• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Moves Challenge

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
Years
  • Introduction
    Hello and welcome to the 'Simple Moves Challenge' thread. This is my first challenge, and I hope you all enjoy it. Participants will attempt to finish games with pokemon, only using the first four moves learnt. It will be a challenge, but I'm sure some of you will be able to do it.

Rules
    1. All participants must first post here before starting
    2. All participants must adhere to the rules at all times
    3. This challenge is run on honesty, please be honest with your progress
    4. Participants must give progress reports on this thread.
    5. The moves a pokemon can use may only be the first four they learn. For example, a Mudkip would use the moves Tackle, Growl, Water Gun & Mud Slap.
    6. HMs may only be used on HM slaves, not used for battling
    7. If you catch a wild pokemon, already with four moves, those are the moves they may use
    8. You may use any game
    9. No TMs or HMs can be used on competing pokemon
    10. Legendaries are not allowed
    11. Please specify which game/version/region you are playing when you sign up

Hall of Fame
    People currently competing in 'Simple Moves Challenge':
    Suicune™ - Yellow Version

People who have completed 'Simple Moves Challenge':
    Emalm - Yellow Version
    Banners
    I have made a banner for you to put in your signature if you are competing:

Simple Moves Challenge

Method to getting image in signature:
    While editing your signature, click the IMAGE (
    Simple Moves Challenge
    ) button, and type in the URL
    https://i.imgur.com/DzXIa.png
    Then, click on that Image, and click the HYPERLINK (
    Simple Moves Challenge
    ) button, and type in the URL https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=220003

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I might be able to do this on Yellow, it's been forever since I played that one.

You can still use the traded Pokemon within the game, right?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Alright, I can start this now, just beat up those wimpy Elite 4 in Red (c'mon Lance, your Dragonair can't beat a lv. 42 Snorlax?), so time to blow all the dust out of this Yellow cart and see if she still works.

Alright, Gameboy logo annnnd -
    nothing.
    DANGIT.
    One sec.

GAMEBOY, sparkly sound, Nintendo...
    nothing.

Third time's a charm.

LITTLE RUNNING PIKACHU. YES.
    Okay, we have startup.
    Gonna look at my old saved game for nostalgia's sake first.
    Awww, lv. 92 Pikachu.
    G'bye old friends.

Alright, my name shall be Beta, as this is the second time ever I've used this cartridge.
    My rival, of course, is Omega.
    Time to say bye to MOM and get that potion from my PC.

Got my Pika, pummeled Omega, got the Pokedex, caught some 'mons (2 Rattata, released the weaker; 2 Mankey, released the weaker; 1 Nido male, 1 Nido female). Pummeled Omega again, no fair, *he* found a Spearow out here. :(

Current team:

Spino (Nidoran male), lv. 9
    Tesla (Pikachu), lv. 10
    Dice (Rattata), lv. 9
    Simian (Mankey), lv. 8

Gonna hang out here till I get my Spearow, then it's off to the bug-infested wilderness.

Last edited:

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • Okay and your both signed up! Good luck! Suicune, please link the banner in your signature to this thread, :)

Remember to post progress reports :D

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    :D
    Finally got my Spearow ("Buzzard"), Pecked my way through the forest and got me a Caterpie.

I forgot that so many Pokemon in Yellow learn Fighting moves - to make up for Pikachu's uselessness against Brock, I guess.
    Defeated Brock and Rival with a lv. 13 Mankey, fought my way to Mt. Moon. Caught me a Sandshrew, now I'm leveling up in Mt. Moon for a while.

