• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Shortage?

Will there be a stock shortage?

• Total voters
    Years
    For those who don't have the ability to preorder/reserve, do you you think that the HG/SS will sell out quickly at most Gamestops and that there will be a stock shortage or that it'll be fine?

I'd like to think that Nintendo knows it'll sell like Pearl and Diamond did and that they'd prepare for it but you never know?

I live in a somewhat small town and I overheard the cashier in the gamestop saying that Sunday would be "ridiculous" but I don't know if that just meant it would be busy as hell or it would be people storming in to get that last copy.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
    For those who don't have the ability to preorder/reserve, do you you think that the HG/SS will sell out quickly at most Gamestops and that there will be a stock shortage or that it'll be fine?

I'd like to think that Nintendo knows it'll sell like Pearl and Diamond did and that they'd prepare for it but you never know?

I live in a somewhat small town and I overheard the cashier in the gamestop saying that Sunday would be "ridiculous" but I don't know if that just meant it would be busy as hell or it would be people storming in to get that last copy.
    Eh, I have like.. 3 Gamestops, And a Gamecrazy, within 20minutes or where I live, so I doubt there ALL going to be out lol by the time I get there.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I went to gamestop this pass sunday to get my jirachi, and there was a long, and I mean longggg line of kids 13 and under pre-ordering HG/SS. So yes I think that there will be a shortage on sunday. And to make things worse that sunday happens to be the start of spring break. I might as well head over to walmart instead of gamestop and get the games.

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
    There are about 7 stores I know that will supply HG/SS in my area, and there aren't many Pokemon fans in my community, so I think I'm good. =D

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Ehm well, the other day when I went to Gamestop with my cousin so that he could pre-order his copies, there was a MASSIVE LINE! It was insane, all these kids and teens pre-ordering HG and SS, I couldn't believe it! The cashier looked so tired! XD I kinda feel bad for him, I mean, all you could hear was kids talking about how they couldn't wait! XP It was crazy in there, I am NOT looking forward to waiting in another line like that on Sunday =/ But I don't really think that there would be a shortage... Right? I mean... Nintendo should of prepared themselves... I think... Maybe...

Years
    it matters really on how many people in your town are actually buying it,cuz for me all i know right now is only like maybe 2 or 3 other kids besides me are getting it but i think only one other besides me preordered it and everyone else isnt getting it on sunday

Captain Gordon

Defender of Earth
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    Not many people go to any of the GameStops near me, and I reserved mine so it's gonna be fine for me, at least. I hope there's no line though. Lines are so annoying, especially when there's that one person who stands there for 20 minutes yelling at the cashier going " WHADDAYA MEAN THERE ARE NONE LEFT?! WHADDAYA MEAN THOSE ARE FOR PEOPLE WHO RESERVED!? "

pokefangunner

PokeGleek
    Years
    why are you worrying about it getting sold out if it gets sold out that means theyll hold an exclusive game 4 u anyway if super mario galaxy didnt sell out at gamestop i dont think these will if tehy do it doesent matter cause like 30 more stores :)

Years
    yeah its a somewhat small town with a couple gamestops near eachother and a target next to the one i'm going to. i don't know of many at the high school who are getting it though. i'm sure there'll be little kids with their parents filling up in the store though.

another thing is that when i looked at the HG/SS dispaly boxes today, it said "3/18" on a paper tag stapled to the box. Anyone know if that is for reservations? if it is i may have a good chance of getting it 3/14.

Captain Gordon

Defender of Earth
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    That might be for reservations, but I think if it's reserved it has a name on it not a number. I've also seen numbers tagged on like that, but I'm not so sure what their for.

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    I am worried too, nick99.

Hey, there's also a Target right next to MY GameStop. XD What state do you live in?

I doubt it'll get sold anywhere, really. With there being Walmarts, Targets, BestBuys, GameStops, GameCrazys, etc., all not so far from each other, it really splits up the people.

I have that Target, Gamestop and Walmart all really close to each other. So, I'm thinking it won't! Don't worry about it, most people that really want the game reserve it ahead of time, so the stores will order a lot more than the reserved ones (which should be 90% of the people who get the game on Sunday)

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    I think it might sell out to where there are only a few copies left at the Gamestop down the street from my house. Cause I know of some kids at my school who actually play Pokemon and some kids I hang out with(they're like...11 XD) who will probably get it.

I don't know how many Poke-fanatics live in North Carolina...

Now that I think of it...it probably won't. Because it's a strip of stores so it's Gamestop&Target and down the road is WalMart.

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    ^Well, those are only some kids. Nintendo makes sure to ship a lot of copies.

Years
    thats reassuring. i really am not sure what to expect cause i didn't buy pearl til it was out for 6 months and i bought platinum easily a few days after its release. My friends said getting diamond/pearl on opening day was tough.
    btw i live in pennsylvania

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    My GameStop has about 20 copies of each game behind the desk, and they said even more under the desk. They also said they ordered extra copies, because if someone reserves a game they order another one, so they will always have enough for those who don't like reserving games.

Man, I like those guys who work there.

Anyway if GameStop runs out I can go to Wal-Mart. Which always has a lot of copies to. If THEY are sold out, I think Reasors sells video games too.

IF THEY ARE SOLD OUT, I will go to the multiple GameStops and Wal-Marts in the town next to mine. (Only a 30 minute drive. :3)

EDIT:
    thats reassuring. i really am not sure what to expect cause i didn't buy pearl til it was out for 6 months and i bought platinum easily a few days after its release. My friends said getting diamond/pearl on opening day was tough.
    btw i live in pennsylvania

Really? Me and my two friends spent the night together, and then we woke up early, and headed to GameStop to buy Diamond or Pearl. We got there, and my friends were so worried, because we got there about 10 minutes after the store open, and we got copies. No lines, plenty of copies, and the guy said, "Have fun with the new games guys. I wish I could be playing them instead of working. Hehe."

Last edited:
    Years
    yeah my friend actually got the last copy at the store. the 45 year-old man in line behind him was not happy with that! lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    It's possible that a few stores in my area will sell out, but I'm sure that at least a couple of places will have the games. I got D/P at release without a preorder with few problems, although I did get up early to check online to see what stores had the games. Given that Pokemon tends to sell a lot of copies (even if it isn't as popular as it used to be), I think that most stores will have ordered more than enough copies, as they really don't want to miss out on any opportunity to make money. Also, since HG/SS are remakes, and Pokemon is a tried-and-true formula, the games will almost undoubtedly not be duds, so it's safe for stores to order extra copies (as they'll certainly be able to sell them after release if they don't sell them at release).

If you haven't preordered, though, I would still suggest that you get to a local game store relatively early. It'll probably help that daylight savings starts on Sunday, so people may sleep in later than they normally would by an hour (and thus, you could beat the crowd more easily, if there is a crowd).

Back