• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should the Trainer be involved in battle?

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 11, 2005
    Actually this seem seems like good idea it would add fun. I trainers could get hit but not attack. and could jump infront of attacks.

It does sound a bit mean kicking a little pikachu, but for all of those who say it would be called back because it is inhumane... HAVE YOU PLAYED ANY GAME BESIDES POKEMON! There are tons of game where the hero fights animals and mutants and other things like that. The rating might get moved to teen possibly, but not call back. THERE ARE GAMES ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE FOR GODS SAKE!

Also all my games are rated "T", except pokemon and they are interseting and fun you probaly just played a bad one or none at all.

Examples
    Final fantasy 10, 10-2
    Jak and Daxter 2, 3
    Tony Hawk
    Dargon Ball Z
    Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
    Cel Damage
    Ratchet and Clank, 2 goind commando, 3 up your arsonal

If you don't like at least one of those your weird and messed up or you haven't play them.

Also what you've said early that a pokemon killing a person would make it "M". your obviously young and lived a sheltered life, because you have no idea what kind of games are out there because "M" means Murder, Sex, and other criminal things(if you know what any of that is), not mutant creatures make a person faint, That might be a teen rated game but most likelt "T".

Last edited:

Asher

Just your ordinary evil...
    Years

I was talking about 'M' GAME ratings. Not movie ratings. >_>; egads people.
    Those 'T' games are also inhumane. Murderous games should've been called back a long time ago. It's against religion and law to murder a person. But the goverment allows games like that to pass the censor.

BACK ON TOPIC: how would killing your character be fun? This is human trainer, not Pokemon. While Pokemon have to ability to understand human, have feelings and attack with mysterious energy they also have the ability to live with this elements and not get hurt much. Humans are vunerable to any kind of special attack. Imagine a electric type hurting a human with an electric attack. wouldn't the human die because their body is about 70% water and 30% flesh? or a fighting type punching/kicking/bruising the human? torture at its worst.

If you say no, man are you dumb. Besides, strategy is lost here since if the human ''could'' withstand the attacks, they'd be blocking forever until you get a hit. O_o;; AND HOW THE LIVING HELL CAN YOU BLOCK WHEN THAT CREATURE ATTACKS YOU?!

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    what are you talking about? I love games that are T rating. I love lots of fighting and blood, and Dot Hack! lol. And Diablo is fun as well. I guess you can't enjoy games like that yet...

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Mr Cat Dog said:
    Whilst I completely agree with you that the trainer would have been in just as much danger as the Pokemon, I'd hardly expect anyone to go up to even a Rattata and try and punch it. If the trainer would be killed (heaven forbid XD), then your effects would come into place, but if the trainer didn't die - then they wouldn't have HP, since a human's health cannot be measured with a numbered scale.

Here we go with the numbers again... First of all, if that was the case, Pokemon wouldn't have HP either, since realistically you wouldn't measure their 'health' (as you conveniently put it) with numbers either. Not a true gamer, are we?

What are Hit Points?

Since there is SO much confusion regarding this, let me explain a few things about the origin of HP. Try and bear with me here. You're about to get a little history lesson regarding the modern RPG, and if you pay attention, you might actually learn something.

In the early 70s a man named Gary Giygax came up with a new type of table-top RPG called Dungeons and Dragons. It involved a group of people getting together and creating Characters and Adventures using a set of complex rules involving charts, sheets, and dice rolling.

The great thing about this was the fact that there was no limit on the ways the game could be played, from coming up with new adventures to even re-writing some of the rules to make the game more fun and interesting.

In fact, it spawned Advanced D&D and 2 new Editions based on the original game, with re-written rules and new things that could be added into the adventures.

Anyway, that is when Hit Points became commonplace and a regularly used household name. (The term was around before this, but not as widely known.)

The definition of Hit Points, in accordance with my 2nd Edition AD&D Players Handbook is as follows: a number representing 1.) how much damage a character or creature can suffer before being killed, determined by Hit Dice. The Hit Points lost to injury can usually be regained by rest or healing; 2.) how much damage a specific attack does, determined by weapon or monster statistics, and subtracted from a player's total.

Since in Pokemon there are no weapons, it would be based on monster statistics, and the damage that said monsters could do with their abilities. As for Hit Dice, what level the creature is on determines how many HP they have, since dice aren't rolled to figure this out; there is a variable system set up for this.

Why did I use D&D as the Reference?

Any true gamer would know the answer to this, but I'll explain it anyway. Every RPG that was EVER made for ANY CONSOLE, hand-held or not, was inspired in some way, shape, or form, by Dungeons and Dragons. So when you go on about humans/people not having HP, remember that Pokemon IS an RPG and also remember where the modern RPG came from, and the rest should fall cleanly and simply into place.

The bottom line is that if the Trainer would be personally involved in battle and not on the sidelines, only the tactics of the game would be changed, not the concept. The only way the concept would change is if the designers decided to take the overall story in a different direction, but that's a story for another time.

Last edited:

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    Naah, I don't think it would be a bad idea if it was real, but since Pokemon is fiction only Pokemon have to be involved in the fight. This is what the game is all about and that's why they are called pokemon battles.
    And then, if I was to be involved into fights i would kick even more trainers' butts :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    SBaby said:
    Not a true gamer, are we?

