• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I quit making my rom hack?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
  • I wasn't expecting so many replies lol! Rom hacking and gaming are really just hobbies for me, so I usually work on my rom hack for a couple hours a week (same thing for gaming). I'm actually hoping to major in computer science so learning ASM could help me. Thank you for your input!
    It's a really good hobby to have if you're going to study computer science. Good luck!

Years
  • I wasn't expecting so many replies lol! Rom hacking and gaming are really just hobbies for me, so I usually work on my rom hack for a couple hours a week (same thing for gaming). I'm actually hoping to major in computer science so learning ASM could help me. Thank you for your input!

I'm working on a game project myself (not a ROM hack though), and I also just contribute a few hours a week, on top of working full time and going to the gym. Sometimes when I get home I just want to relax and play games instead of coding, and that's fine - life is basically a very large time-budgeting activity. There's only so much, so if you like doing something, spend more time on it. If you're not feeling it that day, spend less time on it.

I work on my project because it's fun, and I get stuck sometimes and have to take a break from it for a while. But if it ever stops being interesting or fun to me, you can be sure I'll drop it for something that is. Good luck with CS if you decide to go that route, I also majored in CS :)

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
    Years
  • the thing about romhacking in the first place is that you can't be a neurotypical that functions correctly in the society to make successful contributions/a decent hack project

romhacking is also unforgivable, it requires huge amount of work if you want the game to be more than a potential dark rising competitor for most broken and absurd hack
    even if you gather enough determination to do a project, you'll be in for a ride that isn't in fact that enjoyable as it seems, the deeper you go in, the chance that you'll be flooded by bugs is rising
    and a single bug can take up to 3 days to fix in worst cases

if you want proof, here's something that might help you understand
    https://i.imgur.com/YgHd0ui.png
    a true neurotypical wouldn't take so much effort to make a joke that would be noticed by 4-5 people at most

romhacking carves a hole inside you
    you either embrace it and let it become an abyss or you quit

it's all gonna change when pokeruby fully compiles tho

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2016
    Don't stop making the hack. There's no need to delete it etc - just take your time and don't rush it. Focus on other priorites and whenever you have time come back to it! You'll see it'll be worth all the time and effort in the end my man! I'm currently making one too whilst uploading videos on youtube! It's hard work but fun to do!
    If you ever need some help i'm always here to lend a hand and get cracking on with your hack rom.Hit me up if need be!

Youtube - Joshkeeno

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    I'm currently working on a rom hack, but I'm also a community college/high school student. I find it hard to balance making a rom hack, gaming, school, work, and sports. I feel like I won't be able to complete my rom hack because of my responsibilities. I also tend to get frustrated when I encounter a roadblock in the making of my hack. What do you think?

Its the last think you should focus on.
    Work on it only when u have free time and when you feel like it.
    Dont give promises to ppl about the project, let them know the truth.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I wouldn't stop, just work on it when you have time! The best ROM hacks can take over a decade, so you're not pressed for time or anything.

PankajBlitz

Taiyoh!
    Years
  • Hey bro I can understand your problem. I too am a student and its my 10 class don't know about other countries but for us 10 is considered extremely important and I still hack. Just remember mate "Time Management". If you have exams stop hacking for some time. School is important far than any other.

Back