• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver's Photographic Gallery

Silver

Kyle
Years
  • Silver's Gallery

So, I've been getting into photography in the last year or so since I got a Canon EOS 10D DSLR. I guess this'll just be a place for me to post the photos I take and hopefully you'll all enjoy them.

You can find older photo's not posted in this thread on my flickr.

Photos!

So I'm not too good at naming all my shots, but I'll try my best. Most if not all will be resized down from their full size.

Fountain:
    Spoiler:

Downtown:
    Spoiler:

Skyscraper:
    Spoiler:

Corner:
    Spoiler:

Church:
    Spoiler:

Lighthouse:
    Spoiler:

Wave Breaker:
    Spoiler:

Harbor Pier:
    Spoiler:

Port:
    Spoiler:

Wooosh!:
    Spoiler:

Cockpit:
    Spoiler:

JJJEEETTTSSSS:
    Spoiler:

Korean Spice:
    Spoiler:

Creek:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
  • You have some really great stuff! I'm loving Korean Spice and Wavebreaker. And Fountains looks like an immense opportunity for free-running/parkour. ^_^

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • You have some really great stuff! I'm loving Korean Spice and Wavebreaker. And Fountains looks like an immense opportunity for free-running/parkour. ^_^

Mhmm, the area around that fountain pic was just a mecca for free running in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I'm a sap for great photography! Your pictures are absolutely lovely! Keep posting them? <3

My favorite is "Wooosh!" What an amazing shot to get! It's something like that which shows you're not just someone who owns a nice camera - you're someone with skill (... who owns a nice camera).

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Looks like you're quite talented. My friend is into photography as well, I like taking photos but I hate the ones I take. I is only one in a few photos I take I fancy. I am taking favour to Korean Spice and Whoosh, they look really professional. I really like also; how you have captured the calmness and mystical forest feel with 'creek'

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Looks like you're quite talented. My friend is into photography as well, I like taking photos but I hate the ones I take. I is only one in a few photos I take I fancy. I am taking favour to Korean Spice and Whoosh, they look really professional. I really like also; how you have captured the calmness and mystical forest feel with 'creek'

Thanks for the kind words. I feel far from professional, though maybe sometime. There's just so much that I don't know about photography, but I'm eager to learn.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Woooo! Update:
    So I went around the St. Paul Campus to take some photos for the POTF competition. Ended up with these three shots I liked enough to put on the web.

Autumn Colours:
    Spoiler:

Autumn Trees:
    Spoiler:

Red Bush:
    Spoiler:

Only thing I'm really not happy with is the vignetting from my lens on Autumn Colours, but not much I can do about that. Anyways, enjoy and give me feedback perhaps?

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Was in the mood to do some black and white cause I've been missing my B/W 35mm and access to a darkroom.
    These are what I was left with:
    Not super happy with how the second one turned out, it wasn't nearly that dark before I exported it out of Aperture.

Also sorry if they're a little large, they're definitely resized down from their original size though.

Untitled
    Spoiler:

Rapson Lawn
    Spoiler:

Feedback pretty pretty please? Anything to let me know you're looking, and that I'm not crazy just posting to my self again and again. XD

Also, I should learn CSS so I can make my thread all purdy.​

Years
  • Lovely photography! I especially like the second black and white photo and the downtown photo. Keep up the great work! (:

Years
  • Ok, I am going to review each one for you so you can get a idea of where you can improve =]

Fountain
    This picture doesn't do much for me. The angle is rather weird and it doesn't appear to have a central focal point. What I mean is it looks like it was just a random picture.

Downtown
    Much like I said before, it doesn't do anything for me. The settings on the camera aren't correctly set, but the looks of it. The sky, unless it was overcast weather, is white because it has let in too much light. Then the right hand side of the picture is very dark. Try different ISO settings and shutter speeds.

Skyscraper
    Nice picture. The settings on the camera are ALMOST perfect. A bit more playing with the ISO would eliminate the glare on the building.

