• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Skarmory/Blissey question...

zer0vrs

Zero Virus
    Years
    i have a question (i think this is the right place to ask), so i was battling someone the other day, and they said not to use skarmory or blissey as a rule. what i want to know is, why not? whats so special about them? i know blissey has alot of health from what ive heard, but besides that, and being able to use softboiled, what else is special about her? i dont battle people often (if at all) cause everyone usually uses ev trained pokemon or whatever and i dont do that nor do i use items so i dont know alot about battling moves or tricks or whatever but im just curious as to why skarmory and blissey was not allowed (although, i dont know if thats a universal rule beteeen battlers)

Years
    IIRC it's because people are seriously complete wusses and don't want to have to strategize against Blissey and her awesome HP, and if you equip her with the right item and the right attack it raises it up so that while you're stuck chipping away her HP then she can just beat the living hell out of you.

I don't really remember anyone banning Skarmory though... I know they ban any Pokemon using Double Team though, which is cheap because it takes out a big factor of the game: Luck.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    i have a question (i think this is the right place to ask), so i was battling someone the other day, and they said not to use skarmory or blissey as a rule. what i want to know is, why not? whats so special about them? i know blissey has alot of health from what ive heard, but besides that, and being able to use softboiled, what else is special about her? i dont battle people often (if at all) cause everyone usually uses ev trained pokemon or whatever and i dont do that nor do i use items so i dont know alot about battling moves or tricks or whatever but im just curious as to why skarmory and blissey was not allowed (although, i dont know if thats a universal rule beteeen battlers)

Haven't heard of the famous skarmbliss combo have you?

Well to make it short, Blissey has great HP and very good Sp Def, whilst skarmory has great Def, if you have seismic toss on blissey and spikes on skarmory (And roar) and if you can predict what times to switch, their combo is unbeatable, as blissey walls any sp attacker, and skarm walls any physical attacker. And they slowly die from spikes and seismic toss. Although it ain't the greatest in 4th gen I have found. Too many new items.

Most of the time, they are never banned, only noobs ban them.

zer0vrs

Zero Virus
    Years
    oh, ok. thanks for clarrifying it than. and yes, this is was the fisrt time i heard of this skarmblissey thingy. not really much of a battler unless its with my friends.

ThePlaya

I Am The Charizard Master
    Years
    ha the skarmbliss combo...DAMN I HATE THAT but I would't say that someone can't use it since there not ubers or legendaries.....ppl these day now banning skarmory and blissey from battle:(

zer0vrs

Zero Virus
    Years
    i also forgot to mention that Espeon was banned too. why is that?

by the way ThePlaya, i like what you wrote for your Location:, it made me chuckle:P

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    heh, as a SkarmBliss user myself, I can say with some certain that Blissey is one of the hardest Pokemon to take down under ANY circumstances. Her enormous HP, Bold nature, and maxed Defense, allows her to not be OHKOed by ANYTHING unboosted and not a STAB Fighting move. I've seen this beast survive Cross Chop from an Electivire.

Skarmory is a bit easier to deal with, however.

Anyways, people ban it sometimes because they don't want to find a way to beat it. The combo is nowhere near as powerful as in the 3rd generation, and Blaziken, Infernape, Electivire and the likes are more than enough to scare BOTH of them.

As I said, Skarmory is easier to deal with, but Blissey is something you really have to look out for and prepare for. Almost every hardcore competitive team runs it, and that little pink blob is the face of death. In fact, one of my checklists for making a new team is: "Does this team have a way to defeat Blissey?" I run Dugtrio on 3/4 of my teams JUST so I feel safe against a Blissey, that's how insane that thing is.

Another worthy note is that if Blissey runs Counter, and you have no STAB Fighting move, she can be virtually unstoppable unless you predict the hell out of your opponent.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Don't forget that now there are Special Fighting moves (Alakazam/Gengar with Focus Blast) and physical Fire/Electric moves (Flare Blitz, Spark) both Skarm and Bliss can't wall completely physical and special moves respectively any more.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    still, with maxed hp its possible for blissey to survive a focus blast, ive done it myself

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2013
    Since skarmbliss has been mentioned, I'll try and guess on the Espeon banning part.

Maybe the person or persons in question banning Espeon was due to them facing an Espeon that Baton Passed a few Calm Minds to a powerful Special Sweeper with good coverage, which sweeped their entire team.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    still, with maxed hp its possible for blissey to survive a focus blast, ive done it myself

That might be because focus blast is a special attack...which blissey absorbs like jello. Richard brought up counter. I recently got Netbattle...somebody decided they would try to beat me with steelix (ironic, using my own fav against me) and it got a ch with EQ...I used counter and killed it...and proceeded to sweep the team with gyarados since the person's physical wall was gone.

