• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sayumi's Stuff!

Sayumi

Pokemon Maniac
Years
  • I'm not that much of a talented artist, but I try!
    And the fact I have to use a mouse for everything doesn't help.
    I use MSpaint and Gimp. ...And on the rare occasion, hand drawn.

Anyway, here's my work!

Pokemon Related:
    Spoiler:

Random:

Spoiler:

Yup. Enjoy! C:

I'll add more when I do more. xD

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • Hi there!
    First off i'm going to tell you what I like here :')
    I like the expression you gave purrloin a lot, I like the composition of images with multiple characters in, especially the one with the trainer and all the pokemon, that seems reasonably well-thought out. The bottom two images in your random section are possibly your best. The middle one is beautiful and quiet, as well as warm, a pleasant combination. I'd really like to see you work more with this style, it's lovely.
    The bottom image is good becuase of the sense of movement. It's an interesting crop; you can't see much but the viewers brain probably fills the rest in, which makes her intriguing. You've also executed the side profile well in this.

Besides those things, I think your lines can be a bit blocky and thick. It would be worth moving towards a more delicate style of line with variation that's more slender, or even try drawing without lines a few times, to learn the form of things and also improve your shading, which can seem confused in places.

Another little incidental tip, the picture with the feminine zoroark-like character, the hand is one solid block, but slightly spacing out the fingers in that position can make the character appear more delicate and feminine, for future reference. :')

I hope these things help and that we get to see you around here more!

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2011
    I really like these! You're doing quite good for MSpaint and GIMP.

The only critiques I can offer is that you is that you may want to think a little more about how shadows curl around different forms. I actually really like strong, bold lines - but I'm pretty sure you can see that from my avatar, lol. To make bold lines more delicate, try taipering them at the ends: right now your lines end bluntly which may make them look a little clunky. But if you have more variation of line width it makes for a more interesting picture. Look at Mucha's work for some examples.

Ok, I realize that may be a little harsh - let me go back and talk more about the stuff that I like! I agree with Trent: you have a really great sense of movement. You have a great sense of line and detail as well - I especially adore the first picture in the 'random' section, for example. That's one of the reasons I gave you that big old lump of critique up there. I can see that you're taking more and more risks. Be bold! Experiment!! I can't wait to see what you can do! :>

Back