• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~ School ~ Needed or Not? ~

School, Needed or Not

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    The man who holds the highest IQ in the world was self-taught because he didn't believe in school.

Anyway despite that, I do feel school is needed. Maybe not for all, but for alot of people.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I find school very easy, and yes I believe it's needed, because if it didn't exist, we might as well have lived in the dinosaur age or whatever. If it wasn't for school, we wouldn't be on PC anyways. If you ask me, those who think school is a waste of time need to realize what they're actually saying.
    Why would PC depend on school?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    Ok, without education, we wouldn't be intellegent enough to even create a forum let alone a computer. We'd all be living in caves or dumpy houses made of grass or something. Knowledge is probably the most important thing in our lives nowadays. Without we won't have a good job, and won't do good in the real world.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Ok, without education, we wouldn't be intellegent enough to even create a forum let alone a computer. We'd all be living in caves or dumpy houses made of grass or something. Knowledge is probably the most important thing in our lives nowadays. Without we won't have a good job, and won't do good in the real world.
    I suppose that makes some sense.

But I do see a fair amount of posters that should spend more time on their educations. Fo'shizzle.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    @Pipluper: So you're saying humans would stay dumb and incompetent without school? How do you think teachers gained the knowledge to teach? It all didn't come to them one day, they learned over time.

.Aero

Years
    But I do see a fair amount of posters that should spend more time on their educations. Fo'shizzle.

Do you mean by the way they type? XD Also we wouldn't know how to read or write.

@TD And how did they learn? By going to teaching school. Duh......

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    If you find school a waste, then you're one of those dudes that thinks the perfect life is living homeless in the streets asking for empty bottles to sell for profit.

Just my two cents.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Do you mean by the way they type? XD Also we wouldn't know how to read or write.

@TD And how did they learn? By going to teaching school. Duh......
    What a great reply... You don't get it. How do you think those who are at "teaching school" learned it? You are making it seem like a big book that tells everyone everything fell from the sky and told all teachers what to teach and how to do it. As nice as that'd be it didn't happen. How do you think the original people who got all of this knowledge in the beginning learned it? Please don't reply with teaching school, either.

.Aero

Years
    What a great reply... You don't get it. How do you think those who are at "teaching school" learned it? You are making it seem like a big book that tells everyone everything fell from the sky and told all teachers what to teach and how to do it. As nice as that'd be it didn't happen. How do you think the original people who got all of this knowledge in the beginning learned it? Please don't reply with teaching school, either.

Wakachamo took the words right out of my mouth. Well keyboard. XD

I understand what you're saying now. I know a book didn't fall out of the sky. I'm speaking this day in age. If none of us knew anything, do you think we could develop at all? In my opinion I don't think so. Also, do you think school is unimportant?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011

Are you trying to get some sort of 'what came first the chicken or the egg' scenario? Of course teachers learned from schools. And so on and so on. They will continue to do this in the future as well.
    Your so called 'original people' made discoveries of their own accord (Darwin, Newton etc) and schools taught it too the public.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I think school is completely important, and I'd hate to see the world without it. I'm just saying I don't think world intelligence would be so bad without school.

Are you trying to get some sort of 'what came first the chicken or the egg' scenario? Of course teachers learned from schools. And so on and so on. They will continue to do this in the future as well.
    Your so called 'original people' made discoveries of their own accord (Darwin, Newton etc) and schools taught it too the public.
    Exactly! Without trying you proved my point with that last sentence.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    @Pipluper: So you're saying humans would stay dumb and incompetent without school? How do you think teachers gained the knowledge to teach? It all didn't come to them one day, they learned over time.
    "School" has been an evolving concept. Obviously humans did not have schools to begin with, and we're not even sure when they started. Except of course, a long long time ago, because know that even the ancient Greeks had schools and Professors and such.

So no, there was not a book that fell from the sky. But people realized that it was easier to pass down knowledge in a streamlined and thought out way, then for everyone to stumble in the dark on their own. School was an amazing invention.

The standardized schooling today is an even greater asset to us. That means that schools have regulations to follow and EVERYONE must come out with the same BASICs. That way you can communicate with people from a sort of 'base knowledge' and have a very good edge from which to jump off of into the world.

So don't try to be a smartass and base the fact that there was no big book of wisdom in the beginning to mean that we shouldn't have school. And YES, modern teachers do go to school for teaching. So in laymen's terms (like yours) it would be a 'Teaching School'. Obviously this wasn't always available, and I already discussed that.