Current team:

Spino (Nidoran male), lv. 14
    Tesla (Pikachu), lv. 10
    Glamor (Butterfree), lv 12
    Simian (Mankey), lv. 14
    Dice (Rattata), lv. 14
    Dash (Sandshrew), lv. 12

So far nobody's tried to learn a 5th move, but any day now. ;)

~~~~~~
    Made it through the mountain, caught two Paras and released the weaker. Chose Helix fossil.
    Evolved Spino into Nidoking with a Moonstone (not like he'll be learning any more attacks, after all :P ), took out four Nugget Bridge trainers with Dash, cleaned up the other two with Spino.
    Caught a bunch of plants and bugs.
    Got my Charmander.

Current team:
    Damien (Charmander), lv. 12
    Aphrodite (Weepinbell), lv. 22
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 22
    Simian (Mankey), lv. 18
    Dice (Rattata), lv. 18
    Glamor (Butterfree), lv. 13

Bill next for a ticket, then off to demolish Misty.

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    ~~~~~
    Ticket obtained. Misty and attendant mini-trainers wiped out with Weepinbell.
    Levelled up in S.S. Anne, beat Omega and obtained Cut.
    Taught it to Mary.J. the Oddish, my dear little slave until I get a Krabby.
    Cut into Surge's gym, took everyone out in one go with Dash.

Went through Rock Tunnel without Flash 'cuz it's a waste, took two attempts, with a Pokecenter trip in-between to heal Aphrodite.
    Checking out the routes around Lavender now to see if I can lv. up Tesla and get him happy enough for me to get that Bulba in Cerulean. :P

Current team:
    Tesla (Pikachu), lv. 17
    Damien (Charmeleon), lv. 26
    Aphrodite (Weepinbell), lv. 31
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 31
    Simian (Mankey), lv. 24
    Mary.J. (Oddish), lv. 14 (CUT slave)

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    ~~~~~
    Got the Cerulean Bulba, purchased the proper bribes in Celadon for the guards, bought a Leaf stone for Weepinbell, found my Eevee (fat lot of good that did, I forgot Yellow Eevee already has four moves), bought a Vulpix instead. Thought a bit about who I want on my team; went back to Vermillion for Diglett and Drowzee. Beat Omega and a couple Channelers in the tower, I'll go back once I've gotten my 'Scope to level up D & D and get a Cubone to trade for Machoke. Batteries are dead though, no more for tonight.

Current team:
    Loki (Vulpix), lv. 20
    Morpheus (Drowzee), lv. 19
    Sub (Diglett), lv. 21
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 32
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv. 33

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Is anyone else participating in this?

Alright, breezed through the basement in Celadon, got the 'Scope, caught my Cubone ("Melody," though why I bothered naming it is beyond me) and KO'ed some Gastlys (man, those Channelers aren't quite right in the head, are they?). Left and wandered the tunnels till I found that weird little kid who wanted to trade.
    Traded Melody for RICKY (gaw, why can't you rename traded Pokemon?), who obediently evolved into Machamp when he traded over.
    Had one last dance with Mary.J. so I could CUT my way into Erika's trippy grass gym. Took out her wimpy gardener friends with Loki before evolving for the big battle.

Now it's back to Lavender for the Poke Flute so we can get this show on the road.

Current team:
    Loki (Ninetales), lv. 28
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 33
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv. 34
    Sub (Dugtrio), lv. 26
    Morpheus (Hypno), lv. 26
    RICKY (Machamp), lv. 21

Went through Silph, beat the boss etc., got Lapras.
    Went to Fuchsia, KOing Snorlax on the way because my team's levels are way below what they should be at this point in the game and I need all the exp. I can get. Hopefully a few gym leaders will clear that up for Sub and Morpheus at least, since they're the ones who'll have type advantage at this point. The weak attacks are starting to show, no more OHKO's for Aphrodite or Loki.

Current team:

Sub (Dugtrio), lv. 37
    Morpheus (Hypno), lv. 37
    RICKY (Machamp), lv. 34
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 38
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv. 37
    Loki (Ninetales), lv. 35

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    ~~~~~
    I'm just gonna keep updating like crazy till someone else shows up. ;)

Took out Karate Master (chose 'Chan, those elemental Punches might come in handy later), Koga (the man *really* likes his Venonats), Sabrina (a lv. 50 ABRA? Seriously, Sabrina?), and assorted lackeys with Morpheus, Sub and Dash (who needs type advantage against Defense stats as laughable as the Abra series'? Slash, Slash, SLASH, my pet).
