• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting, Mapping, or Spriting?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I prefer mapping, because I can do whatever I want. I'd also do some basic spriting if I could find something to edit the graphics with, currently I can only edit the OW sprites. I specifically want a graphics editor for FR/LG

It's a magical tool called unLZ.gba. You can find it in HackMew's tools.

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Me likey the spriting...
    I started it a while back...
    On youtube...
    I was awesome...and still am!

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    For me, mapping is the worlds easiet ROM Hacking skill, and the most vital. Even though proper scripts and graphics and spriting and junk is cool and all, if the map isn't correctly layed out, it would ruin everything.

I go from small changes to a map that's been created to creating my very own map. I would create every map in a blank ROM and leave everything else to the others who know alot about scripting and junk. But mapping is my only main skill in ROM Hacking, and truely the only thing I'm good at, mostly because there aren't any codes for putting a tile on a map. :D

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    I usually map a little while I make all the scripts for it

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Scripting is my absolute best aspect, though I'm a pretty good mapper in my own right. Well, I think so at least. Judging from how fast I can map naturally.
    I just love hard-coding things. That would explain why I like CSS so much as well. :P

johnnylovely

Hacker since '03
    Years
    Ummmm my best feature is mapping.....to be honest i really dont know why i guess i just enjoy the feeling you get when you look at something that other ppl can see and know you made that all on your own its just plain beauty and idk i guess i live pokemon to map not to script not to insert tiles but to map its my favorite and most developed skill....

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2009
    mine is definitely Mapping.... i come from SMWcentral(a Super Mario World hacking site) where i had custom blocks for my levels and stuff like that.... I also used to play a game called Graal(Zelda Online originally) were you can make your own house and i learned mapping from that game :)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    all three are equal I have been spriting the longest and it takes me about a day for each sprite so I would say it is the most time consuming

For mapping I have gotten a little tiered of mapping it became to easy

Scripting by far is my favorite I am always learning new things to incorporate into my scripts just yesterday I made a 150 lined script for an event.

M4CK_M4YN3

Felix_The_Cat
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    Mapping
    i think mapping is easier for me becuase of the abundent mount of map editing resources

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Mapping is my best... actually my only skill... I'm trying to learn scripting, but that's just plain impossible... so I'm stuck with this.

Back