and online are the same.

I don't see how being face to face, makes an argument any different. Seriously I don't.
    Take an argument about the president, Yay or Nay, and why.
    How is that argument going to be any different online, as apossed to offline?
    Seriously, your going to bring up the same points, during the same times, if you were on or off.
    Going back to your comment on how the timing would be different. The timing is only different if you allow it to be, in that case, it is your own choice to change the situation. That still does not make arguing on or offline any different.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't see how being face to face, makes an argument any different. Seriously I don't.
    Take an argument about the president, Yay or Nay, and why.
    How is that argument going to be any different online, as apossed to offline?
    Seriously, your going to bring up the same points, during the same times, if you were on or off.
    Going back to your comment on how the timing would be different. The timing is only different if you allow it to be, in that case, it is your own choice to change the situation. That still does not make arguing on or offline any different.

Politics is a heated subject and varies depending on who you talk to, but doing it online is much less weighty against you. That brings us back to consequences.

The consequences that occur online differ from those that occur off. Consequences, with the exception of those that effect relationships, online (depending on where you are) varies. You could get banned from something, receive warnings from others, etc. You can't really get that offline. If you share you opinion on something and go too far, the worse you can get (varies) but in no way will you receive a permanent reminder of what you did like you do on forums (be it any type of forum).

Timing online is possibly the greatest thing that could ever happen during an argument. Online, you do really get a sense of what's the logical response and what's the illogical response as you can actually see your words that they're going to read on the screen. Offline during an argument, you talk without thinking and that's not helpful in anyway to the argument other than just feeding it to becoming something worse than what it already is.

But to address the quote, I see no need for someone to be arguing unless the topic at hand addresses it. But I don't see why it's taken seriously online. Usually, people who are involved in arguments come out in the end actually being friends with the person they were arguing, or in this case, I should say debating, due to how much they got to really see how intelligent they are. Typically, offline, that does not occur. Again, consequences.

Back