• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RESOLVED [pokered] I need help, I ran out of space in Pictures when replacing Original sprites with Gen 2 Sprites

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    I've been replacing the original Pokemon Red Sprites with modified Pokemon Silver sprites. The colors are proper, the modifications I had made were making them greyscale. I use cygwin to compile the rom, and up until doing back sprites its worked perfectly fine. Now after finishing replacing all the back sprites, I get these errors. I've already followed a tutorial to modify the sprite system so it doesn't scale back sprites up. What should I do?

Attachments

• RESOLVED [pokered] I need help, I ran out of space in Pictures when replacing Original sprites with Gen 2 Sprites
      help.png
      23.5 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Try redefining the sections in gfx/pics.asm so that you respect the 0x4000 size limit.

Your first attempt could be to move around the .pic files to another section. For example you could move
    TangelaPicFront:: INCBIN "gfx/pokemon/front/tangela.pic" TangelaPicBack:: INCBIN "gfx/pokemon/back/tangelab.pic"
    to underneath
    SECTION "Pics 5", ROMX

And if you can't fit all your sprites in all the sections in gfx/pics.asm, try defining a new section e.g. after the Elite Four sprites, you can make SECTION "Pics 7", ROMX with your new .pic files.

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Try redefining the sections in gfx/pics.asm so that you respect the 0x4000 size limit.

Your first attempt could be to move around the .pic files to another section. For example you could move
    TangelaPicFront:: INCBIN "gfx/pokemon/front/tangela.pic" TangelaPicBack:: INCBIN "gfx/pokemon/back/tangelab.pic"
    to underneath
    SECTION "Pics 5", ROMX

And if you can't fit all your sprites in all the sections in gfx/pics.asm, try defining a new section e.g. after the Elite Four sprites, you can make SECTION "Pics 7", ROMX with your new .pic files.
    After moving the pic files to their own section I get this error now

Attachments

• RESOLVED [pokered] I need help, I ran out of space in Pictures when replacing Original sprites with Gen 2 Sprites
      help2.png
      25 KB · Views: 2

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Tried re-arranging some of what I moved, this is the error now

Attachments

help3.png
      24 KB · Views: 2
    Years
  • Alright the best step may be to introduce a new section named "Pics 7" or something else of your liking, include some sprite pic files there and then update layout.link so that you have a new ROM bank.
    Edit: Remove suggestion that doesn't work

Last edited:

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    I think maybe the problem is each Section takes up too much space to be with the battle engines in layout.link. I don't know what to do to change that, maybe by moving the engines into their own sections in layout.link?

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    I tried the fix you mentioned and it did nothing to change the error

Years
  • What error do you get exactly? is it still the "but then it would overflow ROMX" error?
    Yeah sorry for that suggestion. It wouldn't work because it requires changing the logic in home/pics.asm

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    This screenshot is the exact error I'm getting whenever I use "make" in Cygwin. It was caused after I moved several pokemon out of the different Picture sections because there was originally an error saying there wasn't enough space in each Section.

Attachments

error.png
      21.2 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Like you said it seems like since the Pics banks are bigger now, they can't be put with the Battle Engine banks.
    What if you try moving Pics 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 like so? I think this may do the trick.
    Spoiler:

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    I actually figured it out, I moved Pokemon out of the Pics Banks that were with the engines into a Pics 8 folder, and it compiled correctly.

Back