    Finally remembered to catch a Krabby, taught him CUT and will add SURF and STRENGTH once I get around to the Safari Zone. Too bad Krabbys can't FLY (and Charizard can't SURF). :(
    Took out half of Cycling Road for the sake of leveling up, will work on the other half later. That'll teach those BIKERS to make fun of my ride.
    Sat around and fished for a while to level up RICKY. I'd forgotten the fishing was so good in yellow - lv. 35 Seadras FTW.
    Used two PP Ups on Sub and Aphrodite to give Dig and Vine Whip some extra oomph.

Current team:

Sub (Dugtrio), lv. 41
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv 39
    Morpheus (Hypno), lv. 42
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 40
    Loki (Ninetales), lv. 37
    RICKY (Machamp), lv. 37

Safari time. :rambo:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I'm back! Again. :P

Owned the 'Zone, got the teeth and Surf in one go, picked up some assorted items, screamed at the water for a while when I realized all Super Rod catches there is Karp.
    Put Loki away for a bit, water's not her thing. Taught Useful SURF and STRENGTH, though I don't know how a lv. 15 Krabby could possibly bear a human's weight or move huge boulders.
    Surfed on to Seafoam, taking out trainers and Tentacools on the way with Aphrodite and Morpheus.
    Wandered around underground for a while lving up RICKY, Sub and Aphrodite. Too. Many. Bats.
    Didn't bother with Artie, not like I'll be using him anyway and none of my Pokemon are quite strong enough to KO him without splitting up the exp. too much.
    Made it out to the other side, washed up on the shores of Cinnabar. Did my thing in the Pokemansion (OMGWTF RATICATES), beat the Burglars, grabbed the Key. Leveled up Sub, RICKY (seriously, lv. 42 Rattatas?) and Dash a bit.

Current team:
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 44
    RICKY (Machamp), lv. 46
    Sub (Dugtrio), lv. 45
    Morpheus (Hypno), lv. 44
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv. 44
    Useful (Krabby, CUT/SURF/STRENGTH slave), lv. 15

Now that the CUTting and boulder-moving part of the game is done for a bit, I may switch out Useful for something that flies.

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Finished off the Bikers, taught ol' Buzzard to FLY, caught a Growlithe to trade. Took out Blaine and the weird door-guardians (he's hiring nerds and burglars to keep people out of his gym?) with Sub, no need for healing between trainers. One of the pathetic Nerds' Vulpixes went down with a single Scratch. Blaine's Arcanine was the only one who gave me any trouble, taking two Digs to KO and requiring a Sand Attack so he couldn't toast my 'Trio between hits.
    Now leveling away in the Mansion, as my 'mons are pathetic sniveling weaklings. Loki keeps getting eaten alive by these freakin' giant sewer rats.

Current team:

Loki (Ninetales), lv. 44
    Morpheus (Hypno), lv. 46
    Dash (Sandslash), lv. 45
    Sub (Dugtrio), lv. 50
    Aphrodite (Victreebell), lv. 46
    Buzzard (Spearow, FLY slave), lv. 12

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    No more grinding levels out of these wimps, I'm just gonna press on and claw my way through the trainer battles as best I can.

Flew to Viridian on Buzzard for a little nostalgia - lo and behold, that dang Giovanni's back and they've given him a gym.
    Took out all the bullwhip-wielding maniacs with Aphrodite and Morpheus ('cept Tauros, who fell at the skilled hands of RICKY). No healing required.
    Faced Gio's 'trio with my own, matching levels. Sub won easily, Sand-Attacking the opponent into uselessness before Scratching him to death (not going to ask how a lump with a nose can use Scratch).
    RICKY took out Persian, Morpheus took out the Nidos (Thunder, Nidoking? Thunder? You could try Ice Beam or Blizzard or a nice STAB move like Earthquake and you keep using Thunder?), and Victreebell OHKO'ed that silly little Rhydon with Vine Whip.
    On to Victory Road. No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Sub, lv. 50
    Morpheus, lv. 49
    Aphrodite, lv. 49
    Dash, lv. 47
    RICKY, lv. 48
    Loki, lv. 50

~~~~~~~~~
    Ya ready?
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • Well Done Emlam! Added you to finished. And guys, anyone wanna join? Its a GREAt challenge, would be lots of fun

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Why don't you try it and record your progress here as well? It'll at least keep the thread posted on. :)

Back