• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT, UU, downsizing the balloon.

Stan_Marino

Wailord Biologist
    Years
    Sooooo, I've finally decided to get into some competitive battling, and being the underdog-loving person that I am, I'm starting off in the UU tier. Unfortunately, much of my reasoning behind constructing my team has a lot to do with aesthetics and blatant favoritism (hence my stubborn decision to use Mantine no matter what). Unfortunately, even with optimal EVs and movesets, I'm sure there's some problems with synergy (i.e. this team is lacking the proper elements). Ideally I'd like to drop Drifblim, for various reasons, and replace it with something else in that tier. Anyone have any recommendations for a better replacement, and if the current pokemon offend thee, dost thou have a better idea for movesets or EVs? Also, I'm open to dropping most team members for something else, except for Mantine and Cacturne. I love Mantine and Cacturne. Let fly with the criticisms.

Sandslash (Rapid spin/physical sweeper)
    Move #1: Earthquake
    Move #2: Night Slash
    Move #3: Stealth Rock
    Move #4: Rapid Spin
    Held Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Attack

Camerupt (Restalk)
    Move #1: Stone Edge
    Move #2: Earthquake
    Move #3: Rest
    Move #4: Sleep Talk
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Attack

Drifblim (Annoyer)
    Move #1: WoW
    Move #2: Haze
    Move #3: Destiny Bond
    Move #4: Shadow Ball
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Aftermath
    252 HP, 252 Speed/6 sp. attack

Ampharos (Scarfspecial sweeper)
    Move #1: Thunderbolt
    Move #2: Focus Blast
    Move #3: Signal Beam
    Move #4: Thunder Wave
    Held Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Static
    EV's: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 HP

Cacturne (Counter/Physical sweeper)
    Move #1: Counter
    Move #2: Sucker Punch
    Move #3: Destiny Bond
    Move #4: Seed Bomb
    Held Item: Focus Sash
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: 32HP, 252Atk, 224Spd

Mantine (Special Wall)
    Move #1: Toxic
    Move #2: Protect
    Move #3: Surf
    Move #4: Aqua Ring
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SPDEF, 4 SPATK

Note: This isn't quite the order I'm going to be going with, so don't think Sandslash is necessarily going to lead. Any tips on WHO should lead would be super-duper.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    Changes in bold; comments below.

Sandslash (Rapid spin/physical sweeper)
    Move #1: Earthquake
    Move #2: Stone Edge
    Move #3: Stealth Rock
    Move #4: Rapid Spin
    Nature: Impish
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Attack
    There's really only 1 pokemon that Night Slash hits for more damage than Earthquake, and that's Rotom. If you REALLY need to beat Rotom (which you shouldn't be trying to do with Sandslash anyway, then I suppose you could keep it, but Stone Edge gives Sandslash an advantage over fliers like Aerodactyl and Swellow.

Camerupt (Restalk)
    Move #1: Stone Edge
    Move #2: Earthquake
    Move #3: Rest
    Move #4: Sleep Talk
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Attack
    I don't like this guy so much on this team. You already have a special wall in Mantine, and a Edgequaker and electric immunity in Sandslash, so let's replace this with something more useful. I would go for another sweeper here, as your current sweepers consist of a scarfer (more of a revenge killer) and a slow Sucker Punch user with limited coverage. Maybe something like Nasty Plot Ninetales, which offers you fire coverage.

Ninetales (special sweeper)
    Move #1: Nasty Plot
    Move #2: Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Move #3: Energy Ball
    Move #4: HP Ground/Dark Pulse/Hypnosis
    Held Item: Life Orb/Wide Lens
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EV's: 252 SpA/252 Spd/6 HP

If you use Hypnosis (which can take care of their fire or psychic that might come in to wall you), go with Fire Blast and Wide Lens, otherwise I think Life Orb is your best item. Bring this baby in and Nasty Plot and sweep with your good coverage. HP Ground is for opposing fires that otherwise wall you and Dark Pulse is for the bulky Psychics and Rotom. You can bring this in on fire attacks aimed at Cacturne.

Drifblim (Annoyer)
    Move #1: WoW
    Move #2: Haze
    Move #3: Destiny Bond/Explosion
    Move #4: Shadow Ball
    Ability: Aftermath
    252 HP, 252 Speed/6 sp. attack
    Looks decent. Haze is meh, though you don't have any other phazer, so I suppose it works. Explosion is better than Destiny Bond I think, but it's up to you.

Ampharos (Scarfspecial sweeper)
    Move #1: Thunderbolt
    Move #2: Focus Blast
    Move #3: Signal Beam
    Move #4: Thunder Wave/HP Ice
    Held Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Static
    EV's: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 6 HP
    T-wave on a scarfer is meh. You can go with HP Ice to hit grounds like Sandslash and Grass/Poisons harder, and take out Altaria better than Tbolt.

Cacturne (Counter/Physical sweeper)
    Move #1: Focus Punch/Brick Break
    Move #2: Sucker Punch
    Move #3: Swords Dance
    Move #4: Seed Bomb
    Held Item: Focus Sash
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: 32HP, 252Atk, 224Spd
    Sucker Punch Cacturne can be deadly, but isn't as threatening without Swords Dance. Get rid of Destiny Bond (he's too slow to use it anyway), and use Swords Dance. Also, screw Counter. It's a one use gimmick, and now that you have Swords Dance, you'll want to use that while they try to OHKO you, then you can Sucker Punch them to oblivion. If you feel something like Clefable or Aggron switching in, you can Focus Punch, or you don't feel comfortable with the prediction, Brick Break is also an option.

Mantine (Special Wall)
    Move #1: Toxic
    Move #2: Sleep Talk
    Move #3: Surf
    Move #4: Rest
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SPDEF, 4 SPATK
    Aqua Ring is pretty much useless, so we'll use Rest for HP recovery and to take over the status absorber role in your team. We need Sleep Talk , so Protect will also go.

Note: This isn't quite the order I'm going to be going with, so don't think Sandslash is necessarily going to lead. Any tips on WHO should lead would be super-duper.
    Yeah Sandslash should not lead, you need him for Rapid Spinning. If you decide to use Ninetales, that's a good lead (just go to Sandslash if you see Persian or Aero). Otherwise, you could lead with Cacturne or Drifblim.

Back