• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remastered Kanto and Johto Overworld and Caves Map Pack, with Bonus Beta maps (and Music)

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Remastered Kanto and Johto Overworld and Caves Map Pack, with Bonus Beta maps (and Music)

ehGGZ3n.png
    9GhxaWO.png

Are you a solo dev struggling to fill all the roles?

Are you adept at writing and designing, and in need of a ready-made playground for your ideas?

Are you a designer lacking a knack for mapping?

Do you want to practice your mapping by altering an existing region?

Are you short on time yet you want to explore your creativity?

Fret not for I present you: Remastered Kanto and Johto Overworld and Caves Map Pack!

Gallery:

Spoiler: Images

Especially useful for beginners wanting to kickstart their project, for game jammers, but also for veterans who want to focus on other areas.

This map pack has been adapted from The First Journey's adjustment of JohtoBlaziken's original Kanto maps, https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=407866 , and my own remaking from the ground-up (with most cave maps by Earthescape/Orbitender) of Johto for Red's Journey West - remade to suit the purposes of a map pack resource easily usable and editable by anyone regardless of experience. Maps are fully connected.

Features:

- Fully connected overworld maps (only applicable to new projects, you will have to reconnect them yourself on existing projects, do not replace the map connections data file in your existing project)

- Beautiful Gen 4 HGSS modified tiles (please see credits)

- Compact tilesets whose tiles are easy to replace and modifty

- Basic Autotiles

- Basic Passability

- Beta cut content from Kanto and Johto featured! The lost island town to the left of Vermilion, the cut routes from Goldenrod to Olivine, the cut beta Mine dungeon, the lost Johto port town!

- No more Filler Maps! All maps were carefully re-stitched together and resized, so that no unnecessary connections are needed to cover for viewport edges!

- Increased width! This Map Pack should cover bigger resolutions, too.

- All Johto caves except for Mt. Silver, all Kanto caves except for Cerulean Cave and Victory Road!

- Original remixes of FRLG Music for Kanto! (Johto might come eventually but these take a lot of time to make)

How to use:

============================================
    Clean Install:
    ============================================

1) Start with a blank project, or a default, vanilla Essentials one.
    2) Clear your metadata PBS (version 18) or map_metadata PBS (version 20+) file of any entries below the global metadata (anything after map 001). Else you might get some weird leftover effects from the default maps.
    3) Copy the map pack's contents over. For the PBS folder, select the one that matches your Essentials version, and copy that. Should ask to replace for all instances.
    4) Open RMXP.
    5) Hit playtest and let the project compile

==================================================
    Existing projects:
    ====================================================

1) Create a big number of new maps (as many as you need)
    2) Copy the tileset graphics over to your "Tilesets" folder
    3) Copy the autotile graphics over to your "Autotiles" folder
    4) Open your own RMXP Project and go to your tileset database.

5) Open this Map Pack's RMXP project, go to the Tilesets Database, and copy Tilesets 21-24 over to your own Tilesets 21-24. Those are the Map Pack's tilesets (so if you already have tilesets there, the maps won't work well, as these IDs are needed). There are more than 140 maps in this pack, so you'd rather change the ones you are already using, otherwise pain will ensue

6a) Now, at this point you have two options. Either create new maps and rename the map pack's map data IDs to the new ones you have made - so if you have a new blank map ID of 120, and the map you want from the map pack is 45, you must rename 45 to 120, and then replace the map. NEVER COPY MAPINFOS.RXDATA. Only meant for new, empty projects.

6b) Use Select map copying

Select Map Copying: How to paste a map's graphical content without affecting events, and any other data

If you want to copy maps between projects without altering your map data in any way except visually, or simply want to make the current maps larger/different and then reconnect them yourself, or want to add to existing maps you have made with the same tileset, use the following:

1. Make sure your map has the tileset of the map you will copy from, in its map properties
    2. Use the "select" tool that comes with RMXP (to the left of the ½ zoom buttons)
    3. Select the entire map by hitting Ctrl + A
    4. Go to your own map (make sure you are using the same tileset images and tile data number)
    5. Hit Ctrl + V
    6. Drag the pasted map image around with your mouse
    7. Connect the maps as explained in the Essentials Wiki

For visual clarity, you can disable layer transparency visibility by hitting F4. This will disable layer visibility, so don't forget to set it back to normal when you are done.

Notes:

- You will notice that there are a bunch of extra maps that haven't been used. Those are placeholders for future updates. Better leave them untouched.

- Door tiles are included but haven't been used due to most of the community utilizing animated event character doors.

- Arrangement of exterior tileset's first half is a bit weird due to it being modeled on top of JBs and Essentials older default. However, it's very compact and easy to edit.

- The goal of this map pack is to offer an easy to use gen 4 region template, not to faithfully recreate Kanto 1:1.

- There's 3 variants of Sea Water in this map pack. The amazing HGSS Autotiles made by DeepBluePacificWaves has been sparsely used due to TFJ using an older engine, but I have included it here along with an example of usage in the Tohjo Falls map. This type of water needs a 4-tile shift-mapping technique, and a second autotile layer for the edges of the water to be shown properly. So I have used a non-animated simple water tile for the vast majority of waters in the maps. There is also a more classic animated one that you can replace most of the waters with, if you want. I personally used to avoid animated autotiles due to performance reasons, but newer Essentials have no issues nowadays.

