• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen ~Remembering The Days~

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    I remember first picking a Charmander, then beating your badly named rival. Getting your pokemon to evolve. Then getting the first sequel or remake. Yellow in my case. Made the game even more fun. You get to play thru the anime, and Pikachu follows you. Then in GS, you finally get NEW pokemon, and can now BREED pokemon... w0000t. I became addicted to making uber babies.

Then crystal came out, and you can play as a girl, I did... lol Cuz I could! Named her Bettina because of a girl I had a crush on at that point. Had a female Waninoko (Totodile's Japanese name). Got my first Scizor.. Fond fond memories..

Then... I got a GBA, got Golden sun first, then RS.... was severely disappointed in the quality of the game, just between the differences of Pokemon games. And then other games on the GBA.. they seemed to let pokemon fall behind the pack in terms of new content, graphics for sure, and added fun value. It was kinda just the same ole same ole. Felt letdown.. Specially since they took OUT a bunch of content they had in GSC. Then stopped playing for awhile.

I got back into it, recently. My gf's kid liked the Anime, so I let him play my Yellow.. Now hes an addict, and I have picked it up just to be able to help him. Which got me back into it. Just the other day, I got my Waninoko back, my crystal copy has lost its memory. I completed the HoennDex in Emerald. So Now I got a lvl 41 Ferligatr. W00t.. named her Waninoko of course.

They need to add in more little things like that. Giving us the choice to say if this trainer has been in another region before would be nice. Too give us the feel that we're just starting over. Idk about you all, but its kinda depressing to say goodbye to your old friend, just to make a new one, and steal all the good pokemon from the last. lol.

One thing that bothers me, is while they made GSC abit more adult, adding in new types, a female trainer, the rival STOLE his pokemon. RSE failed to seem adult in anyway. I mean the kid is almost done with it, and he just got it last week.

Too make Pokemon have that new feel again. I think they need to add in Customization, trainer, and pokemon, Ribbons, hats, w/e. A couple new types to rebalance the gameplay. In my opinion, there are some types that have become uber, not as bad as Psychic was in RBY, hence why we got Steel and Dark. But Poison... while having 2 decent attacks.. they don't beat anything that people use... Normal.. understandable this one is supposed to be weaker but still come on, it used to be good. A Snorlax with hyperbeam. PWN.

I would also like to see some new features, genetic tracking, for breeders mostly. A record of the parents you view for whichever pokemon. And a Notepad would be handy, I forget constantly what I was doing, when real life happens, and I don't get to play for 2-3 days.

Ok, I went off on a rant about new things.. Sorry, but I feel those could help with the fun factor, which I think most of us can agree is what made Pokemon give us the fun memories we have now.

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
    I remember getting Chrystal as a Christmas gift. It was bundled along with a stylish green Gameboy Color. Not see through purple, but green- bright green. I rember Cyndaquil has my first stater Pokemon and the first Pokemon I caught was a Pidgey. Even to this day I always catch a Flying/Normal Pokemon. I remember finishing all of the puzzles in the ruins and catching a lot of Poke in the bug catching contest. I remember hatching my first egg and then putting that weak little baby Pokemon in the PC. I was impatient ad haven't the time to train a Pokemon up from level five again. I remember fighting Whitney, oh I remember fighting Whitney and training Cyndaquil until it was on level. I remember being such a horrible player and only paying attention to my shiny new starter Pokemon.

I remember fighting Suicune... and letting it faint. Then I went off to the Lake of rage and fight the Red Gyardos... and letting it faint. From there I beat the Elite four and went of to the Kanto region. I caught many, many Pokemon in that region. When I was done defeating that region's Gym Leaders, i was ready to face Red in a battle, but I was coward. I could not fight Red and to this day, my avatar of me sits in front of Mount. Sliver. Waiting to fight Red. One day, I may come back to the game and fight red, but I won't, because then I'll have to face reality.

m

Pokemon Rule. Simply Put.
    Years
    I remember first picking a Charmander, then beating your badly named rival. Getting your pokemon to evolve. Then getting the first sequel or remake. Yellow in my case. Made the game even more fun. You get to play thru the anime, and Pikachu follows you. Then in GS, you finally get NEW pokemon, and can now BREED pokemon... w0000t. I became addicted to making uber babies.

