• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Shinies?

Years
  • Well, it's a different colour and it sparkles. ;)

Shinies are completely random. The odds of any given wild poke being shiny are 1 in 8192.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
  • Well, it's a different colour and it sparkles. ;)

Shinies are completely random. The odds of any given wild poke being shiny are 1 in 8192.
    Alright. Well I have my first shiny, opposed from the red Gyardos from Silver/Gold/Emerald. Which I didnt catch, i got this shiny in a trade but it still is mine! =P

ihaveaquestion

idonthaveaquestion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    i got my first yesterday... shining torchic!!!... so ill have a shiny blaziken... and trade it 2 diamond and pearl..

Elusive

]]~~~[[
    Years
  • I had wild shiny Geodude and shiny Zubat outside the shiny Gyarados in G/S/C. Otherwise, I get them all from trades.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    i found my first shiny the other day in D/P. it was a goldbat =P i think one of my friends is gonna trade a shiny mightyena one of these days.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Just wondering, if a legendary is shiny. Will it have a shiny overworld sprite? Cause I'm resetting until I get a shiny UXie and I hope I'm not wasting my time going into battle everytime.

Years
  • Nope I dont think its Overworld Sprite does change. However I think Legendarys are set at start of the game, im not to sure someone back me up on this?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    Actually u can tell when a shiny is coming when u use ur pokeradar. Instead of the grass shaking, it does a sparkle.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    No the only pre-determined shiny legendary's are the ones that run around the map, aka Cressilia and Mesprit, so yeah everytime you soft reset infront of a stationary legendary you have a 1 in 8192 chance of it becoming a shiny.

Years
  • I haven't found a single shiny pokemon in the wild. But I'm currently hunting for a Shiny Shinx in Route 202 with the Pokéradar and it will be my first shiny after a chain of 31 Shinxes in a row.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Actually I don't think that's correct, I've seen lots of sparkles on my pokeradar, but whenvever I go to them they're not shiny.

There needs to be a certain sparkle though, a yellow one is not a shiny, but a bright whitey blue one is a shiny, and usually occurs after a 45+ chain, Here is a pokeradar tutorial for people hunting for shineys.

THIS IS NOT MY WORK, This tutorial belongs to Shuko, who is a member of Serebiiforums, I did PM him for permission to show this.

There is a lot of dispute going around as to whether or not this method works. I believe it does, because most people who get a high enough chain and catch a shiny are able to keep the chain going, and catch more shinies within only a few minutes of each other. For that reason, I think it deserves its own topic.

The first thing you need to know is that this entire method relies on what's known as "chaining" Pokemon. Chaining is where you use the Pokeradar to run into the same species of Pokemon over and over. Although casual users of the Pokeradar might think that this all happens (and stops happening) by sheer coincidence, this is actually inaccurate. You have control over when you break the chain. In fact, you can take steps to ensure that the chain doesn't break for a LONG time, which can eventually lead to your finding a shiny version of the Pokemon you're chaining.

So let's break it down. First, what you'll need:
    1. A high-level Pokemon with a lot of strong moves with plenty of PP.
    2. Pokeballs with which to catch the shiny.
    3. A pokemon that will be able to whittle the Pokemon's health down for catching.
    4. A LOT of max repels. I'd suggest fighting the rich trainers near the Pokemon mansion and get lots of money to buy repels. You're going to need them.
    5. The Pokeradar.
    6. PP-restoring items. If your Pokemon's moves run out, you don't want it using struggle, now do you? And you can't exactly go to the Pokemon centre. I find that stealing leppa berries from Clefairy and Mimes are very effective. They only restore 10pp of a move, but they're cheap and easy.