- If you want to contribute to the project with clean maps and compact tilesets as presented in the template of this map pack, please contact me.

Credits:

You MUST CREDIT Johtoblaziken (Base kanto maps), Earthescape/Orbitender (Johto caves), and AenaonDusky. As well as the game I originally made these for - PS: The First Journey & Red's Journey West. Please also attach the Tileset credits as mentioned below.

=================================
    ~ Original FRLG maps ~

GameFreak

JohtoBlaziken

~ Johto Caves ~
    Earthescape/Orbitender

~ Tiles ~

GameFreak

SirMalo's HGSS Rips for RMXP

La Pampa - Epic Adventures > Tileset from Pokemon Epic Adventures (La Pampa) https://pokemonworkshop.com/forum/index.php?topic=409
    (make sure you credit everyone else mentioned there)

Kyledove - Some overworld tiles

SailorVicious - Some overworld tiles

hek-el-grande, light-pa, zerudez, phyromatical - Lava/volcanic tiles

Flurmimon - A few cave tiles

Rayquaza Dot - Some overworld tiles

ChaoticCherryCake - Truck from Public Tiles

DeepBluePacificWaves - HGSS Water

~ Map modifications and 50/60's Kanto ~

AenaonDusky, from "PS: The First Journey"

===================================
    ~ Music ~
    ===================================

Gamefreak

FRLG Midis ripped by MarinaraSauce

Remastered and rearranged by AenaonDusky

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music Preview:

Pewter: https://mega.nz/file/tK5SVagS#M3QJg8mzmf8R_iUCueZr1DgByMPHFkVSHEhkAZeTSFY

Cinnabar: https://mega.nz/file/wHxUAArL#6RXsyJh3VnHFRuM74wG6ozL2h69le_TdDkKc4YMbbmM

Route 3: https://mega.nz/file/xWo2XQxJ#ScP-FmJ4rR4xVAkg9ltfPjn19ZiTDHR5dLnxoqhW4DI

Viridian Forest: https://mega.nz/file/tKoSmAAI#itIxvXpDBDSxPkfSZgzBic4hdk3EyDEDV61WZrfngLU

Resource Download:

Version 1.1 download

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Woah! Amazing job, definitely can't wait to play around with this later

Thank you, I hope we can eventually add to this pack to make it complete (and perhaps add more regions?)
    Spoiler:

Years
  • This is amazing!
    Is your end goal to make a game using this pack or just to provide resources for others to use?

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    This is amazing!
    Is your end goal to make a game using this pack or just to provide resources for others to use?

It's the opposite! I repurposed Johtoblaziken's Kanto maps to suit gen 4' style and made a 1950s Kanto for "The First Journey", and I thought it'd have been really rude not to release all that work as an available resource for everyone to use. Map packs like these are valuable for many designers and writers who don't have the time to also make maps... so with a game already made using the same maps that are now in the map pack, it'd be a great chance to give back to the community.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That's amazing, I was actually talking with Johtoblaziken about assisting him with the project back in 2018. Though the most he really asked of me was to compress graphic files.
    If your interested in taking contribution to the next level shoot me a PM, I have something in early development that could use second set of hands =3

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    That's amazing, I was actually talking with Johtoblaziken about assisting him with the project back in 2018. Though the most he really asked of me was to compress graphic files.
    If your interested in taking contribution to the next level shoot me a PM, I have something in early development that could use second set of hands =3

That sounds awesome but I'm excruciatingly busy these days... Feel free to use anything from the pack though, since that's what it was made for. I might have the time to work on adding more to the soundtrack around Christmas though, so if it's music it might be easier for me to contribute.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Music would be a great help!

Cool! As always, feel free to use music from this pack. Otherwise, you can hit me up with a list detailing what you need. The earlier the better.

EDIT: There's also a PSDK version of this map pack on the Pokemon Workshop Forums!

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    The pack has been updated to 2.0.

I have re-connected and readjusted all of the maps, here's why:

=====================================================================
    Essentials sometimes glitches map connections out. This may result in memory leaks and weird bugs like seeing edges of maps where they shouldn't be.
    I have noticed it happening like this:

- random maps are being connected to other random maps
    - The PBS file for map connections gets overwritten too!

To avoid this, make your map_connections.txt read-only upon connecting new maps. (RMXP will complain and set it to normal next time you open, so every change you make in your map connections, make sure to copy your PBS contents to a text file in your desktop, and then compare the two files to see if any weird thing has happened).

If you don't make any changes to the the map connections in this pack, you won't be affected anyway.

=========================================================================

v2 Changelog:

Removed all unnecessary filler maps
    Readjusted and reconnected all maps
    Updated tileset functionality

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    The Map Pack has finally been updated with the entirety of Johto, as well as the lost Beta maps of both regions.

Changelog:

- Added the entirety of the Johto overworld, and all caves except for Mt. Silver

- Redesigned all Kanto maps to get rid of all filler maps, and cover bigger resolutions

- Improved Kanto cave maps

- Updated instructions

Last edited:
    Back