• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Business [PG-14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Introduction
    Hello, and welcome to my new RP - Serious Business! Yes, the title is a reference to the meme; read on and you'll understand why. This will essentially be your normal quest through the region of Kanto, but there will be some key differences.​

Serious Business [PG-14]

Background
    The Pokeball. In the universe of Pokemon, it is a common, everyday device, but no time is really given to considering how it works and what the possibilities are. As you may or may not know, the humble Pokeball performs the monumental task of transforming a living, breathing creature into data in mere seconds. A sentient animal becomes nothing more than a list of ones and zeros. But what would happen, say, if you decided to fiddle with the code? Take out a little there, improvise some here. What is the resulting effect on the creature? What sort of monster can you create?​

Of course, it was almost inevitable that people would begin to experiment with the code sooner or later - human imagination is near limitless. To begin with, it was an underground phenomenon - an idea solely pursued by the sort of people who were already hacking into websites and companies. Hacking into creatures was a small step. Many mistakes were made at the start - programmers were careless and made tiny errors that could cause a complete collapse in the working of the body. As time passed, people became more cautious when attempting to hack into their Pokeballs, checking and double checking every inch of code before saving the data. Before long, people stopped making their geodude green and decided to make real improvements. A Scyther could be given blades harder than diamond. The cannons of a Blastoise could appear on the shell of a Squirtle. Underground fighting arenas appeared, staging fights between the enhanced Pokemon and their technically minded trainers. At first, the police tried to break them up, but were forced to a halt - there was no law to prevent such an act. The idea had never even been conceived of before. Politicians who tried to create such laws quickly fell out of favor with the people, who were beginning to accept almost any kind of modification as normal. Eventually, it was decided - the only way a law could be passed would be if it could definitively proven that hacked Pokemon were no better than regular ones. If this were true, then the risks could not be justified.​

And this is where you come in. The Indigo League starts in precisely one year and you, as a new trainer, plan on being there. More is at stake than fame or glory, however - whether or not the winner's Pokemon have been modified will be the key decision in the passing of this law. Whichever side you are on, you are fighting for more than just yourself. Of course, it won't be as simple as just waltzing up in a year's time - to gain entry you need the Gym Badge of the eight Kanto Gym Leaders. Be careful though - some may have subscribed to the newest trend and if you're going the natural road you'll have a tough fight against them.​

Good luck! You're going to need it!​

Rules

- Sorry, but no legendaries will be allowed in this RP

- I'm pretty tight when it comes to grammar and such, so please be careful and use a spellcheck if you're not confident​

- This is a very important rule and one that may be difficult for the hackers to keep to: be careful about your character becoming a Mary Sue. If there's one thing I hate, its a character that is unstoppable and unbeatable on every level. No. Just no.

- No bunnying without permission. If you want to allow someone else to bunny your character for a while because you're going on holiday or whatever, please let me know so I don't just think they're being a douche.

- Stay Active! It's a very important part of an RPG, if you are going to be unable to post for a while, PM me, so I know why you aren't posting and won't kick you out. Similarly, please don't even bother joining if you're not even going to bother making a second post. You have no idea how annoying it is to go to the effort of setting up an RP, only to have it fail because of sheer laziness.

- If you are trying to catch a Pokemon, go with the standard rule of ending the post with the ball shaking on the ground. That way, I decide whether or not its caught and its level depending on the quality of your post.

- Read and follow the forum rules and keep it PG-14

- Everyone note I will be strict on shiny posts. If I think the post isn't good enough then the pokemon will break out and flee. If the post is nearly good enough, I might give you a second chance at the shiny, but if the second post is short then once again it will flee. Obviously the 'stronger' or 'rarer' a pokemon is the harder the shiny will be to catch. i.e. a shiny Rattata is difficult to catch, but a shiny Scyther will be damn near impossible. Also it will be an absolute maximum of 1 shiny per Rper, this is not negotiable.

- There are six spots available - three people on each side.

- Some final rules which applies only to those of you playing as one of the hackers. Obviously, you will be playing as a teenager and therefore will (probably) not have huge skill at coding. Therefore, keep your changes minor and remember - you need a computer to hack so you can only do it in towns etc. If you are unsure of whether a modification counts as minor, don't be afraid to PM me and ask. Don't worry however if you want to have a Bulbasaur that knows Flamethrower - you will be running into your fellow hackers on the road, some of whom will be significantly more skilled than you. These people might be willing to help you out and give you the indestructible Magikarp that you've always wanted.

