• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Should I go with...?

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I wanted to build a good team for the E4 on Sapphire and I've narrowed my Dragon choices down to Flygon or Salamence. I was considering Flygon because I've never used one and I can get a Trapinch right now, or a Salamence because I also have never used one but I can't get a Bagon for a while. *I am on my way to Jagged Pass.

My Current Team is:
    Marshtomp L: 28
    Swellow L: 25
    Shroomish L: 22
    Aron L: 20
    (Spheal in the future)
    (Flygon/Salamence)

Which one should I go with?

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I have both of those on my sapphire version, and both are good. Flygon has high attack and defence, but is part ground so water attacks would do normal damage.
    And salamence has extremely high special and normal attack compared to its other stats, but its like any other dragon pokemon. Its a tough choice, both are strong. But since you can get a trapinch first, go for that.

Dave-o-rama

If you are a false don't entry
    Years
  • Go with flygon. He's ground type AND he has levitiate. Its probably just me though, but flygon can learn lots of good moves like crunch and flamethrower.

Go with flygon. He's ground type AND he has levitiate. Its probably just me though, but flygon can learn lots of good moves like crunch and flamethrower.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2010
    You got a part ground poke, and Salamence is bit stronger than Flygon. Altrough you can't get any for some time, I say go with Salamence, it can learn nice attacks as well and is pretty deadly. The fact you can't get Bagon until you beat last gym, if I'm right is disturbing trough.

Unless you play on vbalink, in that case I can give you Bagon right now, I caught like 20 of these when I tried to get dragon scale.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Eh, its on a cartridge.

I am not really trusting emulators that much anymore.... I think I accidently dl'd a bad sapphire ROM online and as a result, got Spyware :/.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Want best speed? Go with Flygon.

Want best attack? Go with Salamence
    But I'm warning you, both will fail on Glacia's team if used incorrectly.

poisonspark

Come and claim yours!
    Years
  • I agree that Flygon is really good but I would take Salamence. I have had many times both of them and everytime Flygon has been weaker tha Salamence. Flygon has got two weaknesses: water and ice but mainly Salamence has got only one and that is ice. That´s my opinion but you get to choose wich one you pick. :D

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Bagon's really rare. I sometimes get annoyed when some dumb old Solrock appears. Trapinch is somewhat common along with Sandshrew.

Back