• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scarf's Pixels

mitchell114

Owner of Pokemon Yango version
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    The team rocket girl looks graet but I don´t like your fakemon they don´t look like pokemon but keep up the work.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Heh, looks like you're getting some differing opinions, there. I like the modified grunt... いい ボディ! d:Db

The compass bird's backsprite looks... Well, unfinished, as you said, so I'll hold off until you're satisfied with it. I somehow didn't notice before (maybe the shape of the beak isn't as obvious from the front?), but it's a cardinal, right?

The... buoytle, looks great! As expected of you, while you claim it's rough, the line work is very clean, and the shading is smooth. The two problems I can see are the lowest pixels of the foremost appendage (they look unnatural, just a couple of pixels down there on their own) and the upper-right curve of the shell, which has an unusually long diagonal line. Still, though, it really does look terrific. It will look even better with some designs on the shell, and any other touches you add. Also, its face reminds me of a dugong or manatee. :3

Years
    Keep Up The Good Work Scarf!
    I Especially Like The Fakemon =P
    Thanks for the encouragement. Could I get a little feedback next time?

The team rocket girl looks graet but I don´t like your fakemon they don´t look like pokemon but keep up the work.
    These most recent ones or all of them? I'll be the first to admit that I fall short of the quality of the official sprites, but what exactly makes them look, well, fake?

Heh, looks like you're getting some differing opinions, there. I like the modified grunt... いい ボディ! d:Db

The compass bird's backsprite looks... Well, unfinished, as you said, so I'll hold off until you're satisfied with it. I somehow didn't notice before (maybe the shape of the beak isn't as obvious from the front?), but it's a cardinal, right?

The... buoytle, looks great! As expected of you, while you claim it's rough, the line work is very clean, and the shading is smooth. The two problems I can see are the lowest pixels of the foremost appendage (they look unnatural, just a couple of pixels down there on their own) and the upper-right curve of the shell, which has an unusually long diagonal line. Still, though, it really does look terrific. It will look even better with some designs on the shell, and any other touches you add. Also, its face reminds me of a dugong or manatee. :3
    I was looking at lots of birds for inspiration and I liked the eyes on the cardinal, but I really couldn't say it's anything specific. It was one of those make-it-up-as-I-go-along kind of things. Now that you mention it the beaks do seem a little inconsistent. I'm a bit stumped on what I could do with the backsprite. It screams "empty space" to me. Is it too plain? Too large? I don't know.

I see those two areas you mention and you are probably right. I'm glad you like the line work otherwise. I feel like I've got the hang of that aspect of spriting. As far as what comes next I really have no idea. I'm feeling the creative block as you might guess from the near-month absence of anything new. I guess that means going back and fixing up my old sprites.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I must say, those are some great sprites you have there!
    I might suggest one thing though, (sorry if this might sound rude...) i think you should try to make your fakemon look more like... pokemon then digimon... They still look great though!
    I must also say that, that chartail looks realy cool :)
    Here are the ones i think you need to make more... "pokeish":
    Abysail - Google fresh digimon in google images and you will see what i mean!
    Marchase - It just... i dont know why... it just doesnt look like a pokemon!
    Marimon - Just give it a need name... come on... you even called it a mon!
    Winkap - It looks like somthing off telitubbies...
    Dazetail - I sware ive seen a bigimon that looks just like this...

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    There's nothing wrong with the name Marimon... it's based on marimo, algae balls that lack an English name, and there's precedent for Japanese Pokemon names ending in mon... like Metamon (Ditto). The only thing you said that I agree with is Marchase.

Years
    I must say, those are some great sprites you have there!
    I might suggest one thing though, (sorry if this might sound rude...) i think you should try to make your fakemon look more like... pokemon then digimon... They still look great though!
    I must also say that, that chartail looks realy cool :)
    Here are the ones i think you need to make more... "pokeish":
    Abysail - Google fresh digimon in google images and you will see what i mean!
    Marchase - It just... i dont know why... it just doesnt look like a pokemon!
    Marimon - Just give it a need name... come on... you even called it a mon!
    Winkap - It looks like somthing off telitubbies...
    Dazetail - I sware ive seen a bigimon that looks just like this...
    I've never seen digimon so I can't say much about that, but I am getting the message that my sprites don't look like pokemon. All I can say is that they're the best I can do at the moment. If they don't look 'real' you can just attribute that to my artistic shortcomings.

What Chesu says about Marimon is right on, but I'll admit I didn't think too hard about coming up with that name. I suppose I could have called it Marimoss or Marimold or something else with a familiar word to English speakers.