Sign-up Form

Yes, we're nearing the end. It's nice and basic, so get going :D

Name: First and Second.

Appearance: What does your character look like? Height, build, hair, clothes; there's plenty to say. 1 Paragraph minimum (paragraph here meaning four full lines).

Personality: How do they act in certain situations? How do they feel towards the idea of hacking? 2 Paragraphs minimum.

History: Give your character a backstory. 2 Paragraphs minimum.

Allegiance: Simple - are you a Hacker or are you Natural?

Roleplay Sample: Just to give me an idea of how you roleplay. 3 paragraphs minimum

Starter Choice: See below.

Available Starters

Paras
    Serious Business [PG-14]
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Level: 5
    Moves: Scratch

Wingull
    Serious Business [PG-14]
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Keen Eye
    Moves: Water Gun, Growl

Slugma
    Serious Business [PG-14]
    Nature: Quirky
    Ability: Flame Body
    Moves: Smog, Yawn

There will also be 1 Wild Card available and 2 Pokemon chosen randomly. What this means is that if you choose 'Random' then I will simply point blindly at a picture of every Pokemon and give you the least evolved form. You could end up with a Dratini or a Magikarp. However, I'll be nice and let you choose the nature and gender if you choose a Wild Card or to go Random.

Well, I think that's finally it...start signing up!​

List of RPers

Spot 1 is Taken by Dutchesse - Snorunt (Wildcard)​

Spot 2 is Taken by ~Prodigy~ - Mime Jr. (Random)​

Spot 3 is Taken by Valentine - Togepi (Random)​

Spot 4 is Taken by TimelessParadox - Wingull​

Spot 5 is Taken by Cirrus - Paras​

Spot 6 is Taken by Haldariad56 - Slugma

Progress

Chapter 1 - Pallet Town (3 out of 6)​

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    This sounds interesting.

I'd like to reserve a spot. I'd like to be a hacker. And, I'd like you to choose a random Pokemon for me. :D

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Ok, I'll do your random check now. You get...Cyndaquil!
    You lucky so-and-so ;)

Ugh. One of my least favourite Pokemon. I don't want to be a nuisance by asking for something else, but... ugh.
    Maybe I could choose Wildcard instead? At least that way I know I'm not going to get something I don't like. Would that be ok?

~Prodigy~

Dark Lord
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2009
    Name: Adam Locke

Appearance: Adam has dark brown hair that is usually quite a mess. His eyes are a beautiful shade of ice blue which turn to brown as they near the pupil. He has many freckles dotting his nose and around his nose. His skin is a shade of ivory that would lead you to believe he was ill, but this is perfectly natural. He is thin, but not excessively so, and he is not neccesarily muscly, but not flimsy either. Adam is a moderate height for his age, but the way he stands makes him look quite a bit taller. His teeth are a healthy off-white, and his lips are quite a pale shade compared to other people. His nose is quite small, and he has very little facial hair. He has long, elegant fingers. His legs are quite long, and he is a capable runner.

He wears a grey shirt with a skull inscripted on the left breast pocket. He has a black jacket with no particular markings on it, and he has a pair of sunglasses he will wear during the rare times it is sunny or too hot. He has a pair of leather gloves which are custom-made for his hands, they fit him perfectly. He wears a pair of black jeans with a red spot on the right pocket, othr than this, they are quite unmarked. His shoes are black and red, and really quite shiny, considering Adam's travelling. during colder weather, Adam will wear a pair of burgundy gloves and a matching scarf. On sunny days, he wears a pair of red rimmed Sunglasses. He has the habit of wearing very little on his head. He has an amulet which he received as a present for his 12th birthday in the shape of a shiny, black fist.​

