• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

September Spriting Contest - Discussion Thread

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 1, 2024
    ionem sprites are pixel art, how many times does any person have to say that on this site, ADH and DP said it ADH even has a topic on the subject and it is stickied, i do my pixel-arts pixel by pixel with a reference, mine look good anyway, i use the fill tool only

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    *stays out of that argument*

Anyways.. I entered my sprite in... Power Rangers count as superheroes right?? I mean.. they save the world.. >_>

gothsinn23

PC's Biggest Terra Fan. ^^
    Years
    Hehe, I guess they do count. xD

But, I dunno, I mean, to a spriter like me, I see making huge images using the curved line tool and stuff as not fair to those of us who actually draw the ting, zoomed in 8x, with the pencil tool, going pixel by pixel. I mean, isn't that the essence of spritework?
    Mine may be a form of pixel art (though, pixel art is a form of spriting), but I never used the curved line tool at all. I zoomed in and made random shapes just to plot out the image, and then perfected it from there. The only things I used were a heracross sprite (as reference), the eyedropper thingy, and the pencil tool.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Daviku said:
    How could ANY ONE not know of Final Fatantasy!
    Well, I got the instruction book for FF7 here. I can skan some of the cast if you need it.
    Any limit to the poses? (Everyone knows I'm doing FE style. Gotta beat The great Mattaias)
    you moron, it's Mathias, anyways this contest is a waste of time to me, so I'm not entering, I'll gladlysmash you on PT though

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    gothsinn23 said:
    Really? Sweet! Super-cross is glad to hear it. xD

I love Super-Cross too. Hehehe, I have a parody for it...

Faster than a speeding Ninjask
    More powerful than Dragonite
    And able to leap tall buildings while fighting off a Charizard..

It's...SUPER-CROSS! *dun dun dun dun dun DUUUN*

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Ionem said:
    I just think that a spriting contest should be limited to sprites...

(and don't give me bull**** about sprites can be any size. Yeah, they can, but things like that aren't sprites.)

Really, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to deny the awesomeness of that. Especially now that I see that the picture was only ued for reference. I like it a lot and I respect your work. I'm not a totally bad guy. ;)

But, I dunno, I mean, to a spriter like me, I see making huge images using the curved line tool and stuff as not fair to those of us who actually draw the ting, zoomed in 8x, with the pencil tool, going pixel by pixel. I mean, isn't that the essence of spritework?

I've noticed that lots of you people here deny that pixel art and spriting can be different. You're both wrong and right. Spriting is a form of pixel art, and as such, pixel art can often be seen as spriting. But really, actual spriting is getting into the nitty-gritty and not using any sorts of "tools".

Meh, whatever. I'm probably just in a grumpy mood. :\
    I salute you, what he says is true, spriting is a form of pixelart, pixelart ISN'T a form of spriting, there for they are differant

Dragon Lover

Oooh, words under my name.
    Years
    armadilloHD said:
    ...cough you can check it too. Sorry but I don't think that's the limit ;>> (It's bigger then a gba screen if your slow)

I just wanted to shut him up about that "Limit"

The entries are looking good, not as tense as the last one though ;>>
    I agree. Yeah I'm argueing too =P

Sprites can be any size they want. Sprites are a form of Pixel Art as Pixel art creates them. A few people prefer smaller sprites some prefer larger.

Yeah thats my $00.01 in it =P

I personally like my smaller sprite better than my Pixel Art, mostly 'cause I'm a fan of smaller sprites =P

~DL~

DarkPegasus

~ Stargazer ~
    Years
    Nice going armadilloHD you gave me a link to a forbbiden page? Fine and then this is a sprite:
    September Spriting Contest - Discussion Thread

(made by shuko)

Back