Then crystal came out, and you can play as a girl, I did... lol Cuz I could! Named her Bettina because of a girl I had a crush on at that point. Had a female Waninoko (Totodile's Japanese name). Got my first Scizor.. Fond fond memories..

Then... I got a GBA, got Golden sun first, then RS.... was severely disappointed in the quality of the game, just between the differences of Pokemon games. And then other games on the GBA.. they seemed to let pokemon fall behind the pack in terms of new content, graphics for sure, and added fun value. It was kinda just the same ole same ole. Felt letdown.. Specially since they took OUT a bunch of content they had in GSC. Then stopped playing for awhile.

I got back into it, recently. My gf's kid liked the Anime, so I let him play my Yellow.. Now hes an addict, and I have picked it up just to be able to help him. Which got me back into it. Just the other day, I got my Waninoko back, my crystal copy has lost its memory. I completed the HoennDex in Emerald. So Now I got a lvl 41 Ferligatr. W00t.. named her Waninoko of course.

They need to add in more little things like that. Giving us the choice to say if this trainer has been in another region before would be nice. Too give us the feel that we're just starting over. Idk about you all, but its kinda depressing to say goodbye to your old friend, just to make a new one, and steal all the good pokemon from the last. lol.

One thing that bothers me, is while they made GSC abit more adult, adding in new types, a female trainer, the rival STOLE his pokemon. RSE failed to seem adult in anyway. I mean the kid is almost done with it, and he just got it last week.

Too make Pokemon have that new feel again. I think they need to add in Customization, trainer, and pokemon, Ribbons, hats, w/e. A couple new types to rebalance the gameplay. In my opinion, there are some types that have become uber, not as bad as Psychic was in RBY, hence why we got Steel and Dark. But Poison... while having 2 decent attacks.. they don't beat anything that people use... Normal.. understandable this one is supposed to be weaker but still come on, it used to be good. A Snorlax with hyperbeam. PWN.

I would also like to see some new features, genetic tracking, for breeders mostly. A record of the parents you view for whichever pokemon. And a Notepad would be handy, I forget constantly what I was doing, when real life happens, and I don't get to play for 2-3 days.

Ok, I went off on a rant about new things.. Sorry, but I feel those could help with the fun factor, which I think most of us can agree is what made Pokemon give us the fun memories we have now.

Im glad you wrote that stuff, thank you for taking the time to write a book on my thread XD. Yeah, I agree with you 100%, it seems people here DO feel the same as I do about Pokemon, and still have memories as such as mine. Cool XD.

Years
    I remember the good days of G/S/C when EV and IVs were unknown to me and for some odd reason I always remember myself playing at nighttime trying to catch the legendary dogs and arriving at Vermillion with my team after the Elite 4.

Years
    Wow! This thread makes me kinda glad I kept my Red version.

I saw my first Pokemon game around 1998. It was sitting behind the glass case inside the Wal-Mart. At first I thought the games looked lame and I didn't really want to get them. Then I saw the first episode of the anime and I became fascinated. Then around Fall 1999, I got my first Pokemon game, Pokemon Yellow, along with my first Game Boy, which I stil have.

At that time, I couldn't get past the old man, but eventually I figured it out. I remember having trouble defeating Brock but then I captured a Mankey and trained it to learn Low Kick. After that I PWNED Brock and I was soooo happy. It took me almost two months of playing to get to Vermillion City and when I did, I called up my friend and told him. I was so excited... Nowadays it only takes me two/three hours to get to Vermillion City.

I played Yellow to death until I got Red. Unfortunately, I gave my Yellow to a friend for two computer games and hundreds of Yu-gi-Oh cards. I still have Red though.

Then I heard of all the "Pokegods" and the secret Mew truck trick, however, I never bothered to do them since I didn't have the patience or the attention span to do them.

After finding all these glitches last year, I fired up my Red version and played the Missingno glitch and the Glitch City glitch and that pretty much rekindled my addictiveness with the first gen.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2007
    how odd, i remember... BUBBLEBEAM

*alternating colours*

weewohweewohweewoh!

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    i remember in G/S/C when you could buy all three punches. those were da days

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    yeah I remember when I lost my first gold version. My mom baught me a new one and once I beat the third gym I looked in my closet and found my old gold adn w/ no messed up file. I was so happy.

Back