Personality:
    Cruel, cunning, devious, deceitful, charming, all of these words have been used to describe Adam. He is very intelligent and makes an excellent student, due to his studious and determined nature. However, he will go to any end to further his own ambition, and he is incredibly untrustworthy. Adam seems to be, at first glance, just a cruel and vindictive tyrant, but he's so much more. He truly cares for his Pokemon, and will not hear a word against them, he has absolute faith in them. He uses his charm to great effect, and can use it to get virtually anything he wants. He is, as said before, devious, and he's an excellent thief, a dark gift he wields happily. If you could truly get to know him, he's quite a nice person, but he just doesn't trust anyone after a tragic incident.​

Despite his personality, Adam is against hacking altogether. He believes that Pokemon are good enough as they are, and is willing to use any means to stop those who disagree with them, as with anything. He is capable of really badly hurting people while expending minimal effort. He is quite arrogant, and takes out his duties with a quiet confidence. He is quite malevolent, and some people without a strong will may find themselves afraid of just being near him, as he seems to radiate an aura of fear.​

History:
    Adam lived and grew up in Cerulean city. He was very studious about Pokemon, and he often spent long stretches of time alone in his room, just studying. He was known to have a fondness for swimming and the Pokemon in the nearby lakes. Although his mother was a good friend of Misty's, Adam's only interaction with her was watching the gym battles to learn strategies for battling. Adam often went down to the lake to relax and unwind, and he cared for the Pokemon who no-one else would. He always hated his brothers, and still won't forgive them for a tragic incident.​

While he was really quite ill with a variant of influenza, Adam's brothers tricked him into coming outside using the old 'someone wants to see you' trick. He stumbled down the stairs and tripped, breaking his leg, putting him out of action for 6 months. During this time, Koga, one of Adam's heroes, visited and battled Misty. Adam was unable to go due to said injury, and he still hasn't forgiven his brothers, even though it was really mostly his fault. This is the main reason he is so untrusting of other people, especially strangers. In fact, the only people who he trusted were his teachers.​

Adam's kinder side shone through when he was 11. He found an abandoned and ill Mime Jr. and took it in to care for it. The pair became inseperable, and they went everywhere together. He nursed it back to health over a period of 2 months, buying Potions and PokeFood with his own money, and slowly the Mime Jr. grew back to health. At first, he wanted it to return to the wild, but after seeing it's reluctance to leave, Adam adopted the Mime Jr. and named it Aquarius, after his starsign. He is very protective of Aquarius, and treats it like a son.​

Allegiance: Natural all the way.

Roleplay Sample:
    'Ow! Let go of it! Aquarius, Water Gun!' At Adam's command, the little Mud fish Pokemon lept up onto a desk and squirted a jet of water at the Growlithe chewing on Adam's book "Water Pokemon; the definitive guide, by Juan of Sootopolis, vol. 1". The little puppy Pokemon let go and whined as he fled with his tail between his legs. Adam heard his brothers laughing and clenched his jaw. He was sick of them ruining all of his books. 'Boys, no Pokemon battles in the house!' came from downstairs. Adam rolled his eyes and opened his door. 'Yes mum, sorry mum.' Adam sighed and sat down on his bed, and Aquarius jumped up beside him. Adam smiled and he stroked Aquarius' body. It was cool, and very moist. Adam lay back and began to think how to get his own back. He had a brilliant idea and grinned wickedly.

Adam crept into the room silently. He looked around for it- on the bookcase, 2nd shelf, he saw it. A potion for use on Spencer's Growlithe when he returned. He grinned and looked to Aquarius. 'Ok, Aquarius, let's move.' He took the potion and darted out of the room moments before a rhythmic thumping was heard. 'WHAT!? WHERE'S MY POTION!? ROBERT!!' He heard his brother, Spencer, scream. Robert poked his head round the door to see his furious brother hurtling down the stairs towards him. Robert screamed and ran. 'What's going on?' Adam's father burst out of the garage, followed by his Arcanine. spencer jumped at Robert and the two landed in a heap. 'He stole my potion... Give it back!' While this was happening, and while Adam's dad was pulling the two and their Pokemon apart, Adam snuck back into Spencer's room and replaced the potion.

