• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Snakes...Why are people afraid of them?

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I honestly have nothing against snakes. It's just that I don't know between a poisonous and non-poisonous one. So, I just try to distance myself from them as much as possible. If I don't invade their privacy or personal bubble, then they won't bite me.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Snakes are awesome... and colourful! :D But um yeah, they're just dangerous. Well some of them (I think? xD). Plus they can like... swallow you whole? Or is that just some again? xD; Anywayyyyy. If I saw a snake right in front of me, I'd run. Because yeah, I'm not really scared of them, it's just the fact most of them have venom and I wouldn't be able to tell unless I was some kind of expert or it bit me. xD

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    There are only 3 species of snake in Britain; the Grass Snake, Adder and Smooth Snake, none of which are remotely harmful to humans. I think the reason that people can be afraid of snakes is the way they are portrayed on kids TV programmes as evil, venomous monsters. Children see this when they are susceptible to believing more or less everything they are told and so still believe this when they grow up.
    Personally I like snakes, especially the Grass snake just because it looks so much like a stereotypical snake.

Spoiler:

Look! It's Cute!

Random thing I just remembered; I once caught an Adder by accident whilst fishing :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    people generally don't choose their phobias, i've questioned my own fears myself. i've been able to turn my irrational fear of alien creatures into fascination, but no matter how hard i try i can't bring myself to touch a spider xD phobias just come naturally and i think it's possible but very difficult to overcome them. i try to be a friend to all creatures, and i've never had a problem with the reptile community.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Why are people afraid? Why am I afraid? I'm afraid of any wild animal that bites. Especially ones that are quite known for biting when provoked. ESPECIALLY ones that may or may not be poisonous as far as I know. Snakes may not be vicious killers, but from what I understand they are very quick strikers and not very kind to those that invade their space by default.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    Why are people afraid? Why am I afraid? I'm afraid of any wild animal that bites. Especially ones that are quite known for biting when provoked. ESPECIALLY ones that may or may not be poisonous as far as I know. Snakes may not be vicious killers, but from what I understand they are very quick strikers and not very kind to those that invade their space by default.

Well, most snakes give you a warning before they bite and usually that's only if they are cornered. Most snakes would like to run away rather than stay and bite you. Snakes only bite when they are backed into a corner and feel threatened or you smell like food and they are dead starving.

I picked up my snake and startled it. It's first instinct was to try and run away before it tried to bite me but when I grabbed it, it bit me. Luckily it was small and it didn't hurt so, yeah.

I live with over 30 snakes (several are different types of rattlesnakes) and the only one who's ever had a problem with it is my mother. In fact, I have my very own pet Albino King snake.

Snakes...Why are people afraid of them?

Her name is Cherry and she's a complete and utter brat.

If only my dad had a PC account, he could give this thread an entire lecture on snakes, lol.

Anyway, I suppose the media has blown snakes out of proportion to be something they aren't like they did to sharks. Snakes aren't blood thirsty killers that who purposely go out of their way to hurt people. 9 times out of 10 it's us who invade the snakes territory. ;S

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Or how about this, a 2 week old Ball Python, not even a foot long, still trying to figure out the world. Curled up in a defensive ball. Wouldn't you want to try to hold the snake, and show it that this world is a great place?
    I'm pretty sure if a snake was curled up in a defensive ball and you went to pick it up, it would attack you.

If it can bite you and cause destruction of tissue or even death, people have every reason to fear snakes. Not to mention it could probably swallow your head whole.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    I love snakes. Snakes are sooo cute. ^.^

But in any case, if you believe in the "Bible" I believe it dates back to Eve. And most women are scared of snakes becaue of that. *shrugs* and its asociation to "Satan" one of the forms of Lucifer.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    I'm pretty sure if a snake was curled up in a defensive ball and you went to pick it up, it would attack you.

If it can bite you and cause destruction of tissue or even death, people have every reason to fear snakes. Not to mention it could probably swallow your head whole.

