• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Charmander

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2017
    Hi there. I don't normally go online but I'm at my wit's end here.

I've always loved Charmander and it's evolutionary line, and most Pokemon that resemble dragons or reptiles. I've never ever had a shiny Pokemon, besides the one yellow Rattata that I once caught in Fire Red. In most play-throughs I would have a Charizard, but I'm not particularly fond of the washed out orange in the newer graphics.

I thought I would go for something different this time and would try and fulfill one of my gaming dreams - to have a black Charizard. I've been using the Masuda Method to breed a shiny Charmander with the egg moves Dragon Pulse, Outrage, and Crunch. I'm using a male French Hydreigon and an Australian English female Charmander. I've hatched almost two thousand eggs and nothing! I'm not breeding for competition, just for the Pokemon story. Can anyone help me out or provide tips? Am I doing something wrong?

I just want a shiny male Charmander with Brave, Hardy, or Serious nature with my egg moves, and is OT to my game's trainer but nothing's coming good with all my time and effort. I must be the most unluckiest person to play Pokemon!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I'm not really sure what you're asking for with your thread, but hopefully this will help you out.

If you are intertested in setting up a trade in hopes to acquire a shiny Charmander from one of our many trusted traders, I might suggest you try heading over to the Trade Corner. We have a very supportive community over there, and I'm sure someone will be more than happy to help you fulfill your shiny Charmander dream!

However if you are just trying to acquire one under your own efforts and are hoping for some advice or encouragement, all I can say is, keep it up! You will find one eventually, you just have to hope that RNG is on your side. I can say I have bred many many boxes full of pokemon before finally acquiring a shiny pokemon. I spent about a month and a half of continuous breeding before I got my shiny Wurmple that I was actively looking for, but then to contrast that, about a week ago I was breeding some Cleffa's in order to hatch a male for the purpose of breeding egg moves over to another pokemon, literally the second Cleffa egg I hatched was a shiny. RNG is random like that, you just have to know that if you put in the effort and dedicate, you will find that shiny you want eventually. So if you choose to breed for your shiny Charmander, I wish you the best of luck, but if it's too much work or time for you, by all means head over to the Trade Corner, I'm sure somebody will be more than happy to help you out.

Happy Hunting! :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2017
    Thanks for the advice! I wish I had a bit more luck on my side, as I've never really had any shiny in all my time of playing Pokemon. Thought it would be nice that it could happen. But after all this time and the many eggs I have produced and hatched, I'm beginning to become discouraged. I'll have a look at the Trader Corner.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Do you have the Shiny Charm? It's pretty easy to acquire in this Generation and it multiplies your shiny chance by 3. It also stacks with the Masuda Method.
    My advice is to keep trying; 2000 eggs is around the normal odds of Masuda Method iirc, you just have been unlucky. Also, make sure to check your hatched Charmander in the box to look for the red star, because the Charmander's Shiny colouration is easy to miss when you're not paying much attention ^-^;
    Good luck!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Thanks for the advice! I wish I had a bit more luck on my side, as I've never really had any shiny in all my time of playing Pokemon. Thought it would be nice that it could happen. But after all this time and the many eggs I have produced and hatched, I'm beginning to become discouraged. I'll have a look at the Trader Corner.

No problem! By all means check out the Trade Corner, there are a lot of traders who will be willing to help you out.

If you do end up continuing your search, make sure your odds of finding a shiny pokemon are in your favor, as Soapy mentioned, you might want to try getting your hands on that Shiny Charm if you don't have it already. It's not that hard to acquire in the seventh generation thanks to the GTS.

Also, a few things that I do that really helps keep me in a good mood for finding shiny pokemon and not feel discouraged.

1. Everything you hatch, Wondertrade. Wondertrading is fun and relaxing, keeps your boxes clean, and sometimes gives you rare pokemon. Wondertrading makes the extra Charmanders feel like they're valuable rather than a burdened reminder of what you are doing. Also if you do not have your Alola Pokedex already filled out, this will significantly make your pokedex hunt easier and get you closer to that shiny charm quickly.
    (I personally then release all the pokemon from Wondertrade that I don't plan on keeping.)

2. Every once in a while, remind yourself that no matter how low the chances are of hatching a shiny pokemon, it does and will happen. Just think positively, it helps a lot.

3. If it's stressing you out, put the game down. When shiny hunting feels like a burden, stop for a few hours or a day. During my major shiny hunts I have definitely taken breaks when it feels annoying, but I do come back when I'm relaxed because it's a game and games are supposed to be fun and relaxing.

4. If you don't already, maybe have TV or music playing in the background while shiny hunting. When breeding is at its most boring moments just pay more attention to what's on in the background for a while. Makes shiny hunting feel much less monotonous.

Once again whether you choose to trade for a shiny Charmander in the Trade Corner or if you choose to continue the hunt, I wish you luck in acquiring your shiny Charmander!

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2017
    Thanks! I don't have a Shiny Charm unfortunately, and I'm a long way off completing the Pokédex. I'm still slogging away, hatching Charmander, but I'll admit it's becoming incredibly frustrating when you hear that some people have hatched them at under 500. It sucks being unlucky!

Back