'Spencer, how dare you frame your brother for stelaing that potion! He would never do such a thing!' Adam was in his room, holding his hand over his mouth in a futile attempt to stilfe his laughter. It had worked perfectly, with a little extra spice in the fact that Robert had been using the potion on his Growlithe. It was all Adam needed to get his brothers in trouble. 'Fine then. You're both going to wait until next week.''What!? No Dad! That's not fair!' Adam suddenly stopped laughing and started listening. 'You said tomorrow! You said we could leave tomorrow!' Adam's father sighed, and looked at Spencer. 'Look, your mother still thinks it's totally unfair, so be quiet.' Adam glared through the wall, as if he was boring a drill into his dad's head. He burst out of his room and ran downstairs. 'Mum, now that I'm thirteen can I go on my Pokemon journey?' His mum stopped and looked thoughtful for a moment. 'Well, if you can convince your father that you should go at the same time as your brothers, then I've got no quarrel with it.' Adam grinned. 'Thanks mum!'

Starter Choice: Mime Jr.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Okay, seriously, I can't resist joining an RP called "Serious Business." One that involves computer hacking. That's just awesome on so many levels.

However, I don't quite have time to start an app today, but would you mind if I reserve a spot and gun for the last remaining random Pokémon? I'll try to get something written by Sunday. To make things even more tempting, I don't even care what you give me. I'm thinking of going for a character who hacks his/her Pokémon to digital bits anyway.

Years
    HOLYCRAPITSJAX

Er...I mean, sure, I'll reserve you. You get...Togepi! Lucky ;) What gender/nature do you want?

Prodigy - Er, well, I'm a little wary at the moment, to be honest. It's a close thing, but the multicoloured eyes and getting his starter from Misty are more than a little Sue-ish. On top of that, you say he has a bad temper...but he can control it, so that's not a chracter flaw. he's good at stealing...but he never uses this ability, so that's not a character flaw. His only downsides seem to be impatience and shyness. It's a close-run thing, though, so for now you're Pending. Fix it up a little and you're good to go. However, the idea of a random starter is that it's, welll, random. You get...Mime Jr! Gender and Nature?

Well now I'm annoyed D: I wanted at least one of the random people to get a Pidgey or something.

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
    Lemme put up a reservation with pretty much anything I can get my hands on, I'm dying to see one of your RPs work out man! AS I HACKER TOO... ME THINKS :D I'll take slugma or wingulll meh.....

Last edited:

Dragax67

A Rookie Trainer raring to Go!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 14, 2015
    It says on the first post please PM to reserve a position so you can be confirmed a place. i read it and have PM'ed

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    Ever since road to the indigo Plateau closed i have been looking for a kanto RPG to start up again :)

Of course leave it to me to look at this page last night, then in the last 12 hours or so, all the wildcards and randoms are taken :\, not to mention i woulda loved cyndaquil!

I guess I could sign up, I just don't like any of the other starters...
    (How long does A pending go for before a person runs out of time? Just out of curiosity?)

Name: Ian M. O'Connor "Nathaniel"

Personality:
    Ian is a very agressive person when it comes to, well pretty much anything. He is always confident in himself, almost to a point of pride, but his confidence has paid out in much of his life. Although he may be independent in many things, such as pokemon battles, he loves to make new friends. Friendship is a very important thing in Ian's life, he wouldn't know where he would be without the experiences from his childhood friends. Once he has made a friend, he will tend to joke around alot. He is very funny and a joking about almost anything, however he is also capable of being serious. He will often challenge his friends to almost anything new he attempts, and loves competition. His confidence often helps him win battles, but when he loses he is crushed. He will need to learn more from losing in a pokemon battle before he is able to accept losses more easily. Until then he will remain a trainer that is strong and confident, as will his pokemon. Ian hates and fears spiders and spider pokemon are by far the worst for him. So he has a hard time dealing with bug pokemon. His favourite elements are lightning and ice, and he loves both those types of Pokemon. He gets cold very easily, preferring warm weather. But when it comes to a challenge he will brave anything to win.

