• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roaming Dungeon Monsters

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    SBaby?s Guide to:

ROAMING DUNGEON MONSTERS

Have you ever wanted to have encounters like Lufia II, where you can see the monsters before battle, but didn?t want to use up half of your switches doing so? Well, now you can, with SBaby?s new guide. This guide will show you how to create your own monsters that wander and chase you when you come close. Since I have a terrible attention span, we?ll get right into it.

Since I hate people being vague, I?ll take you through the step-by-step process, using one of the monsters I created:

1: Make one Switch called: Follow. You should have it where you can easily access it; it?ll be used for each dungeon. It can be created in the first encounter if you want to.

2: Make one event with two pages. Don?t worry about what?s on the Pages yet, but Page #2 should have the ?Follow? switch as a precondition. You can do that now if you want.

3: Now we?re ready to do the first page. Everything until the next step pertains to Page 1, so don?t do Page 2 yet.

- Set the Movement Type to Random. We?ll use a speed of 5 (default) for this. It?s easier if you don?t mess with the hero?s speed in the beginning and slow them down (which is what most people do).

- Set the Trigger Condition to ?Parallel Process?.
    - Set the Event Layer to ?Same Layer as Hero?.
    - Put the Animation Type and Movement Frequency on whatever you want.
    - I kept the move frequency on ? normal speed to simulate them wandering around, doing nothing.

The above is going to determine how fast the monster moves when he doesn?t ?see? you. Now, we move on to the commands (fun). Add the following commands; they should look like this:

Key: Set = Set Equal
    - = Subtract
    -4 or more = Greater Than or Equal
    4 Less/Equal = Less Than or Equal

Variable Oper: [0001:Hero X Pos] Set, Hero X Coord.
    Variable Oper: [0002:Hero Y Pos] Set, Hero Y Coord.
    Variable Oper: [0003:Monster X Pos] Set, This Event X Coord.
    Variable Oper: [0004:Monster Y Pos] Set, This Event Y Coord.
    Variable Oper: [0005:X Distance] Set, Var [0001]?s Value
    Variable Oper: [0006:Y Distance] Set, Var [0002]?s Value
    Variable Oper: [0005:X Distance] - , Var [0003]?s Value
    Variable Oper: [0006:Y Distance] - , Var [0004]?s Value
    Branch if Var [0005:X Distance] is -4 or more
    Branch if Var [0005:X Distance] is 4 Less/Equal
    Branch if Var [0006:Y Distance] is -4 or more
    Branch if Var [0006:Y Distance] is 4 Less/Equal
    Switch Operation: [Follow] ON

There you have it. That?s Page 1. That will keep your game from freezing when you do roaming encounters. Now for Page 2.

4: Everything below pertains to Page 2, the final Page.

- Set Switch ?Follow? as ON in the Precondition if you haven?t already.
    - Set the Movement Type as ?Toward Hero?. Keep the speed as 5 for now. You can change that later if you want for faster monsters, but 5 seems to be plenty in my game.
    - Set the Trigger Condition to ?Collision with Hero?. This?ll make it so you enter battle whether or not you talk to the monster. They can hit you and start a battle.
    - The Event Layer should still be ?Same Layer as Hero?.
    - Once again, Animation Type can be whatever you want it to be.
    - I put the Movement frequency on ?Four Times Normal? to give the feeling of being chased.

Now that we?re done with that, let?s get to the Commands we?ll be using for this. I?ll assume that you want to have 5 random groups of monsters for this:

Variable Oper [0007:Random Monster] Set, Rnd [1-5]
    [Branch if Var [0007:Random Monster] is 1
    Enemy Encounter: Normal, Amoeba x3 (Set Escape Handle to End Event Processing)
    Wait 0.1 Sec
    Play Sound: Enemy Die
    Flash Sprite: This Event, 0.5 Sec (Wait)
    Switch Operation: [Follow] OFF
    Erase Event]

For 2-5, repeat the stuff in Parenthesis, changing the if Random Monster to 2, 3, 4, and 5 respectively, and changing the Enemy Encounter to the desired Groups.

There you have it. Use this tutorial and you can create those Lufia II-like Battles where the monsters die and come back when you leave the screen.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Oh!! It can be used for 2000 or 2k3. Also, if you change the speed and movement frequency, you can make them move at different rates.

Back