Corner
    Nice idea, but the sky ruins it again. Was it just a very overcast day?

Church
    Better. The angle is nice and including the trees adds depth to the picture. If I am picking, the trees are too dark. Simple setting change on the camera will solve that.

Lighthouse
    Lovely picture. Gives me the feeling that it is a very cold place with the different blue tones.
    Only thing is the lighthouse looks a little out of focus...

Wavebreaker
    If you didn't have the building on the left hand side of the screen, it would look better.

Harbor Pier
    My favourite picture. I love the green undertones under the path. The harsh rocks vs the cool sea is lovely.

Port
    Don't like this picture all that much. Maybe because of the railings at the bottom of the picture. Look like they got in the way.

Wooosh!
    Nice picture. Good shutter speed on the camera.

Cockpit
    Cool picture. However, the blades at the front look a little blurred and that guy on the left hand side ruins the pic.

JJJEEETTTSSS
    Hummm, I am not liking this really. Just looks like a random picture. Car on the left hand side and guy on the right ruin it.

Korean Spice
    Beautiful picture. I love pictures that have one flower focused, then the rest out of focus. You could have probably played around with the manual focusing to make the front flower stand out more.

Creek
    Nice idea. However, I think you have the focusing the wrong way around. However, I think the whole picture should be focused correctly and evenly. A picture like this doesn't really need to have a focal point, because the picture explains itself. However, if you wanted to pick one and what I would have chosen, would be the stream.

Overall
    You have got the right idea, you just need to execute the picture taking a little better. Before taking a picture, stop and think about what is around it. How much light is in the area you are. Play with the cameras settings. Change them for every picture if you are in a different location.

Good effort though. Hope to see more stuff.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Ok, I am going to review each one for you so you can get a idea of where you can improve =]

Fountain
    This picture doesn't do much for me. The angle is rather weird and it doesn't appear to have a central focal point. What I mean is it looks like it was just a random picture.

Downtown
    Much like I said before, it doesn't do anything for me. The settings on the camera aren't correctly set, but the looks of it. The sky, unless it was overcast weather, is white because it has let in too much light. Then the right hand side of the picture is very dark. Try different ISO settings and shutter speeds.

Skyscraper
    Nice picture. The settings on the camera are ALMOST perfect. A bit more playing with the ISO would eliminate the glare on the building.

Corner
    Nice idea, but the sky ruins it again. Was it just a very overcast day?

Church
    Better. The angle is nice and including the trees adds depth to the picture. If I am picking, the trees are too dark. Simple setting change on the camera will solve that.

Lighthouse
    Lovely picture. Gives me the feeling that it is a very cold place with the different blue tones.
    Only thing is the lighthouse looks a little out of focus...

Wavebreaker
    If you didn't have the building on the left hand side of the screen, it would look better.

Harbor Pier
    My favourite picture. I love the green undertones under the path. The harsh rocks vs the cool sea is lovely.

Port
    Don't like this picture all that much. Maybe because of the railings at the bottom of the picture. Look like they got in the way.

Wooosh!
    Nice picture. Good shutter speed on the camera.

Cockpit
    Cool picture. However, the blades at the front look a little blurred and that guy on the left hand side ruins the pic.

JJJEEETTTSSS
    Hummm, I am not liking this really. Just looks like a random picture. Car on the left hand side and guy on the right ruin it.

Korean Spice
    Beautiful picture. I love pictures that have one flower focused, then the rest out of focus. You could have probably played around with the manual focusing to make the front flower stand out more.

Creek
    Nice idea. However, I think you have the focusing the wrong way around. However, I think the whole picture should be focused correctly and evenly. A picture like this doesn't really need to have a focal point, because the picture explains itself. However, if you wanted to pick one and what I would have chosen, would be the stream.

Overall
    You have got the right idea, you just need to execute the picture taking a little better. Before taking a picture, stop and think about what is around it. How much light is in the area you are. Play with the cameras settings. Change them for every picture if you are in a different location.

