• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Should I restart my Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Four of my friends are restarting their third-generation games. I have hundreds of hours of play time in Emerald and a large accumulation of Pokemon and rare items. I also have several Secret Bases - two coming from friends who no longer play Pokemon - and extensive battling records. My Battle Frontier point count is over 200, and they took a lot of time.

Perhaps it's because of all this stuff that I am considering restarting the game. It's been years since I've voluntarily deleted my save file on a game to start a new file, and I'm wondering if I place too much value in possessions and trivial data.

I'm wondering if you think it's a good idea for me to restart my Emerald to go on a new adventure together with my friends. If I do, I will find a way to get my Game Boy Advance cable back from my other friend and trade my best Pokemon and items over to LeafGreen. Should I do it?

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I remember when I came across that point in my playing of the games. And honestly, I'd say go for it dude. You'd be surprised what kind of new awesome teams you can make, and what fun battles you could have. The concept I like best about newgaming is raising Pokemon you've never raised before.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    Sure. I mean, I know how hard it must be for you to restart, seeing as it took me forever to restart FireRed and I hadn't even played it, it was my friends and he had a ton of rare Pokemon/Items on it. xD

Charmander_004

I love Pokémon and Charmander
    Years
    Four of my friends are restarting their third-generation games. I have hundreds of hours of play time in Emerald and a large accumulation of Pokemon and rare items. I also have several Secret Bases - two coming from friends who no longer play Pokemon - and extensive battling records. My Battle Frontier point count is over 200, and they took a lot of time.

Perhaps it's because of all this stuff that I am considering restarting the game. It's been years since I've voluntarily deleted my save file on a game to start a new file, and I'm wondering if I place too much value in possessions and trivial data.

I'm wondering if you think it's a good idea for me to restart my Emerald to go on a new adventure together with my friends. If I do, I will find a way to get my Game Boy Advance cable back from my other friend and trade my best Pokemon and items over to LeafGreen. Should I do it?

Wow, wait a sec man there is no way you can just delete a team that you have raised for such a long time, first find a way to transfer the team then reset it. If I'd lose one of my teams i would go mad, its not like losing a hiscore for a shooting game or progress on an adventure game and it has happend to me recently, beleive me. Why dont transfer that team to a new game like diamond or platinum using a ds dual slot function (if you have those games completed of course), or transfer them to another third gen game like you say if you have another, you can also buy another emerald cartridge from ebay im sure there might be a good used one there. Unless you dont have a well raised team (like 40 lvl and above) I wouldnt let them go just like that, after all you raised them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    If you want to then go for it but I would think of resetting a Pokemon main game when I maxxed out my trainer card (meaning having all the stars and last color on it) but I would never restart my main Pokemon game.

:t354:TG

Years
    Wow, wait a sec man there is no way you can just delete a team that you have raised for such a long time, first find a way to transfer the team then reset it. If I'd lose one of my teams i would go mad, its not like losing a hiscore for a shooting game or progress on an adventure game and it has happend to me recently, beleive me. Why dont transfer that team to a new game like diamond or platinum using a ds dual slot function (if you have those games completed of course), or transfer them to another third gen game like you say if you have another, you can also buy another emerald cartridge from ebay im sure there might be a good used one there. Unless you dont have a well raised team (like 40 lvl and above) I wouldnt let them go just like that, after all you raised them.

That's what I said. I'm going to get my link cable back and trade all my good Pokemon to LeafGreen. Yes, they are good, haha, at least ten of them are level 100.

If you're wondering, the reason I don't just transfer them to my Pearl or SoulSilver is that then there is no way to get them back to third-gen. Sometimes my friends want me to make them a clone of a Rayquaza, Deoxys, Mew, Celebi, etc. and I am happy to trade them one. I won't be able to do that for a while, because there is no way to clone in LeafGreen, but once I get far enough in Emerald I can trade them back.

I could close this poll now, but since I'm still making up my mind I'd like to hear from a few more people if possible. I also like keeping it open to allow posters to hear one another's opinions.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    I'd say go for it I guess. I couldn't see myself ever playing on a gameboy again though. Cartridges aren't too trustworthy either.

I only just got back into Pokemon after 10 years, but the games bore me when playing alone. I tried playing Emerald and 30 minutes into it I was going crazy from boredom.

Then a friend came over and we started talking about Pokemon and where the franchise was going.
    Then we downloaded the roms to FRLG and started playing. (We own the real games, mind you.. even though I never actually played them.)
    So we had the games open on screen right next to each other. Well, one was on the top half of the screen and one on the bottom.
    We started playing through the game together. When you can see just what the other person is doing, talk to them, and go through the game with each other it's just so much more fun. I felt like a kid again and was hooked.

Plus we can go to the trade center anytime and it works without a problem.

So if you're restarting to play with friends, then go for it. It certainly put the fun back in Pokemon for me..
    Though it wouldn't be the same if we were playing on gameboys.
    It's much more fun with a big screen and being able to see what the other is doing at any moment.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd say go for it I guess. I couldn't see myself ever playing on a gameboy again though. Cartridges aren't too trustworthy either.

I only just got back into Pokemon after 10 years, but the games bore me when playing alone. I tried playing Emerald and 30 minutes into it I was going crazy from boredom.

Then a friend came over and we started talking about Pokemon and where the franchise was going.
    Then we downloaded the roms to FRLG and started playing. (We own the real games, mind you.. even though I never actually played them.)
    So we had the games open on screen right next to each other. Well, one was on the top half of the screen and one on the bottom.
    We started playing through the game together. When you can see just what the other person is doing, talk to them, and go through the game with each other it's just so much more fun. I felt like a kid again and was hooked.

Plus we can go to the trade center anytime and it works without a problem.

So if you're restarting to play with friends, then go for it. It certainly put the fun back in Pokemon for me..
    Though it wouldn't be the same if we were playing on gameboys.
    It's much more fun with a big screen and being able to see what the other is doing at any moment.

That does sound fun. :cer_boogie: ROMs seem like a lot of trouble, though. And we're a group of more than two friends, so the TV idea would be troublesome, although I believe one of them has a Game Boy Player accessory to play GBA games on the TV screen via GameCube. Anyway, I've all but decided by now, I'm going to borrow my Game Link Cable from my other friend and go for it. Thanks for everyone's input!

...I don't know how to close this thread. If anyone has anything else to say... um, then I guess you can do that, but eventually some mod will come along and close it anyway. I'm not sure it matters.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Yeah, you can't close threads, haha. Next time you're contemplating restarting your game, it'd probably be best to ask in the Q&A thread though. But yeah, good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back