• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recommend a physical wall for this team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Cheers for the extra info here guys. So far Slowbro seems to be working well, still a little concerned about how I'd deal with a physical electric mon, though in fairness they're hardly common and porygon2 handles the special side, especially if its jolteon as it traces volt absorb and Electivire it gets motor drive (albeit it's vulnerable to fighting moves).

So with say defensive Arcanine, which I've used before on a sun team, what did you envisage this replacing? Was it in place of slowbro as the physical wall?

I mean I don't know if Virizion could still be an idea to handle electric attacks..

I was also thinking, So far mons I want to stick with for sure are Porgon2, Sigilyph and Zoroark. For now Slowbro being the physical wall I suppose.

So If I remove Gyarados to make this a UU team, what can do its job well? Moxie is really nice, so I was looking at a Choice scarf Krookodile? Resists dark, though obviously I'd have to access their team beforehand to not be locked into EQ on flying/floating foes.

Otherwise I was looking at possibly trying a rock polish Rhyperior set?

Finally, I was looking at Mega Absol. 252 Att/Speed, Naive nature...

Either....

Protect (on turn of M-evo to gain speed)
    Sucker punch/Night slash/Knock off
    Play rough
    Superpower/Fire blast

Or...

Swords dance
    Sucker punch/night slash/knock off
    Play rough
    Superpower/Fire blast

With the big buff to Knock off and the fact most (well all basically) mons carry an item, I was thinking it might be a good move to use here.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Mega-Absol does not need Protect. A well timed Sucker Punch is all it needs. Beware that Knock Off and Superpower are 5th gen moves only, so they are incompatible with Play Rough.

There is nothing in the game that matches Gyaradoses combination of bulk, offense, utility and typing, even in OU. If you need an offensive setup sweeper, Nasty Plot Mega-Houndoom is THE mon of choice in UU. Mega-Blastoise is similar to Gyarados as a tank while providing Rapid Spin service. If you are still afraid of electric types, mixed Hippowdon is still an option.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Mega-Absol does not need Protect. A well timed Sucker Punch is all it needs. Beware that Knock Off and Superpower are 5th gen moves only, so they are incompatible with Play Rough.

There is nothing in the game that matches Gyaradoses combination of bulk, offense, utility and typing, even in OU. If you need an offensive setup sweeper, Nasty Plot Mega-Houndoom is THE mon of choice in UU. Mega-Blastoise is similar to Gyarados as a tank while providing Rapid Spin service. If you are still afraid of electric types, mixed Hippowdon is still an option.

Hmm guess that's right, I mean they're mostly forced to attack if they're not a mon which generally set ups, since status will be bounced back. I suppose the only issue is its fragility.

My only concern about opting for a specially based sweeper is my team would then seem to be rather specially based, with only Hitmonlee being a physical attacker, who's kind of situational with him fearing priority so much.

Unless I tried Mega absol, then got rid of Hitmonlee for something else if folks feel there are better options.

If I tried Mega Absol with a swords dance set, to switch in to walls/support mons, what moves would be recommended? I assume play rough is quite a useful move, as it tackles its fighting weakness along with other dark mons and dragons. So that would mean carrying sucker punch or night slash. Then what would be the final move, fire blast for steels?

I might give a life orb or lum berry Virizion a go in place of hitmonlee, and if I don't like the results, try Hippowdon.

Last edited:
    Back