• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen So, About Dunsprace...

jAvAcOlA

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2015
    Dunsparce is actually my favorite. He stinks in G/S/C...but in all the games after that he's really good if you give him the right moves to compliment his ability.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Being the leading Dunsparce Expert, I need to point this out:

Dunsparce couldn't get Ice Beam, Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Earthquake, and Fire Blast until 3rd Gen.

Dunsparce's 2nd Gen Movepool:

Level Up:
    Rage
    Defense Curl
    Glare
    Spite
    Pursuit
    Screech
    Take Down

TMs:
    Headbutt
    Curse
    Rollout
    Toxic
    Zap Cannon
    Rock Smash
    Psych Up
    Hidden Power
    Sunny Day
    Snore
    Protect
    Rain Dance
    Endure
    Frustration
    Solarbeam
    Iron Tail
    Thunder
    Return
    Dig
    Mud-Slap
    Double Team
    Swagger
    Sleep Talk
    Defense Curl
    Dream Eater
    Rest
    Attract
    Thief

HMs:
    Strength

Move Tutor:
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower

NYPC(Event):
    Fury Attack
    Horn Drill

I have a Level-100 Dunsparce on Crystal(My English one, not my Japanese one), with Thunderbolt, Return, Iron Tail, and Flamethrower.

AND STOP SAYING MY BELOVED TSUCHINOKO IS A HORRIBLE POKEMON!!! IT'S AWESOME AND YOU KNOW IT!!!

For those that are uneducated, a Tsuchinoko is a Mythical Creature that is the basis for Dunsparce(It's Japanese name, Nokocchi, is simply the swapping around of the Characters in "Tsuchinoko")
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko

aribradshaw

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    in my pc, i have partys, dunsparce is in my lv. 50 competitive team 2, he knows fire blast, earthquake, mud slap (which rocks) and hyper beam

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    [rant]People see Dunsparce and after one glance think "It sucks". They never even think about it, they never try to teach it TMs, they never give it a chance before saying that it sucks. People think it needs "a better variety of moves". It can learn THUNDERBOLT, FLAMETHROWER, BLIZZARD, THUNDER, FIRE BLAST, ICE BEAM, THUNDER WAVE, ROLLOUT, GLARE, ROCK SLIDE, DREAM EATER, WATER PULSE... and much others. It even learns freakin' Roost by level-up! What do you consider variety?![/rant]

Anyway... let me say something. Dunsparce's ability Serene Grace is awesome with all the attacks it learns. Though its stats aren't the best, it is still a decent Pokémon if you actually try. If it evolved, its evolution would be perfect.

Pocchama01

Dark and Psychic Type Trainer
    Years
    Whenever I catch a dunsparce I always name it Tsuchinoko. So does my cousin :) I had no idea dunsparce had that much variety in his movesets though.... Well now I like dunsparce even more than I used to :)

Years
    My friend is a huge Dunsparce fan (he's already posted here), Dunsparce is awesome. Most people look over it because it looks weird or it's an early-game pokemon in 2nd gen (but so was Gastly), but it's got many redeeming qualities to it that go unnoticed because the pokemon is overlooked.

The stats are good and it has a big movepool, sot there are a lot of options. It's not like it's hindered by low HP or defenses.

It only takes guts to try Dunsparce. What's there to lose?

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I never used a dunsparse like many others! :P. But I have to say that it may work if used correctly with a wide variety of move it learns and serene grace.

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    I personally adore Dunsparce, but I just think he's adorable. :D I brought mine to Diamond via Pal Park. He's more eye candy for me than anything.

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    Dunsparce ftw.

I remember Hiker Anthony was the one that called you and told you they were swarming in Dark Cave....Funny thing, Anthony is all the way near the Slowpoke well yet he somehow knows the Dunsparce are Swarming in the Dark Cave exit which is near Violet City....lol (Inside joke for those who know what im talking about xD)

I would have a Dunsparce farm where I could breed and raise them....or have them as pets that can create Earthquakes once it would learn this attack. :)

But seriously, a lot of pokemon that are overlooked turned out to be pretty great.

