• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMXP or RMVX?

SpiralHorn

Feels like an old fart D:
Years
  • I can't decide on which version to use. I own RMXP, but I would have to buy RMVX, so I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this to see if it's worth it? The biggest question I want to know is, is the scripting more flexible? Can you do more with it?

So can I get some pros and cons of both from people that are familiar with them? Thanks.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Yes, the scripting is more flexible, it's called RGSS2. I've got a friend who's really good at scripting in ruby, and he told me that scripting in VX is easier than in XP. Mapping in VX is totally different, though. You don't have unlimited space like in XP, instead you have 5 tabs of tileset each of which have a space of 512x512. Yes, it is a lot than XP, but you can use different tileset at the same time, each tile has it's own layer. There are some event changes.
    Basically if you've used XP before you're gonna have to get used to VX.

SpiralHorn

Feels like an old fart D:
    Years
  • Hmm, so there's less room for tilesets, but you can still make maps as big as you want, right? I don't really know how I feel about that. I don't mind limitations, but I was thinking of making my tiles a higher resolution, so I'm not sure how that's going to be affected.

But, if the scripting is better, then it might be worth it.

Back