• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rock Band 2

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
  • If you have or haven't heard, Rock Band 2 was announced recently for this fall. They're still keeping new features on the down-low, but there's an interesting interview on IGN here.

I've gotta say, my favorite part of the interview is this:

"IGN: I don't know if you're aware, but recently an Activision executive revealed that Guitar Hero World Tour is going to be the first game to allow you to play guitar, drums, and vocals. What are your plans to counter this amazing advancement in music games?

Teasdale: Yeah, the clip of the Activision executive making that statement is floating around on the internet. I think the follow-up question he got was priceless: "Isn't that called Rock Band?" We released Rock Band back in November 2007, almost 10 months before GHWT will even make its debut. I think looking at a calendar settles when the "amazing advancement" in music games actually took place."

Anyways, discuss, drool, whatever you want.

I'm kind of irritated though because I just got RB last week. Oh well, at least all I need to get is the game disc. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't have the first Rock Band, but I have played it. A good selection of music, I must say(Nirvana<3), but that guitar...D:< I can't stand that thing. You have to MASH that sucker. I can't play as quickly and effectively as I can on the Guitar Hero 2 guitar(meaning, I don't like the GH3 guitar, either)

But I'll be sure to check this game out...although, I'm hoping...for another guitar. :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    The first was good, but they have got to make it harder. Also, the guitar needs to work out of the box unlike the first, I had to send it back for repair a week after I started playing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I hate the Rock Band guitar. It's flimsy, hard to use, the 'solo' button are just way too small for me, and... I just don't like it. I like the GH 3 controller because it's sturdy and easier to hit star power with.

Before I go on with this discussion, I'd just like to say that yes, I was wrong in the other thread. Guitar Hero did copy Rock Band with the new 'features' by adding the drum set and mic. And the career mode is almost exactly like Rock Band's, as well as the create-a-rocker feature. I'm sorry, I was wrong.

But, now onto this game.

Guitar Hero may have copied Rock Band in a lot of aspects to gain an edge in the competitive market, but look at the IGN coverage of Rock Band 2. Or should I say, Rock Band WORLD TOUR! Yeah, they copied the subtitle from Guitar Hero World Tour, but that's not all!

Let's start easy with the new guitar controller. These new games both have the same style finish (with a few exceptions) and they are basically the same design. I mean, just stare at the two side by side for a few seconds and you'll see it.

Now there's the create-a-song feature. Yup, copied that from Neversoft as well. The guy in the interview (Teasdale) may have said that Guitar Hero developers said that their game was the 'next step in music games', but Rock Band was already 10 months out (err... 10 months earlier debut I should say). But to keep an edge in the market, do they have to copy what Neversoft is doing too?

Hmm... I guess so. Soon we'll have the exact same game from two different developers, with the same songs and instruments at the same price out there on the market. The only difference (IMO) is A.) the DLC for Rock Band and B.) Who you'll be able to play online with.

If someone can tell me which game went into development first (Guitar Hero World Tour or Rock Band World Tour) then I think we'll know who is copying who... and what's going on in this industry. Plus, I'll give you a cookie!!! :D!

Once again, sorry about the other thread. These games are copies of each other, blah, blah, blah.

I don't know about you, but I'm sticking with Guitar Hero.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • Guitar Hero may have copied Rock Band in a lot of aspects to gain an edge in the competitive market, but look at the IGN coverage of Rock Band 2. Or should I say, Rock Band WORLD TOUR! Yeah, they copied the subtitle from Guitar Hero World Tour, but that's not all!

Where did you hear that from? Rock Band 2 has been the only title I've been hearing for it so far. Rather pointless to stick "World Tour" next to it since that was mostly the main objective in the previous "Rock Band" game.

Let's start easy with the new guitar controller. These new games both have the same style finish (with a few exceptions) and they are basically the same design. I mean, just stare at the two side by side for a few seconds and you'll see it.

I can see where you're getting the idea where they both appear to be the same, but it there is much more of a difference than the colors. The buttons on the Rock Band guitar are more "built" into it because the developers wanted players to feel like they are actually pressing down onto the fretboard. The Rock Band 2 buttons are also wood-grain. IMO, Rock Band 2 guitar looks a lot nicer.

Now there's the create-a-song feature. Yup, copied that from Neversoft as well.

