• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Rival by Gender

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    So I'm new to Pokemon Essentials, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Sp, I'm wondering if there's a way to change the rival character in Pokemon Essentials, like what Ruby, Saaphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire did. Anyone know how I can do this, or is there no way to do this without hacking another rom?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I do that exact same thing with rivals depending on gender. What I do is in the game intro is when you pick you gender, it also sets a custom switch called "Is Boy" or "Is Girl". Then the rival has 2 event pages with a page condition for the event to have one event page if your a boy and another event page if your a girl. Each event page would just use different graphics and different battles.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2023
    Same here, and i have another tipp for you, if you using the \b or \r Command to color a Text regarding the Gender of the speaking Person.
    i added:
    Code:
    text.gsub!(/\\x/i,"<c3=E00808,D0D0C8>") if $Trainer && $game_switches[241]
    text.gsub!(/\\x/i,"<c3=3050C8,D0D0C8>") if $Trainer && !$game_switches[241]
    in "Messages" right after:
    Code:
    text.gsub!(/\\pn/i,$Trainer.name) if $Trainer
    text.gsub!(/\\pm/i,_INTL("${1}",$Trainer.money.to_s_formatted)) if $Trainer
    text.gsub!(/\\n/i,"\n")
    text.gsub!(/\\\[([0-9a-f]{8,8})\]/i) { "<c2="+$1+">" }
    text.gsub!(/\\pg/i,"\\b") if $Trainer && $Trainer.male?
    text.gsub!(/\\pg/i,"\\r") if $Trainer && $Trainer.female?
    text.gsub!(/\\pog/i,"\\r") if $Trainer && $Trainer.male?
    text.gsub!(/\\pog/i,"\\b") if $Trainer && $Trainer.female?
    text.gsub!(/\\pg/i,"")
    text.gsub!(/\\pog/i,"")
    text.gsub!(/\\b/i,"<c3=3050C8,D0D0C8>")
    text.gsub!(/\\r/i,"<c3=E00808,D0D0C8>")
    If you are doing this, you can use "\x" in a Text Command as well, but now the Color is exactly the opposite of your Gender (So red if you are a boy and blue if you are a girl), where $game_switches[241] is my "IsBoy" Custom Switch.
    This make it way easier to handle the different Event pages for both possible Rivals because you dont have to rewrite every \b to \r or vice versa.
    But, this is just a comfort thing, its not necessary.

Back