Good effort though. Hope to see more stuff.

First of all, thanks for the constructive crit, this has been what I've been after. XD Second, I figure I just answer any questions you posed in your comments.

Fountain
    I agree with you on the composition. The more I look at it, the more I wonder what I was actually trying to convey.

Downtown
    If I remember correctly the sky was overcast on that day, but I don't have the rest of the shots I took that day on this computer to look at, at this moment. I see what you're saying about the right hand side. On the topic of ISO, I understand what it is, I just have no idea how it really impacts photos other than noise, I should probably go out someday and figure out how exactly it impacts photos.

Skyscraper
    Again my lack of knowledge of ISO gets me. What would you have suggested ISO wise for that shot? IIRC, it was shot at ISO 400.

Corner
    Again, I believe it was a bit of an overcast day, but really thanks for pointing that whiteness out, I'd never actually noticed it. I need to look at the RAW for that shot again because I'm not quite sure if that whiteness is a result of my post.

Church
    I agree the trees are to dark, that's actually my fault not the cameras. I believe that a result of my post-processing, I probably could fix that if I pulled the RAW in Photoshop and did a localized edit on it rather than blanket in Aperture like it is now.

Lighthouse
    Funny thing is, it wasn't cold at all that day, in fact it was a fair summer day, a storm was just coming in so it might've been a bit cooler than normal. I went through many iterations of that shot in post trying to get one I felt got the details of the pier/walkout visible yet retained the blues without going too dark or too green.

Wavebreaker
    Would you suggest cropping the photo in that case? I've never experimented with cropping (outside of b/w film printing).

Harbor Pier
    Thank you. What I personally enjoyed (other than what you've already stated) is the linearity that the rocks and the pier give, sorta directing the eye from the left to right, creating movement in the piece. Would you agree?

Port
    Railings seem to be the result of my Canon having a 90% viewfinder. Thanks for pointing that out.

Wooosh!
    Thank you. It was 1/100th if you're interested.

Cockpit
    I agree, but lord, there were so many people at that air show, it was practically a necessary evil to have him in that. Though I agree that it would definitely be better without him.

JJJEEETTTSSS
    Again, I agree, the people and the car ruin it.

Korean Spice
    That was manual actually, my autofocus started freaking out on me at that distance so I just did the best of my abilities to get if focused. It shots like these that make me wish I had a faster prime to get a better bokah effect.

Creek
    I agree on the focal point, but again, I was just letting the autofocus guess. I wasn't actually looking through the viewfinder at that time, because it would've been impossible for me to get down at the level of the camera and still remain dry. XD

But really, thanks for all the comments and critiques. I hope to use that knowledge to better my photography. =)

Years
  • Downtown
    If I remember correctly the sky was overcast on that day, but I don't have the rest of the shots I took that day on this computer to look at, at this moment. I see what you're saying about the right hand side. On the topic of ISO, I understand what it is, I just have no idea how it really impacts photos other than noise, I should probably go out someday and figure out how exactly it impacts photos.

That is honestly the best way to do it. I did this and it is the best thing to do. Better than any tutorial you can read or watch. It gives you a better understanding of how you can use it in different situations.

Wavebreaker
    Would you suggest cropping the photo in that case? I've never experimented with cropping (outside of b/w film printing).

If you like, but a good photographer will never need to crop a photo. Keep that in mind when taking a picture. However, some things just can't be helped.

Harbor Pier
    Thank you. What I personally enjoyed (other than what you've already stated) is the linearity that the rocks and the pier give, sorta directing the eye from the left to right, creating movement in the piece. Would you agree?

I do agree. =]

But really, thanks for all the comments and critiques. I hope to use that knowledge to better my photography. =)

Not a problem. I like to pass on my knowledge, since I have about 4-5 years experience in photography now. =]

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • If you like, but a good photographer will never need to crop a photo. Keep that in mind when taking a picture. However, some things just can't be helped.