Okay, now I am very interesting in your resources. Alex Rigopulos, CEO of Harmonix said that there will not be a "create-a-song" feature in Rock Band 2.

Well, anyway, totally looking forward to it. I've had Rock band for over three months now and it has made it to one of my all-time favorites games. I wish there was more detail though; I guess I'll have to wait until the E3 Convention this month.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I've quoted a few things from an IGN interview with Dan Teasdale.

IGN: GHWT has a studio where you can make your own songs. What do you think about user-created content in music games?

Teasdale: Harmonix believes that user creativity and user-generated content has an important role to play in music games especially since it is a company made of musicians – either in currently touring bands or in the past notable ones -- and we strongly believe in the possibility of giving every-day people the chance to create their own music. In fact we've been pioneering this since our earliest music games like Frequency and Amplitude – I recommend checking out YouTube for some of the crazy remixes people have done with our previous games.

The one thing we've learned from both doing this in previous games and seeing the efforts of homebrew composers at places like ScoreHero is that it takes time to develop tools if you're serious about building a platform for people to express themselves musically. We believe that a feature like this would have to be done in just the right way to hit the broadest demographic possible from professional music composers to the most casual gamer just trying something new so the result is a truly robust feature that educates the player and enhances the total music experience for the user. If we're going to do it, we want to do it right as our goal is to create a fully-realized, fully-integrated way for people to become real musicians and release quality music through Rock Band.

It looks to me like they're implementing the create-a-song feature. The last line especially points it out, but then again the "If" at the beginning of that sentence makes people wary. I personally think that they are going to put it in the game, just to keep up with the competition.

And about the 'Band World Tour' thing, I misread one of the questions. When the guy interviewing started referring to BTW (Band World Tour) I thought he was talking about the game in general, but he actually was talking about the career mode in the game. My Bad =/.

https://ps3.ign.com/articles/885/885269p1.html That's the resource, although I'll admit I jumped the gun a bit. I've read through most of the article, and skimmed through the DLC stuff.

I'm still very unsure about this though. A.) I don't know which game I want to get, Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour. B.) If I do end up getting Rock Band, will I have to sell all of my unnecessary equipment because most of the songs in RB 1 are playable in Rock Band 2? C.) If I don't sell the stuff, where the heck am I gonna store this crap?

Rock Band 2 is set to debut at E3 2008. Expect more details and first impressions the week of July 14.

I'll just be waiting until then to say anymore about these things =/.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • I'm still very unsure about this though. A.) I don't know which game I want to get, Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour.

Ah, okay, well, thanks for clearings up, and I too happen to be juggling between this decision; my buddies and I are really huge fans of Rock Band (I'd be up till five in the morning playing the darn thing at a friends house), but the GH4 drums are so seductive about its sensitivity. I guess I can just get both ... *shrugs*

Also, here's the CNN article I've been reading about Rock Band 2: https://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/06/30/rockband.ap/index.html

"Guitar Hero World Tour" -- the fourth iteration of the franchise that started the music-game trend -- will be released in October and will feature a "Rock Band"-like assemblage of peripheral instruments for the first time, as well as the ability make instrumental music, a feature Rigopulos said won't be found on "Rock Band 2."

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    That quote seems... well, weird.

First off Teasedale (Ign interview) said it would be released in September on the 360 and later in the year for the PS3. Maybe later in the year is October... I don't know. It just seems like they have been filled in with different information, which is kinda weird since they are working on the same project =/.

will be released in October and will feature a "Rock Band"-like assemblage of peripheral instruments for the first time, as well as the ability make instrumental music, a feature Rigopulos said won't be found on "Rock Band 2."

What? This sentence confuses me so... He first starts off by saying 'will feature', as in it will be in the game. Then he starts to list what will be in the game, one of those features being the 'ability to make instrumental music'. Finally he goes on to say that it won't be in the game, just a few words after he said it would.

Well, what is it? Is it in or out?

Also, what side of the project is he working on? (As in which company) He may have different info because he doesn't work at Harmonix like Teasedale does. I think he might work at the MTV game studio (since that's the only other company I remember from the case).

Cheeez

I Like Chocolate Milk!
    Years
  • as long as i can play rockband1s dlc and use my new instruments.. btw EA SUCKS!

Back