.Aero

Years
    I'm speaking now, not original people. I really don't care who discovered that stuff. If we didn't have education now, we wouldn't mantain that knowledge, and only those people would know that stuff. If we had to discover on our own, what we could learn in just few days of school, do you think our society would be as advanced as it it today?

EDIT: Just read Phrase's post and that's pretty much what I'm saying too.

EDIT2: I have to leave now, but I'll be back to further my arguement. XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    "School" has been an evolving concept. Obviously humans did not have schools to begin with, and we're not even sure when they started. Except of course, a long long time ago, because know that even the ancient Greeks had schools and Professors and such.

So no, there was not a book that fell from the sky. But people realized that it was easier to pass down knowledge in a streamlined and thought out way, then for everyone to stumble in the dark on their own. School was an amazing invention.

The standardized schooling today is an even greater asset to us. That means that schools have regulations to follow and EVERYONE must come out with the same BASICs. That way you can communicate with people from a sort of 'base knowledge' and have a very good edge from which to jump off of into the world.

So don't try to be a smartass and base the fact that there was no big book of wisdom in the beginning to mean that we shouldn't have school. And YES, modern teachers do go to school for teaching. So in laymen's terms (like yours) it would be a 'Teaching School'. Obviously this wasn't always available, and I already discussed that.
    ...and where did I say school wasn't an asset? You people are getting me all wrong. As I've said twice, I fully support schooling. What I am saying is that we would not be a complete bunch of idiots as Pipluper made it seem in his post saying we might as well be back in dinosaur age, or something.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
    TD - I'm not jumping down your throat and I don't think most people are, either. Just having a lively discussion.

Very well put, Phrase. That was a really nice explanation.

Original ideas were discovered usually by curiousity/accident/building on what people already knew. Then they taught what they learnt to others, who in turn taught others.

As more and more people shared what they knew, schools and educational systems/set-ups were established and further devolped. (And in some ways undeveloped, but I digress.) Schools are still a WIP now. For example, some of the work in my high school Algebra II class wasn't even taught in most colleges when my dad or grandparents went to school.

So, yeah. Things will always keep changing, so even after school, you'll have to keep learning to survive. : D

I'm basically just restating what others have said, so I'll lurk for a while, now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Very well put, Phrase. That was a really nice explanation.

Original ideas were discovered usually by curiousity/accident/building on what people already knew. Then they taught what they learnt to others, who in turn taught others.
    Exactly what I am saying. All of the things we know now were not just made up with someday, we found these things out which is proving that humans wouldn't be so dumb without school.

Edit:
    TD - I'm not jumping down your throat and I don't think most people are, either. Just having a lively discussion.
    It's fine with me, I'd just rather people not put words into my own mouth.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I'd love to say "NO! >O" but I can't. The reality is, if there wasn't school, things would change. LOTS of things.

Without school, we'd be as dumb as a rake. I'd be dumber ;o;

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    t_d said:
    It's fine with me, I'd just rather people put words into my own mouth.

Well, fine by me. Whatever you want.

I think we all ganged up on the piplups. lulz.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    If I didn't have school, I wouldn't have met my awesome friends, and be dumb as a pack of nails. So I'm in favor of school. It will carve out our entire future.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Exactly! Without trying you proved my point with that last sentence.

Actually no I didn't. I stated the blindling obvious. ¬_¬

I'm not sure what you are implying now, since you contradicted yourself. In your first posts you strongly suggest that schools are unnecessary and education via discovery is the way forward, however now you say they are an important asset. Which they are.

Scientific heroes have all come from a well educated background. Watson and Crick didn't discover DNA by chance if they weren't interested in biology from school and took to university. Jenner wouldn't have discovered vaccinations if he wasn't a scientist. So these 'chance discoveries' are built upon inspirations of an educated background.
    And school is a starting block which we have. A good example is the rise of medical advances in Europe in the late 19th Centrury, where there were an increased number of doctors and scientist due to education. As a result life expectancy would double following the next 100 years.

If school was never around, then actually yes, I do feel that the people of society would be 'dumber' since they lose out in key inspirations, vital information, social skills and lessons of life.
    Without teaching in schools, taught discoveries that shape the world today, such as evolution, would be lost in uncared about documents, (until someone would be to rediscover it perhaps?)

Back