Your stereotyping snakes. Not every snake is poisonous or a 20 foot monster. :< Most grow no more than 6 or 7 feet and and cannot swallow a human whole. ;/

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm not afraid of them unless they get close enough to bite me, same as any animal. Only exception is BEES. Man, I hate bees. They're the enemy of justice. ;_;

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Your stereotyping snakes. Not every snake is poisonous or a 20 foot monster. :< Most grow no more than 6 or 7 feet and and cannot swallow a human whole. ;/
    You're just being a typical snake lover. I'm not stereotyping snakes in Australia. Not going to get into how big or badass the snakes over where I live are.

And by the look of that Ball Python, yeah it could eat your head whole.

Last edited:

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    You're just being a typical snake lover. I'm not stereotyping snakes in Australia. Not going to get into how big or badass the snakes over where I live are.

And by the look of that Ball Python, yeah it could eat your head whole.

You didn't specify a ball python or an Anaconda, you said all snakes are like that. And not all snakes get big or badass my point being a rosy boa which is pretty tame and docile. I don't exactly know where you live and what breeds of snakes you are, if you do live in Australia then I understand your concern about poisonous snakes.

But where I live the snakes grow no longer than 8 feet (and for them to get that big is rare) and we have two subspecies of rattlesnake. A red rattlensake which are normally quite docile and Southern Pacific which are a lot meaner than the Reds. We managed to get our hands on a mojave rattle snake. If you think Non-poisonous snakes are mean then you've never seen a mojave rattler, it's got some issues. All of which, live right across the hall from me.

Um, Reticulated Pythons & Green Anacondas can reach OVER 20 feet. Retic holds the record for longest snake. Which was just under 50 feet.
    Yes I know that, I've seen some pretty big pythons considering my dad does many lectures on snakes and we've had a few big pythons ourselves and I never said they didn't, I said MOST snakes usually don't get that large.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    snakes are cute =) I mean if I ran into a wild poisoness one I'd freak. (like those creepy red belly blacks) But they're pretty cute imo. I think people are scared because, they bite when the feel threatened (though most people who are scared probably think it's because they're mean), There has been stories of pet snakes getting loose and restricting it's owners, and well with the heavy religion believes, and the adam and eve story with the devil turning into a snake and what not, i think it's just been drilled into peoples heads that all snakes are evil or something.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    Because all of our ancestors who werent afraid off snakes were killed by them. being afraid is an evolutionary advantage.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    You didn't specify a ball python or an Anaconda, you said all snakes are like that. And not all snakes get big or badass my point being a rosy boa which is pretty tame and docile. I don't exactly know where you live and what breeds of snakes you are, if you do live in Australia then I understand your concern about poisonous snakes
    Sorry, what did I say all snakes are like? I didn't see anything mentioned in my post about all snakes being like ________. Sorry if I'm not understanding. If you were referring to me saying a snake curled up in a defensive ball would attack you if you attempted to pick it up, it would. If it could bite, of course.

Yes, I know there are harmless, cute little snakes, and I'm fine with them. It's those really big, anaconda's that could strangle the crap out of you I don't like. Besides, small doesn't always mean harmless. Take the Taipan and Death Adder, for example. Two of the most feared snakes in the world, but both of them are tiny.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    I appreciate almost all creatures (Excluding:Elephants, insects, and arachnids Last two are cool, but majorly annoying). And Gartner snakes are my favorite snake.

However, I take issue with something that can harm a cat. If I know it can do that, I'll try to remove it from my area. If for some odd reason it comes back, I'm killing it. My cats are my family too, and I hold family over outsiders, no matter how beautiful or amazing they may be.

Otherwise, you'll commonly hear me say "How adorable!" to the snake.

Also; Serpent doesn't literally mean snake.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    Serpent is a synonym for snake, or something referring to a snake. A sea serpent is very similiar to a snake, if not based off of it.

A serpent could very well mean Crocodile, or even dragon.

How it is used TODAY, however, (Which, I obviously don't agree with.) does mean snake. And here I am, 'fighting' a force of trillions.

Back