• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Dinner
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Does GSC use the EV system? I didn't think it did until I remembered about the Unowns and Hidden Power.

SilverDragonair

Dragon Master
    Years
  • Battle Links with G/S/C and R/B?

I don't remember if this is possible and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere in the forums (I'm sure it's somewhere obvious and I'm just inept, so if this is the case, I'm so sorry!!)..but anyway! Can anyone confirm to me if it's possible for a GSC game to have a battle link with RBY? I know you can use the time machine to trade, but can you battle too?

Thanks for your help, and again, I apologize if this is already posted somewhere. :)

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • In Crystal version my friend had beaten the Elite 4 and saved right behind the 8th gym and turned her game off. When she turned her game back on the only options on the menu were NEW GAME and OPTIONS. She started a new game, saved and turned her game off. When she turned it back on the only options were NEW GAME and OPTIONS. Does anyone know how this happend because her favorite region is the Johto region and she doesn't have Silver or Gold version.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
  • Does GSC use the EV system? I didn't think it did until I remembered about the Unowns and Hidden Power.

yes, they use the EV system, but you're thinking of the DV's. the DV's are what control the hidden power, and the EV's are what control your ability to get to max stats. but since the EV's didn't exist in RBY, you can't get to max stats unless you had them there already. the DV's still existed, there was just no way to fix a bad DV.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • Uh, EVs did exist in RBY too. What makes you think they didn't? ._.

They're basically the same as the GBA games' EVs, except that there are 65535 for each stat, Pokemon give out EVs equal to their base stats (yes, all stats), and you can max out EVs for all stats, not just two.

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
  • Uh, EVs did exist in RBY too. What makes you think they didn't? ._.

They're basically the same as the GBA games' EVs, except that there are 65535 for each stat, Pokemon give out EVs equal to their base stats (yes, all stats), and you can max out EVs for all stats, not just two.

sorry, i knew they existed, but they worked differently (only a little) in RBY than they did in GSC. you earn the EV points on the way up to 100, and like before, if you had extra, you could do the box trick to get the extra points. however, there was a cap on how many you could get, so if you overdid it, you could screw yourself into not getting one or two of your stats maxed out. my example is Thorn, my Venusaur. he has the max possible for HP, attack, and defense, but he has a middle DV for special, and the lowest possible for speed. because i continued to earn the HP, attack, and defense points after level 100 with him, i can no longer do the box trick to give extra points. so, yeah, there were still EV's. i just didn't think about how to say what i meant. sorry, everybody.

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    yes, they use the EV system, but you're thinking of the DV's. the DV's are what control the hidden power, and the EV's are what control your ability to get to max stats. but since the EV's didn't exist in RBY, you can't get to max stats unless you had them there already. the DV's still existed, there was just no way to fix a bad DV.

No actuallty it was a Typo xD.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    i have a question about the mew glitch. i killed the slopoke guy by accident and now i cant do it. can anyone tell me if i can someone else?

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
  • you can always start a new game if you're that bothered to get mew. the only gud thing about it is that it can learn any TM/HM and that it is legendary XD . but if you're that bothered about getting mew, then restart ur game.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    its not that im bothered its that it never works now. my start boutton fails and my game freezes. does anyone know what i did wrong?

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    In pokemon Crystal, to catch a Heracross, are there any particular areas that it is the easiest in?

and also, does Hericross only appear in the trees that only have a 10% chance of a Pokemon appearing each time?
    [If that makes sense ;) ]

Cos I have just spent over 10 hours and cant find one -_-
    And have read pretty much every single guide or hint on the internet - but no luck!

where has everyone else caught their heracross's in crystal?

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • In pokemon Crystal, to catch a Heracross, are there any particular areas that it is the easiest in?
    There are two types of Headbutt trees, based on their location. One set is called "Mountain trees," and the other is called "Forest trees." Heracross is found in one of these types of trees. I got mine by Headbutting in Azalea Town.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    There are two types of Headbutt trees, based on their location. One set is called "Mountain trees," and the other is called "Forest trees." Heracross is found in one of these types of trees. I got mine by Headbutting in Azalea Town.