Aye, that's what I figured and is why I never crop my photos.

Not a problem. I like to pass on my knowledge, since I have about 4-5 years experience in photography now. =]
    Well thanks once again. I'm coming up on just under a year of photography now, and hopefully will be getting into another class at university next semester, provided it's not full by the time I finally get to register.

Years
  • Funny thing is, I have never EVER taken a class or tutorial of photography.

Just a hobby I worked on. So you will be better than me soon ;)

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Not entirely sure if I can post in this one or if I need to make a new one, whatever.

Four new photos since the weather was so nice out.

Alas, sorry for the large size, I sized them down a bit, but apparently that's still a bit large for web!

Bridge:
    Spoiler:

Stairs:
    Spoiler:

Pathway:
    Spoiler:

Beach:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I think it is ok in here, from what I remember... Gavin told me it is ok when I bumped mine up, I think! XD

Good to see you taking some new pictures. As usual, I will review them! 8D

First Picture
    Nice idea, but the lighting on the right hand side is way too dark. This is, no doubt, due to the shadows in the picture, but if you played with the ISO, I am sure you could have improved on it. Also, try using a quicker shutter speed, that will crispen up the water.

Second Picture
    I like this picture. I can't really pick up on anything to improve! AHA, found something! XD
    Very small, but on the left hand side, the bottom wooden banner is a little out of focus. But other than that, I do like it.

Third Picture
    Again, this is nice. The framing is good and I like the way the path becomes central in the distance.

Fourth Picture
    This is my favourite of them all. It is just a shame that the shadows are dominating the front end of the picture. If they weren't there, then I think this would be stunning. Lovely setting though.

You are improving! 8D
    Keep it up.​

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I think it is ok in here, from what I remember... Gavin told me it is ok when I bumped mine up, I think! XD

Good to see you taking some new pictures. As usual, I will review them! 8D

First Picture
    Nice idea, but the lighting on the right hand side is way too dark. This is, no doubt, due to the shadows in the picture, but if you played with the ISO, I am sure you could have improved on it. Also, try using a quicker shutter speed, that will crispen up the water.

Second Picture
    I like this picture. I can't really pick up on anything to improve! AHA, found something! XD
    Very small, but on the left hand side, the bottom wooden banner is a little out of focus. But other than that, I do like it.

Third Picture
    Again, this is nice. The framing is good and I like the way the path becomes central in the distance.

Fourth Picture
    This is my favourite of them all. It is just a shame that the shadows are dominating the front end of the picture. If they weren't there, then I think this would be stunning. Lovely setting though.

You are improving! 8D
    Keep it up.​

Thanks for the critique as usual Fabio! Definitely enjoy seeing what's in need of improvement.

1. I definitely agree with you, the lighting in that area was very weird, and I'm still getting used to ISO and how it affects my pictures, haha. And I've been trying to keep it lower (this photo was at 200 iirc) because once I get to about 800 I get a visible amount of noise because my body's fairly old.

2. I see what you're saying, probably could've fixed that by bumping the aperture up a stop or two.

3. Thanks! I've been working lately on improving my composition, and I had about 4 or 5 different compositions of this walkway and this ended up being my best.

4. You would not believe how much time I spent editing the one from the RAW. During my course of the getting colours corrected (imo) I managed to blow out the whites in the snow (as you can see) and I spent forever trying to fix that while retaining the colour I have.

Thanks for the complements on the setting, I think if I hadn't been shooting at midday, but perhaps earlier in the morning (the sun would be over the lake) it might've alleviated the problems with the shadows

Once again thanks for the crit. I always enjoy talking photography with a fellow photographer. :D

Years
  • Not a problem.
    I enjoy critiquing your work, because I can see you getting better at it, so it makes me happy as a fellow photographer! :3

I enjoy chatting about it too. You are welcome to add me on MSN if you want to ask quick questions or just chat in general!

Keep it up, seriously! I expect to see lots more in the near future.​

Back