Look at Magikarp, you gotta Splash and Tackle your way to Lv 20 until you get a bad ass, scary and the just plain mean looking super strong Gyarados. :D

Look at Feebas, you max out the beauty on this fish-sponge thing and you get the AWESOME Milotic.

Look at Shuckle, he.....uhh.....:S Well, nothing much I can say about Shuckle....except it has the highest Defense and Spec. Defense of ALL pokemon (once he's level 100, but who'se crazy to stick with a shuckle that high?) Didn't know that, did ya? :3

SERIOUSLY. If Gamefreak somehow decides to introduce a 5th generation, I am one of the many that is hoping for a SUPED up evolution for Dunsparce....:P

I can see it now.....Dunsparce evolved to: DUNSPARZO!!! THE GROUND-NORMAL WEIRD POKEMON THING!!!

lol

Pekachoo

LOLCATS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    I thought dunsparce were pretty useful early game.
    Dunsparce used rage!
    Rattata used tackle!
    Dunsparce fainted!
    :( sorta...?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Dunsparce is one of the worst pokemon, besides the fact that it learns Earthquake...
    The only reason I would catch one is to fill up my pokedex.

Roy G. Biv

KHAAAAAN!
    Years
    Dunsparce is one of the worst pokemon, besides the fact that it learns Earthquake...
    I'll contest that, Dusparce can be annoying as all hell with Serene Grace >.<

He was pretty bad in the older generations though :P

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I swear that every single one of those that I fight, it tries to destroy me with Dig. It's annoying.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Dunsparce can learn all these TM's and I find that strange.
    Isn't he supposed to be some kind of land snake?
    :|

xSeduction

Water Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!! DUNSPARCE IS THE BEST POKEMON IN THE GAME! I SPENT HOURS IN DARK CAVE LOOKING FOR DUNSPARCE ON MY CRYSTAL VERSION!!! IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!! I BEAT THE ENTIRE GAME AND ONLY USED MY DUNSPARCE! I GOT IT TO LEVEL ONE HUNDRED AND IT KNEW HEADBUTT (LOL) FLAMETHROWER THUNDERBOLT AND MUD SLAP IT WAS THE UBER PWNAGE! I NICKNAMED IT WEEGEE!!! DUNSPARCE RULES!!!1

Caps lock abuse? Anyways, I do think that Dunsparce's ability to learn such varied movesets is great, but I'm not one for training pokemon that don't evolve at all. I think it's too exciting to see that all the time you spent training your beloved pokemon is worth it when it finally evolves. But that's just me. Maybe I'll use Dunsparce in another generation if it gains an evolved form.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I love Dunsparce, personally. If it ever appears in the anime, I freak out "OMG OMG OMG!! DUNSPARCE!! <3". XD

With a hindering nature, and hopefully it'll have Serene Grace, a good moveset would probably be:
    Yawn
    Dream Eater
    Headbutt/Body Slam
    Rollout/Rock Slide

(In Generation II, however, try this:
    Headbutt/Body Slam
    Rollout/Rock Slide
    Sunny Day/Rain Dance
    Flamethrower/Zap Cannon or Thunder

And maybe the item could be either Pink Bow (for Generation II)/Silk Scarf (for Generation III and onwards), or Magnet/Charcoal.

With that (I haven't done so myself that I remember, but in theory), Dunsparce could be quite useful. Of course, most people usually don't take the time to figure out a strategy for Dunsparce because its stats aren't glorious.​

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I love Dunsparce! <33333 I even freak out when I see one in the anime.

Whoever say Dunsparce sucks, then they are wrong.
    He got a really big movepool.
    Note that Dunsparce can learn Flamethrower, Blizzard, Zap cannon, Thunder, etc.

Back