Thanks for that - that's one of the areas I've been trying, so I'll continue there =]

Yeah, he's found in mountain areas... Apparently. But I havent seen one and I've been searching for 14 hours.

But I'll keep trying in Azalea Town
    Thanks

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
  • 191 Sunkern Grass Route 24, Ntnl Prk
    192 Sunflora Grass Evolves from Sunkern(Sun Stone)
    193 Yanma Bug/Flying Route 35
    194 Wooper Water/Ground Route 32,33
    195 Quagsire Water/Ground Evolves from Wooper Lv20
    196 Espeon Psychic Evolves from Eevee(Happy-Day).
    197 Umbreon Dark Evolves from Eevee(Happy-Nte).
    198 Murkrow Dark/Flying Route 7, 16
    199 Slowking Water/Psychic Evolves from Slowbro(Trade with King's Crown)
    200 Misdreavus Ghost Mt. Silver
    201 Unown Psychic Ruins of Alph
    202 Wobbuffet Psychic Dark Cave
    203 Girafarig Psychic Route 37,43
    204 Pineco Bug Route 31,34,Ilex Forest
    205 Forretress Bug/Steel Evolves from Pineco Lv31
    206 Dunsparce Normal Dark Cave
    207 Gligar Ground/Flying G only - Route 34
    208 Steelix Steel Trade Onix with Metal Coat
    209 Snubbull Normal Route 30
    210 Granbull Normal Evolves from Snubbull Lv23
    211 QwiLeaf ish Water/Poison Route 12,32
    212 Scizor Bug/Steel Trade Scizor with Metal Coat
    213 Shuckle Bug/Rock Cianwood City
    214 Heracross Bug/Fighting Headbutt Trees in Mountain Areas
    215 Sneasel Dark/Ice Route 28
    216 Teddiursa Normal G only - Route 45
    217 Ursaring Normal Mt. Silver. Evolves from Teddiursa Lv30
    218 Slugma Fire Route 16,17,18
    219 Magcargo Fire/Rock Evolves from Slugma Lv38
    220 Swinub Ice/Ground Ice Road
    221 Piloswine Ice/Ground Evolves from Swinub Lv33
    222 Corsola Water/Rock Cianwood City
    223 Remoraid Water Route 44
    224 Octillery Water Evolves from Remoraid Lv25
    225 Delibird Ice/Flying S only - Ice Road
    226 Mantine Water/Flying G only - Route 44
    227 Skarmory Steel/Flying Route 45
    228 Houndoor Dark/Fire Route 7
    229 Houndoom Dark/Fire Evolves from Houndour Lv24.
    230 Kingdra Water/Dragon Evolves from Seadra(trade with King's Crown)
    231 Phanphy Ground Route 45
    232 Donphan Ground Evolves from Phanphy Lv25.
    233 Porygon 2 Normal Evolves from Porygon(trade with Upgrade)
    234 Stantler Normal Route 36,37
    235 Smeargle Normal Ruins of Alph
    236 Tyrogue Fighting Mt. Mortar from the karate master
    237 Hitmontop Fighting Evolves from Tyrogue
    238 Smoochum Ice/Psychic Breed 2 Jynx
    239 Elekid Electric Breed 2 Electabuzzes
    240 Magby Fire Breed 2 Magmars

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    Ah, I've given up on the heracross... 30 hours of searching and no luck

My game cartridge must be programmed wrong or something

I looked in silver - Saw about 10 of them in 3 minutes

God that was annoying after all those days of searching in crystal. Hehe.

Oh well, now I can trade one over.

Thanks anyways for the help. =]

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2007
    getting hm surf in pkmn red

I know this is a very easy question, but how do you get surf in pokemon red? It's really confusing to me :paranoid: , do any of you know how to?

Thanks,
    pkmnerd

(that does not suit me but oh well!)

jammi567

But you have to get there within 500 steps, otherwise, you fail, and are taken back to the entrence

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back