• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ruins Of Alph map's mistake

Dr. James

Experimenting
Years
  • Have you noticed that the Ruins of Alph of G/S/C don't match with the rest of the overworld's map? I have some images here that can show you what I'm talking about:

(1) The north gate's color is pink from above, but white from bellow. Also, from above, you can see that the rocks are lined up with the door, but entering the Ruins you see that the rocks are lined up with the roof [this last mistake was corrected in Crystal].

Ruins Of Alph map's mistake

(2) The north entrance position doesn't match with the rest of the map. The east entrance does match, including the mountain seen from Violet City, but the north entrance is in a position that couldn't match even if she wanted.

What do you think? Post other mistakes if you've found them.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • It's probably just an oversight, they tried to make it look realistic. Let's face it, unless you're using the walk through walls cheat it's not even accessible XDD

By chance, this is what happens if you use said cheat to explore the 2nd Ruins of Alph:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • There's also a random pond in the Cinabar island mountain, that you can get to by walking through walls and you can super rod a lvl 255 Celebi there

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • By chance, this is what happens if you use said cheat to explore the 2nd Ruins of Alph:
    Man I'd like to go inside... :D

There's also a random pond in the Cinabar island mountain, that you can get to by walking through walls and you can super rod a lvl 255 Celebi there
    Are ya serious? Is it only i n Gold/Silver or even in Crystal?

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Man I'd like to go inside... :D

Haha, an interesting thought but sadly possible as that part of the map wasn't meant to be accessed through normal gameplay so doesn't have any warps mapped to it.

It's like the pond/trees next to the Pokémon Centre in Cherrygrove. Out of curiosity I used the walk through walls cheat to access it because I wanted to see if Pokémon could be caught there, but neither using the rod on the water or headbutting the trees did anything. It destroyed my childhood memories, as i'd ALWAYS wanted to explore that area as a kid XD

This is the bit i'm talking about btw. If you go too far up the area, the water just expands and loops.

Are ya serious? Is it only i n Gold/Silver or even in Crystal?

He's kidding dude XD It's probably like the pond in Cherrygrove, not meant to be accessed through normal gameplay so it doesn't have any data written to it ^^

Years
  • Are ya serious? Is it only i n Gold/Silver or even in Crystal?

No, he's talking what is generally known as "a load of rubbish."

Nintendo were probably pressed for space when designing the maps for Gold and Silver. With Kanto in the game a lot more space had to be used for maps, so Nintendo were probably more concerned with cramming as much map as possible into a small space than with making everything seamless.

Dr. James

Experimenting
    Years
  • It's like the pond/trees next to the Pokémon Centre in Cherrygrove. Out of curiosity I used the walk through walls cheat to access it because I wanted to see if Pokémon could be caught there, but neither using the rod on the water or headbutting the trees did anything. It destroyed my childhood memories, as i'd ALWAYS wanted to explore that area as a kid XD
    This is the bit i'm talking about btw. If you go too far up the area, the water just expands and loops.

This happens because the border of Cherrygrove is water (the border is areas you can see but can not reach - like the grass left/right in Pallet Town). This is because Cherrygrove has access to the sea, a river, or whatever it is. Above the Pokemon Center, the map ends, so you can see the border - water. However, the programmers noticed this so they included a pond next to the Pokemon Center to "justify" the presence of water there. Not bad at all, but of course not accesible.

Back