So Now you have all your materials. Go to Sandgem town and ask Lucas/Dawn's sister what Pokemon are swarming that day. Although it's true that you can go for any Pokemon with this method, you'll find that swarming Pokemon are tons easier to go for. You'll run a much smaller risk of breaking your chain with them. After you find out where the swarm is, go there and use a max repel. Then, use the Pokeradar. Go to a wiggling patch of grass, and if you run into the swarm Pokemon, either faint it or catch it, and the chain will begin. For every patch of grass you go to, it must follow these rules:

1. There has to be exactly FOUR patches of grass wiggling. If there isn't, the chance of breaking your chain is high.
    2. The grass you go to HAS to wiggle the same way as the first patch you run into.
    3. Never move the screen so that one or more of the wiggly grasses falls off the screen.
    4. ONLY walk into the patch that's farthest away from you, and if it's at least 4 patches of grass away.
    5. If you have to use another repel, do so, but don't walk into the grass this time. Reset the Pokeradar and try again.
    6. Don't walk into the grass if it's in one of the corners of the grassy area.
    7. Avoid the grass if there's another wiggly one right next to it.
    8. If any of the above proves false, reset the radar and try for another set of wiggling grass.
    9. If you see a patch of grass that shines dramatically and I mean REALLY dramatically, and seems to have a different coloured tinge to it, that's a shiny patch. Proceed there with caution. If you're worried about whether or not you'll know if it's shiny, don't be. If you aren't certain, it isn't shiny. When you see it, you'll KNOW. (You can also view this video to see what it'll look like).

Resetting the Radar:
    Simply run through the unwiggled grass (taking care not to move any of them off the screen) until your radar is charged again. Then use the radar again.

1. Swarming pokemon are MUCH easier.
    2. Never move the screen so that one of the wiggly grasses falls off the screen.
    3. ONLY walk into grass that looks like the first patch you went into (in other words, try to get the patches of grass that don't shine initially. That'll make it easier).
    4. ONLY walk into grass if there are four patches wiggling.
    5. ONLY walk into the patch that's farthest away from you, and if it's at least 4 patches of grass away.
    6. If you have to use another repel, don't walk into the grass this time. Reset the Pokeradar and try again.
    7. Don't walk into the grass if it's in one of the corners of the grassy area.
    8. Avoid the grass if there's another wiggly one right next to it.
    9. Never enter the grass directly behind your character. There will be many times when you'll think there's nothing there, when in fact it will have wiggled and you didn't notice it. Also, never rely on it to have wiggled. If you suspect that it did (but aren't sure), just reset the radar. Again, NEVER walk into the patch of grass directly behind your character when you use the radar.

If any of the above conditions fail, reset your radar and try again.

Resetting the radar:
    Simply run through the unwiggled grass (taking care not to move any of them off the screen) until your radar is charged again. Then use the radar again.

Additional warnings:
    10. Do not run away.
    11. Do not use your bike.

Tips:
    1. It's good to have a Pokemon that knows super fang or false swipe with you. If you don't use your masterball for the shiny, you'll want to whittle its health down, and these moves work really well. Keep in mind that if your shiny is a ghost type, you'll need the help of odor sleuth or another "identifying" move to make it hit.
    2. Make sure you have enough Pokeballs.
    3. If you're hunting an electric Pokemon, it's a good idea to have a Pokemon with the Static ability at the front of your party. That makes electric types more common.
    4. If you want your Pokemon to have a particular nature, a Pokemon with that nature and the synchronize ability will be a big help.
    5. If you want to keep track of how many pokemon you've made in your chain, there's a handy Poketch app (#20) for it.
    6. It helps to register the Pokeradar.
    7. At some point you may want to stop chaining the Pokemon and start hunting the shiny based on grass shine. Most people advise that you start at or after you get 40 in a chain. Really, you can start anytime, but your chances get better the higher your chain is. Keep in mind that it could still take a nice long time even if you have a high chain. Be patient, and be careful!
    8. You can take a break in the middle if you want. Real time doesn't play a factor here. If you do, I'd suggest doing it in the middle of a battle. That's the least likely time for you to forget where you are, because you don't have to mess with the grass until afterwards.

Last edited:
    Back