Milk

ガットミルク
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Wow i really love your region maps C:

kay3o

B)
    Years
    Wow, these are really great. I don't know what to say.
    You really know when and when not to checkerboard.

Checkerboard? ...Really? I don't see any checkerboard sprites or even anything close to a checkerboard;

And yet I'm still baffled on how one would 'checkerboard'

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Scarf's Pixels

kay3o

B)
    Years
    Is that how someone checkerboard?

Oh!!

Scarf didn't checkerboard though :S, So why are you saying he knows how to checkerboard?

Years
    Nein, muss es Marimon sein! >:0
    Okay, okay. I'll save Marimoss and Marimold for evolutions.

Wow i really love your region maps C:
    Thank you.

Is that how someone checkerboard?

Oh!!

Scarf didn't checkerboard though :S, So why are you saying he knows how to checkerboard?
    Checkerboarding = dithering. It's when you make a checkerboard like pattern with two different color pixels to give the illusion of a third color.

Okay, I've been messing with my sprites and have come up with a few alterations, though I'm not sure if I can call them improvements. What is the verdict?

<-- Old --- New -->

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

Smaller and with a new face and some little arms/fins.

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

Changed the colors a bit and in general tried to smooth it out.

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

Slight change to the position, color and shading.

kay3o

B)
    Years
    Checkerboarding = dithering. It's when you make a checkerboard like pattern with two different color pixels to give the illusion of a third color.

Haha no, checkerboarding does NOT = dithering.

This is a checkerboard, you can not 'checkerboard'.
    Scarf's Pixels

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Haha no, checkerboarding does NOT = dithering.

This is a checkerboard, you can not 'checkerboard'.
    Scarf's Pixels

wut lol.

This is by far the most silly post I've seen all week, of course you can checkerboard, try, you know, turning it a bit to the way it's supposed to look. Or just google checkerboard and check the hundreds of examples.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I kind of like the Marchase redesign, but the added armor might make it a little hard to run. I don't know if I like the change to the shading or not. Littoril, on the other hand... the smaller size is good, and I really like the perforation detail or whatever that is at the top, but I'm not sure if I can support the other features. It looks like a Neopet..

Scarf's Pixels

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    You can't 'checkerboard' it's called dithering,

Any half decent spriter knows that.

Any half decent 'spriter' calls themselves a Pixel artist.

Checkerboard is, and this may surprise you here, a term that describes dithering, it's usually used to explain to newer Pixel Artists what dithering looks like. Don't talk to me as if i don't know basic terminology in an art form I've followed as a hobby for 3-4 years now.

kay3o

B)
    Years
    Any half decent 'spriter' calls themselves a Pixel artist.

Checkerboard is, and this may surprise you here, a term that describes dithering, it's usually used to explain to newer Pixel Artists what dithering looks like. Don't talk to me as if i don't know basic terminology in an art form I've followed as a hobby for 3-4 years now.

*facepalm*
    Oh wow 3-4 years? do you want a medal?

It's called dithering, it's what it's called. 'Checkerboard' is not a term to describe dithering, its a board that they use in checkers. It's like saying a ball has been 'squared' because it's got a square patten on it.

Because really, It's just stupid.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    1. You didn't know what you were talking about at the beginning of the discussion.

2. You don't know what you're talking about now.

3. Your post isn't informative or at all on-topic; this is what PMs and VMs are for.

4. You're arguing with and openly belittling this board's moderator for no readily apparent reason.

Ugh, this just kind of deteriorated... Scarf, come get your thread back on topic!

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    *facepalm*
    Oh wow 3-4 years? do you want a medal?

It's called dithering, it's what it's called. 'Checkerboard' is not a term to describe dithering, its a board that they use in checkers. It's like saying a ball has been 'squared' because it's got a square patten on it.

Because really, It's just stupid.

If you're willing to pay for a medal, that'd be super. I'm gonna give you a friendly bit of advice. If people want to refer to a technique as a name they're more familiar with, they have every right to. Dithering to a degree mimics the same patterns that you find on a checkerboard, I dunno if I could make this any simpler to understand. long story short is no one actually cares if you don't think it should be referred to as dithering and never anything else; I know you think your posts are making you seem oh so clever and in the know, but all you're doing is making yourself look arrogant and silly. You've being here, what a week? And your first few posts in this section have already derailed a thread. I think it's time you stop making a fool of yourself, don't you? This isn't Pixelation or Pixeljoint or whatever, this is a small section on a pokemon forum, half the members here don't even do their work from scratch, why did you expect them to use correct terminology?

Back