Of course not. I've played barely any video games in my life compared to some of the people on these boards, but that's no reason to criticise me on my own knowledge of Pokemon and vido games. Who are you to judge if I'm a true gamer or not anyways? Please don't be so rude in future. Thank you.

If the trainer had Hit Points that would ultimately make it part of the battle, which would be completely true. But unlike other RPGs, humans can do virtually nothing in battle, unless they are physically beating up other trainers. They have no weapons, unless they include their own Pokemon, they have no statistical data, they have nothing to defend themselves with. They are completely out in the open. Whilst they are at risk of being beaten, they won't be able to do a thing about it unless the trainer runs away. With that in mind, there would be no relevant need for a trainer to have Hit Points, unless action commands that took place when the Pokemon attacked were like: "Trainer yelled out in pain" or "Trainer's leg started to bleed"
    Ideally, if there were action commands, it would make Pokemon realistic, but Nintendo aren't going to magically change the battling system for those reasons are they?

And next time, don't speak so patronisingly to me. Thanks ^_^

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2005
    What's with all the insults and fighting words? Over a pokemon game? Geez!

Anyway, I still think it's a cool idea. Ash and Team Rocket get struck with Pokemon attacks like every episode in the anime. Might as well let it happen in the games.

Adding on to my idea earlier. How about rather than the trainer mutating into a pokemon, the trainer be contained in a kind of protection pod/vehicle, like that thing Snap rides in Pokemon Snap? After so many direct hits, the pod breaks but not before it teleports the trainer and his/ pokemon back to the Pokemon Center with it's last bit of energy. This new form of gameplay could tie into the game's story. Young trainers' parents are worried about their children so they become overprotective by requiring trainers to travel and battle in these pods. At the end of the game, your pod could break, forcing you to face a most evil villian face to face, where if you lose, you DIE!!! lol, anyway, after beating the villian on your feet, you show the parents that to bring out a pokemon's true strength requires being close to it, which can't be done behind the walls of a pod.

I came up with that idea in 2 minutes......doesn't it show?

Asher

Just your ordinary evil...
    Years
    ... yes and it shows you lack true imagination. o_O; pokemon isn't like that and why should it be a copy cat from another game?

SBaby said:
    remember that Pokemon IS an RPG and also remember where the modern RPG came from, and the rest should fall cleanly and simply into place.

O_o;;; Not all games. And while Pokemon may contain a certain amount of RPG it is not a pure one. Since most RPG's have people do things. Pokemon follows the basic plot with a few sidegames to perform. Strategy is the main thing in Pokemon games.

The bottom line is that if the Trainer would be personally involved in battle and not on the sidelines, only the tactics of the game would be changed, not the concept.

How? O_o; Explain please.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Asher said:
    ... yes and it shows you lack true imagination. o_O; pokemon isn't like that and why should it be a copy cat from another game?

O_o;;; Not all games. And while Pokemon may contain a certain amount of RPG it is not a pure one. Since most RPG's have people do things. Pokemon follows the basic plot with a few sidegames to perform. Strategy is the main thing in Pokemon games.

How? O_o; Explain please.

Not all games:

Yes. Every game, whether you like it or not, uses some of the elements from D&D. Pokemon is NO exception, and I can prove it.

In Pokemon's case, it would be a move (spell) list with a limited amount of uses before having to rest up (per day). Also, the fact that it's turn-based with speed modifiers, very much like the Reaction Adjustment during the Initiative Roll from D&D.

In EVERY turn-based RPG ever made, there is a percentage variable to determine who goes first each round. How they determine this, is the computer randomizes a number for each person/Pokemon in battle. Then they add the Speed Rating to the 'roll'. Whoever has the highest number goes first. Then it continues with the next, then next, and so on. That's why you'll occasionally get surprised or have the first strike in a normal RPG. In that instance, it is very similar to what is done with Initiative in D&D. They take a 20-sided Dice (10-sider for the 1st and 2nd Edition) and roll it for each character and add (or subtract depending on the Edition) the Reaction/Initiative adjustment to the number rolled.

Finally, How:

Well, naturally you'd want to go after the Trainer if possible; they give commands. That's where the strategy comes in.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2005
    Asher said:

Despite the fact I was simply rambling and can put myself down just fine without your uncalled for remarks, curiousity gets the better of me, what part of my idea is a copy "cat" from another game? Inquiring minds would like to know, mainly me.

....cause God forbid pokemon should copy itself for a fifth time. lol

Maybe if the upcoming Pokemon version of Mysterious Dungeon becomes a hit, we'll see sequels with some wild new gameplay concepts and the regular series will end temporarily. The Pokemon version better be, um, better than that horrible Chocobo version.

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 11, 2005
    I not against trainer in battle but I would like it if could could play as the pokemon and move it aroung I explain it in the DP wish list thread.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    aqonix said:
    I not against trainer in battle but I would like it if could could play as the pokemon and move it aroung I explain it in the DP wish list thread.

This... is the best post I have read on this topic so far... Time to tweak my game. (New Topic Brewing.)

Years
    Yeah a trainer should be involved in battle, not physically out there, but enough to where he/she is one with their pokemon.

Back