• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

sealed tournament help

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Can anyone give me tips on a sealed tournament in my local area? I'm going to randomly get one of the expedition starter decks (electric garden/echo) and 6 booster packs of legendary collections, and am trying to figure out how to build my deck as we speak. Please help mje if you have anything to say (and please dont ban me if this is in the wrong place)

STARSCREAM

New Decepticon Order
    Years
  • Since your deck is your precon is going to be grass/electric you should probably try to continue ussing those types and since legendary packs are the easiest packs to use in sealed since they come with evolutionary lines set up it should not be that difficult. You probably will also want to evaluate the trainers in the deck and the packs and determine which ones you should use. If you can't find enough grass/electric types in the packs and you need to run more Pokemon, use either good colorless types or use Pokemon that only have 1 non-colorless energy type in there attack since it will be fairly to throw in a 3rd color provided you don't have too many of that 3rd type or you have an even amount of all 3 types, especially if you have cards that search for energies.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    I'm either going to get electric garden OR echo which is psychic/colorless. thanks for the tips if i get electric garden though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 24, 2005
    Check what you get, and build from there. Don't play with more than 2-3 types, and try to put in as many Trainers as possible. I like a balance of 17 energy and fill in the rest with Pokes and Trainers (depending on how much card drawing you can get).

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    The more type,the more energies,the more you won't get what you want XD.

My advice,never go over 3 types,you should not even have that many,the best way to have three types though is the third being colorless.

Once you have 20 energies in your deck,stop anything over that is way to much.

25 pokemon cards are good,not to much and not to little.This way you'll always have a bench.

and then the rest can be trainers,you can chose to have more PKMN,or energies if you would like,but trainers are also important.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 24, 2005
    I believe that the order of importance of a good deck is: Pokemon, Trainers, Energy. This is the order in which you should build your deck, not necessarily the order in which your numbers should be. I like to have a good 20-20-20 balance in Modified, but tend to go more towards 15-15-30 in Unlimited, with its focus on basics and disruption. Also, the deck that you are trying to build will tend to dictate how many of what should be included in a particular deck. For Modified-legal decks, 2 types is the maximum that you can use and hope to win (with the exception of the TATM decks, which are unique in that they have an entire set made to support several lines of Pokemon)

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    Balacing is possible the most common way.

The way i gave has won me mutiple tourneys and events.

Whichever way that Blastoise Master 8 decides to build is fine with me,i gave my input,and helped,so im happy.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Thanks for the help guys, I was just worried because this is my first sealed event, and the winner gets a box of LC. Are there any cards in the set in particular i should auto draft if i get them?

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    There is no box with the initials LC,I even checked,even though i knew there wasn't.

STARSCREAM

New Decepticon Order
    Years
  • Blastoise Master 8 said:
    Thanks for the help guys, I was just worried because this is my first sealed event, and the winner gets a box of LC. Are there any cards in the set in particular i should auto draft if i get them?
    When drafting Legendary you should probably try to get the Dark Dragonair and Dratini since Dark Dragonair's Evolutionary Light can really hurt your opponent especailly since in draft and sealed there aren't many cards in those sets that search your deck for evolutions.

And by the way AdamHays LC stands for Legendary Collection.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Yeah, plus i just enjoy the Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite Family, and searching your deck would be good to thin out my deck........do you think that psyduck from rocket would be any good? I've heard in sealed it is because of dizziness letting you draw a card.......

2 days to go to the tourny.................

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    Yes,the Dragonites,would be a good idea,and thaks,i forgot about LC oops XD.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Alright, just 1 day to go, and i think i'm ready. i got the set list for legendary collections and the theme decks, and have noticed LC really supports the cards out of echo.........

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    Hwy were you so interested in the LC series?there are plenty others to pick from XD.but,still a good pick.Hey,if you don't reply to this,let me know how your tourney goes.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Just 4 hours to go to the tourny. I like LC because that came out when I originally quit pokemon, and it brings back good memories...... i would have rather had something newer like SS or TATM though.

Blastoise Master 8

The n00b Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2006
    Alright. Just 1 hour to go and the tourny will start. Thanks for the help guys and i'll be back probably later right after the tourny if it doesn't run late with a little tourney report. (Sorry for the double post, but i just wanted to give an update.) Bye!

Years
  • i have always wanted to go to a sealed tournament but there are none in my area...
    what are they like? is it true that you can only build your deck out of cards you get in the boosters when you get there? that would sound like an awesome challenge! ... ^_^

Back