• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Sai's Spritework

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    I thought I would create a thread to share some of the spriting I have done. I am only going to post screenshots of them in-game to avoid plagiarism.

Do note though that many of my Pokemon sprites are created from pre-existing artwork and therefore I cannot take full credit. I am a terrible drawer but novice spriter.

Some of my sprites I might be willing to give people if they ask nicely and will be sure to credit, however most I will probably use for my own hack (if I ever get around to doing it...)

I also might take requests if my work gets enough positive attention (I do like constructive criticism though, so please offer me that too).

Large Celebi for titlescreen

Spoiler:

Pokemon Trainer Backsprite (fully animated)

Spoiler:

Tapu-Koko

Spoiler:

Original Professor Introduction Sprite

Spoiler:

Original Overworlds (Hero and Professor)

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Hi there!
    I'm impressed with the Tapu Koko art - it's design gets a bit lost, but it also wasn't made for the size you're working with so I have to say it's the best looking sprite! How long did it take to do? :o Nice work!

For the others, they aren't as impressive as that Tapu Koko sprite. :c You had provided a lot of design information and it was pretty great as a presentation. The trainer back sprite is alright, but the shading needs a more defined light source - the collar of the shirt looks weird because of how it's shaded compared to the shirt and hair. It looks out of place rather than part of the outfit. I'd almost suggest switch the values in the collar? It would have a little bit of light on it, so you'd mostly want the shading color overpowering the lighter color.

For the shirt outlines, I think there needs to be some spots of black. Possibly around areas that would have the most shade and separate outlines? Example, like the arm sleeves (i circled maybe ideas where to add some black outlines)
    Sai's Spritework
    And finally, the Celebi!
    It has weird outlines? And a very tiny neck :C It's also a green sprite over a green background. Part of the body gets lost in the color but also it's not very exciting to look at. I think the background is great! It has awesome detail, you can read the title fine, but the Celebi has similar colors. If it was the shiny palette, it would be a different story! That's because pinks, reds, and purples compliment greens better! They're on the opposite sides of the color wheel:
    Sai's Spritework
    I know purple is opposite of yellow, but purple or magenta work fine with greens. I'd keep it in mind even though your title can be read quickly and its understandable, make sure the sprite and background don't get lost or fight for attention! Also the weird open space in green is kind of. I guess empty? Probably means you can move the text or art around. Anyway, what's the most important part after the text? That will help answer what you'd want people to look at next.
    Overall, nice work!

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    Hi there!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I appreciate all of the feedback, I seem to be getting better as Tapu-Koko was my most recent sprite and Celebi was my first (I know some of the outline is odd, and I always thought the neck was small). I'm not using the Celebi/forest title screen anymore, I went with something much simpler.

Spoiler:

I can't claim credit for the 'Pokemon' or city scape, I only recoloured those and added in the 'Slate Grey' (wow I hated them Es).

I have also added a few more of my recent artwork. I don't know what it is but I don't like the professor much, but his overworld is pretty cool.

EDIT: Here's an updated version of the backsprite. Does this look better?

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back