Appearance:
    Serious Business [PG-14]

Ian is a very good looking eighteen year old boy. His hair is somewhere in between a perfect blonde hair and bright golden hair. The former is reached when it is perfectly dry, and the latter is reached when he has very wet hair. He never wears a hat, but constantly keeps it spiked up on the top about two inches up from front to back, kind of like a Caesar, spiked hair, or sometimes a phaux hawk. His bright, light blue eyes match up perfectly with his hair. He has a normal straight curved nose with a small mouth, and oval shaped ears. He is somewhat skinny, but this is due mostly to his body type. In the last few years he has been working out and building quite a bit of muscle on his chest and arms. He is almost never caught without some pair of blue jeans out in the wild. He has several alone in his backpack ranging from light blue to dark blue, and all shades in each. He also likes to wear T-shirts (black, white, brown, blue), and sometimes with a light, dark blue jacket with orange and white stripes running through the upper chest area/shoulders. Other times with a cyan farmers shirt jacket, black shirt jacket or a slightly furry beige shirt jacket. When the cold/rainy weather roles around, he wears a dark blue thick hooded sweater or his favourite dark brown leather jacket. Ian always wears grey airwalk skateboarding shoes, with black and white stripes running along it. He carries a grey backpack and a black laptop case around with him, both of which have pokeball holders.

History:
    Ian was born and raised in Celadon City. His mother was names Susanne, she was a nurse at the local hospital, and his father was a chiropractor and also did chiropractic for pokemon sometimes as well. His parent's beliefs and morals made him into the proud and confident young man he is today. He has always spent his life around pokemon, while in school or in Celedon. He also has seen a few encounters in the wild with his father, although he never really got into pokemon.

While he we starting grade school he really started to experience pokemon. Many students and friends of his had pokemon and he had none, prefering to stick to his studies and his work. But he couldn't help but feel left out sometimes. Brady had an evee, Thomas had a growlithe, and kyle had a pidgey. All there parents had boughten their children a pokemon, but Ian never asked his parents for any. His parents taught him that paying for everything you want was an important thing in life, and since he had little money and so many things to buy he decided not to buy any.

One day he came home from school and decided he had had enough of all the kids and their pokemon. He pulled out a magazine to look at all the different pokemon in the world. He scrolled down and his eye was caught by one pokemon in particular, Raichu. He decided that if he ever got a pokemon, it would be that one. But until he could get the money for it and still pay for school, he would have to wait.

At the closing of grade 11, his father got a machop to help with his chiropractic career, and taught him how to do chiropratic. He was oftena round the house when his dad was home and as a result Ian got more and more pokemon thrown in his life. He was starting to get annoyed but when he hung out with machop or did anything with it such as house work he had a really good time and started to enjoy it. When he asked his parents if he could take it to school they said "no" because they needed him for work.

One night Ian was having a dream about pokemon and woke up from it knowing he had to get one. He found an extra job working for a paper money during the very, very early mornings. He was always tired for school and his grades started to drop, but he knew it would be worth it for a pokemon.

When Ian finally finished High School, he had passed with a decent grade. He had enough money to last him a few months so he decided to take a few years off and travel. When he heard of Professor Oak handing out pokemon for beginner trainers in Pallet Town, he told his parents. He showed them the money he had made to keep him afloat and that he really wanted a pokemon. So he packed up his things and bought a train ticket to pallet town, and he never looked back.

Alliegence: Natural

RPG Sample: Check Spoiler (From the "Road to the Indigo Plateau")

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Starer Choice: I guess Paras, but I have always been a fan of the original starters

Dragax67

A Rookie Trainer raring to Go!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 14, 2015
    TimelessParadox and Cirrus both have their reservations :D TimelessParadox has taken the last Hacker spot, so is it okay to be playing naturally, Cirrus?

Dragax67, I have no idea where on earth you got that impression.
    Its being unfocused, sorry... Will i be able to get a place though, or am I too late??

Years
    Haldariad - Nice Sign Up! There were one or two spelling errors, but overall it was impressive and you are Accepted! Bad news though - Paras has been reserved already. You have your pick of Slugma and Wingull.

Good question though - Everyone who is Pending or Reserved has until midnight on Monday (GMT) to have their Sign Up completed

Its being unfocused, sorry... Will i be able to get a place though, or am I too late??

I'm afraid all the spots have already been filled. Better luck next time!

Last edited:

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
    Could I please reserve a random? I'll try to get my sign up by the end of the day =]

Aah I see there's no spot left but a pending one. Would I be given the chance then?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    Slugma I guess than.

I really wish there was another random spot or something :D, If the pending person for a random is late, do let me know.

Cheers

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back