Blissey can do that to an opponent. I've personally destroyed Mence, steelix, metagross, and a couple others with counter. Why no one uses it is beyond me. The worst part being that it can use softboiled a couple times and then kill you with counter again.

As for skarmory, prediction should beat it. It can be scary, but any strong special attacker dents it a lot. IT sucks when you have something like CMcune, and if you don't OHKO, whatever power up you had is gone. Spikes is annoying too...

I use a mixed agiligross as my skarmbliss counter...it works. Really, magneton/magnezone = dead skarmory, and heracross is blissey's worst nightmare. You can use electivire, infernape, and plenty more to take skarmbliss down, so it isn't THAT scary...if you don't have a skarmbliss counter, and your opponent has skarmory and blissey, don't expect to win.

So yeah, watch out for skarmbliss. It is evil...but can be taken down. But hey, I suck with skarmbliss, so I use donpan and blissey. lol, just be prepared for the evil combo. EVIL!

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Skarmbliss = so overrated.

Seriously, even in advance it was an easy combo to play around. BOAHTar/BOAHNite anyone? Those sets were specifically made to kill Skarmbliss, and if you need more; Smarties has posted a team in which every member was bent on wiping out one part of Skarmbliss (Seriously, just check the green-title person's profile). And as Richard Steel said: the combo isn't nearly as scary these days, now that we have special sweepers capable of OHKOing Blissey (Kingdra and Porygon-Z ftw!) not to mention Electivire and Infernape. All you really need to counter that combo is a bulky subpuncher with Thunderbolt or Thunder. Just take your pick.

Aaanyway, clausing Espeon just proves the person you were dealing with is a whiny n00b. Sure, Espy has grown quite formidable with the D/P additions to his movepool, but he's no uber. You, good sir, are the victim of N00Bclausing. =O

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I disagree Alter Ego. It might be because I play advance, where the combo is tougher to beat, but I hate those boah sets. They work, but I just let my PHazer absorb the blow and roar them away, and make sure my counter doesn't die. Overrated? Yeah, but it is still one of the toughest combos to take down.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Boah sets are really just scratching the surface. In advance Magneton or Nosepass (Heck, even Magnemite works) kills Skarmory, all you need to do is predict one switch in and it's dead; so long Skarmbliss. (for a laugh, Nosepass can Thunderbolt Skarm and explode on Bliss xD) That combo is annoying and all, but personally I find that both Tyranigar and Jaskwak are far scarier to face. (Gawd, I freakin' hate Jaskwak! If one pass gets through it's pretty much gg unless Marowak misses. :\) Tyranigar is also nasty because it hits you very hard on the switch each time you fail to predict it; the worst Skarmbliss can do is a random spike layer or a Thunder Wave. CB Medicham also beats the ugly out of both. (Because even Skarm doesn't like switching into CB Hi Jump Kick, let me tell you that) But yeah, I've always maintained deep Blissey hatred in my team building, so maybe that's why. I always consider Suicune and Celebi on their own to be a far bigger threat than Skarmbliss, though. After all: those are both pokémon you should counter by default anyway.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I loled at the magnemite thing. Mullet always used magnemite over magneton...that always made me smile.

About Jaskwak, just switch to your PHazer (I have suicune) and roar it away...pretty simple. But if it does set up, you are right. I got lucky, its rock slide missed twice the one time it did mess up. lol.

I agree with celebi and suicune. I have my own suicune, and I outroar the others. Celebi is tough I've never liked tghat thing. Still, heracross = death for celebi with a little prediction.

Then again, all pokemon have their counters. I think what has weakened skarmbliss is the fact that it got so common, people just put counters like blaziken to counter the combo. Maybe if it didn't grow so common, people wouldn't worry AS MUCH about it.

I actually think skarmory is far overrated, but blissey, as much as I hate it, isn't even close to the title.

Marthmaster

The Graphic Alchemist
    Years
    *doesn't feel like reading every single long post in this topic*

and plus, with skarmory, *in response to him being banned in some tourneys and battles and whatnot* there's a strategy you can do to where he has a defense of close to 1000. not joking. my bro went up against it, and it's ridiculous. *although before that happens that's why i like metagross with brick bread and thunderpunch. takes care of them both. :)*

and yeah, the skarbliss combo is mainly why they are banned.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013

and plus, with skarmory, *in response to him being banned in some tourneys and battles and whatnot* there's a strategy you can do to where he has a defense of close to 1000. not joking. my bro went up against it, and it's ridiculous. *although before that happens that's why i like metagross with brick bread and thunderpunch. takes care of them both. :)*

Metagross isn't a dang SkarmBliss counter

Anti

return of the king
    Years

you know Meteor Mash does the same to bliss as Brick break...?

And Name, Metagross CAN be a skarmbliss counter, but agiligross and CBgross are far better.

Back